1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique Maurice Corry 200mm Fallschirmjaeger box-art WIP

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by gothicgeek, Nov 18, 2010.

1. kiwi45 Active Member

New_Zealand
    Fantastic work Mark, Love the leather also. Just bought the 82 Airbourne fig from Maurice. Your work on this fig confirming the quality of Maurice's sculpting, I watch with expectation. Les
    Andyfettes likes this.
  2. Andyfettes Active Member

United-States
    Excellent,Mark !

How did you recreate the felt effect on the water bottle ?
  3. gothicgeek A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Pedro ... I use the Airbrush to put colour on the larger areas like the bonesack, then use hair brushes to add folds and definition :)

Tony ... Thanks mate! and Maurice is a master at fabrics, those little puckers and folds are all there in the sculpt.. Luverly! :)

Les ... I'm waiting on a set of castings of the 82nd guy ... I don't imagine we will be disappointed :) And thank you!

Andy ... Many thanks :) the water bottle cover had some texture on it, I added some more with a bit of AV Acrylic Filler mixed with some black paint and then stippled the 3 colours I used for the cover ... Basically GW Graveyard Earth with AV Black to shade and AV Light Flesh to highlight :)

Details details!!
    I painted the cup of the water bottle and the grenade head with GW Chainmail and then shaded it with several washes of GW Chaos Black ... Allowed to dry I then applied Maskol with a scrap of pan scrubber to get a nice sharp edged look to the masking.

Both were then painted and shaded as normal with a second layer of Maskol on the grenade before hand painting some stencilling onto it ...

Blutac rubbed over it removed the maskol and I did a bit of tweaking and such...

I know the grenade is probably a bit over done but looking at Bundesarchive photographs they seem to have been quite battered and worn ( I'm assuming soldiers would acquire " lucky " items and such, hanging on to certain pieces of kit and equipment ??? )
    Anyway just a dot of filler to add into the pocket and this area is finished mostly

I spent some time on the helmet cover and sharpened that up a bit, much happier with it. Does the foliage strap look a different enough colour? The chest eagle is not finished but that detail is the casting !

More later ....

:)

[IMG]
    winston likes this.
  4. housecarl A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Looking good Mark, I would say the foliage strap would be the same fabric anyway.
    Carl.
  5. gothicgeek A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Carl ..... almost certainly it would be same colour but I see photos with some of them a different shade :)

Legs are now epoxied and pinned in place and I have sorted out a base, one of my cubic jobs :) Finished the skin on the hands and fore-arms so hair to add and sort out the watch and the ring ....

Sorted out the MG ... Note that it had a slight droop to the barrel. A dip for about 3 seconds in very hot water pretty much sorted it out :)

A couple of pictures ....

[IMG]

[IMG]
    winston, tonydawe and Martin Rohmann like this.
  6. housecarl A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    The metals and leathers are very realistic, Mark.
    Cheers,
    Carl.
  7. kiwi45 Active Member

New_Zealand
    Hi Mark, really starting to look great, now that you have the legs on I couldn't help but wonder if they could have done with bulking up the pants as most period pics show quite baggy trousers, just a thought. Les
  8. winston Active Member

France
    Great works Mark!!!
  9. ryall Active Member

New_Zealand
    Hi Mark

You have done great work on this figure so far. I have this figure as well so I love that you are giving paint colour info as well.

I look forward to trying to paint this figure as well as you are.

Ryally
    http://www.brisbanemodelbuilder.com/
  10. gothicgeek A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Carl ... Thanks :) Like the new avatar... Know that feeling :)

Les .... Possibly they could be bulked up a bit but I like them as is ... he is a big guy :) And thanks

Philippe ... Many thanks

Paul .... Thanks and it is a nice sculpt eh? Look forward to seeing your rendition :)

The arms are now epoxied on and the fore arms are pinned and epoxy puttied in place ( this means I could remove them without damage if needs be :) )

The watch and ring are okay ish and the arm hair looks okay in context of the whole figure ( I think :) )

Filled the gaps around the arms with MS and will just need to touch them in ( keep those painting notes )

[IMG]
  11. gothicgeek A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    The base is now veneered, varnished and waxed ( cheers Chippy ;) ) and the MS and graded cat litter groundwork ( thanks puss ;) ) has had a base colour laid down...

The ciggy is a bit too slim I see from the pics so will have to sort that, also I can see many tiny scuffs and chips in the paint ... GRRRRR ....

The paper sling hanging below the left hand is fixed and the gun is not, I may keep the gun as a separate part for transport or not, decide later :)

The boots! I read somewhere that the leather used for these guys boots was vat dyed so the leather is coloured all the way through ... I chose a black boot ...

Anyway still a long way to go and here's a couple of pics

:)

[IMG]

[IMG]
  12. gothicgeek A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I have finally fixed the figure to the base and have done a few bits towards the finish :)

( took a new job this last week, part time but demanding so work/life balance is gonna need a bit of re balancing :) )

Here's a pic with some progress and problems ( handling being the biggest problem )

[IMG]

The blob of MS on the shoulder is to give a nice positive location, and to get the gun sitting just right ...

Is that a leather flap? or metal ... my reference is a little fuzzy on that bit :)

Lots of paint off and sheen developed despit mostly covering the area with cling wrap :(

Filled the hairline gaps at the top of the legs with MS ( cos my thick super glue has gone off ) .....

[IMG]

[IMG]
  13. housecarl A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Is that a leather flap? or metal ... my reference is a little fuzzy on that bit. Metal Mark.
    Carl.

Attached Files:

• 137.jpg
      137.jpg
      File size:
      20.1 KB
      Views:
  14. bigtodd Active Member

United-States
  15. gothicgeek A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Carl and Todd ... Cheers! :) thought it was but nice to be sure ;)

Sorted 95% of the chipping :)

Started sorting the MG out ... The stock has only had 2 colours so far, next is black lines and blobs, sunny skin lines and elongated blobs ( with the grain ) and finally I will glaze it with a dark chestnut colour and a lick of thinned Klear ... or something ;)

And a bench shot for a change!

[IMG]

[IMG]
  16. housecarl A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Nice, are you going for graphite on the MG?
    Carl.
  17. gothicgeek A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Carl ... Cheers :) yes mostly graphite though I may "drybrush" a slightly metalic grey over the upper parts to try and set it off a bit :)

Dusty with a hint of dried mud!

[IMG]
  18. Gellso A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Lovely

looks good mate. The blues really set it off nicely.
  19. sam b Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Great jod on this one Mark ! i think it is sometimes harder to paint these larger figures , so much more detail ie the eagle badge can make or break it ! n u nailed it .
    Happy xmas
    sam