1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Matt varnish to "kill" a sheen

Discussion in 'Painting Techniques' started by Normo, Aug 4, 2014.

1. Normo Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi Gang
    Long time since I posted, just getting back into it and need a bit of advice
    I have painted some oxen (Oils on acrylic) and they have dried with a sheen I need a recommendation for a good spray tin matt varnish (Not thru an airbrush) I know that times have changed over the years and products have become more reliable so I am hoping one of the more modern products will help
    All ideas welcome
    Thanks
    John
  2. Tubby-Nuts2 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hello John! .. For such tasks I invariably use 'Testors Dullcote', straight from the tin! .. so far with good results. It matts everything down nicely. ;)

13191927-origpic-e8f409.jpg

Regards,

Mark
    Steve likes this.
  3. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    I can't find dull coat with the demise of the local hobby shop. I haven instead been using Tamiya flat clear coat with very good results. Make sure you let the oils dry for a week or so before hosing the down with varnish.

Colin
  4. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    the testors works some of the time :confused: but for very high sheen it struggles , choice of oil paint needs careful thought
    as some can be very glossy esp the students stuff , also the base coat can play an important part IE if it is shiny so will be your oils , if you can get the oils on in an ultra thin coat then any high gloss will in time drop to a nice sheen
    or you could use a light box to accelerate the drying and it will take out the shine also in most cases
    napoleonpeart likes this.
  5. gothicgeek A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I use Widsor and Newton Matt Varnish... Still a bit hit and miss TBH but it gets there eventually...
  6. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I have tried 'em all - Dullcote included - and have yet to find one that really "does what it says on the tin" to my complete satisfaction.

At best they all seem to turn gloss into a semi-matt satin, I'm still searching for the elusive perfect product.

- Steve
  7. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Got it in one Steve, its in the foundation you gotta get right
  8. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom
  9. theBaron A Fixture

United-States
    I use DullCote, too. If you'd like to get it and you can't get it at a local store, you should be able to order it online.

Prost!
    Brad