1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Maurice Corrie Para bust alteration

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Gellso, Nov 28, 2011.

1. Gellso A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I posted this Para guy before in desert camo but wasn't happy with him and consequently stripped him and am going to try multi-cam. It was one of my first times using acrylics.
    I tried to alter the way he was carrying the gpmg by him holding it like the SA80. Obviuosly he would need wrists of steel so I bought the Sa80/Underslung grenade launcher.
    I wanted to give him to look meaner than the original head so plan to put this American head on him. I then realised the helmet straps were different to the british version so I whittled the straps for hours, put the steel rings in and will try and sculpt the straps to go through the rings.

The SA80 is from Readees miniatures and must say it's a work of art. I bought it as it obviously looks more natural him holding it this way, rather than the gimpy.

The rifle doesn't sit well because of the pouch underneath the butt but I plan to remove this pouch and it should fit more snug, with the hand also coming down a bit to fit the wrist before i try and sculpt it. I still need to get the fingers round the pistol grip more.

I thought this project would be a quick fix for an abandoned figure and my sculpting skills are virtually nil but I'm going to try and breathe some new life into my long dead figure.

See what you think.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Attached Files:

2. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Grant,

Mate I like what your doing to this bust. No shortage of complications to deal with, but thats the fun of converting. Good luck and keep going.
  3. sd0324 PlanetFigure Supporter

Got this one on the bench also....gotta stick with the LMT .308 rifle it comes with. Some of my shooting and beer drinking mates make these rifles...they will get a kick out of the bust. And thanks UK Defense procurement for the contract! (y)
  4. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Glad the Sa80/ugl got to you safe Grant, looking forward to seeing this one develop.

All the best

Steve
  5. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Sorry I'm late on this Grant, must be my age.;) Should be a cracker, and that little bit different.
    Carl.(y)
  6. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Grant

what did you use to strip the figure it seems to have come up like new,
    I have a couple of earlier resin bust i wish to revamp.

Cheers Ron
  7. Chris K New Member

United-Kingdom
    Looks great Grant,

an additional inprovement would be 40mm puoches on the MOLLE loops on the body armour or a makeshift bandolier - but its going to look great painted in multi cam - good luck to you and you are right that the weapon from reedees really sets it off

good luck

Chris
  8. dArtagnan A Fixture

Belgium
    Like what you've done so far, mate! (y)
    Following this closely, think it's gonna be a cracking piece!
    Eddy
  9. Gellso A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Yeah I thought about the 40mm pouches but that's way out of my league.
    As it stands it's going to be a lot of work as it is.
  10. Gellso A Fixture

United-Kingdom

Stuff called Modelstrip mate.
    It's a paste you brush on for 24 hours and then just wash off.
    pete505 likes this.
  11. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Silly question but where do you get it from Grant :unsure:
  12. Gellso A Fixture

United-Kingdom
  13. pete505 New Member

United-Kingdom
    Hey grant

, I like what your doing with him, the SA80 is cracking, sets it off perfectly, if you are planning on doing the multi cam pattern just be aware that British infantry/paras wear the British version (MTP) I did a ton of research on both and the MTP is based on the British DPM in terms of shape arrangement and to me the MTP has more of an overall pale green appearance, I painted my SAS figure in Multi Cam, but in my defence the SAS do what they want and wear what they want, suppose you can when your the best of the best!

Best of luck with this I'm sure it'll be a cracker!!

Cheers
    Pete
  14. jakbwrhr Active Member

Australia
    looking good. I am planning on doing something similar with one of the busts i have on the go at the moment. I choose the same SA80 with UGL - it's a fantastic piece of both sculpture and casting...

Will be follwoing your progress with great anticipation.
  15. Gellso A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Thanks Pete,
    I didn't know there was a difference.
    I might try and get hold of British Stuff for a guide.
    Regards,
    Grant
  16. TonyT Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Are they allowed to carry their weapons up like that?????

Might sound like a a strange thing, but up until the late 70's everyone carried the SLR resting on the hip (very Comfortable), barrel in the air, this was deemed to be an agressive posture, especially in N Ireland, so orders came through changing the stance, so the SLR was then carried barrel down across the front of the body in a "passive posture"...

Strange but true....

Looks the bees knees though :)