1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique "Mateship", 1/6th scale Naked Army

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by tonydawe, Aug 21, 2016.

1. Adrian Cowdry Well-Known Member

A great subject and an epic model. Looking forward to seeing the final article.
    clrsgt likes this.
  2. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Thanks again gents. With a project of this size, it's only possible to do a little bit each night, so progress is deliberately slow and methodical.

Before I get into any detailed painting, my first objective is to base coat as much of the figure as I can. This isn't easy as I have to handle the figure a lot to get my paintbrush into the hard to reach areas.

Once the base coat is done, I start to "block" the colours. I'm trying to find the right tones and hues that will look realistic from a distance, as well as up close.

I've started adding some initial shade colours on the khaki shirt and shorts. It's essentially a wash of Burnt Umber to create some depth to the folds in the clothing and also to be used as a guide when I start to lay in the deeper shading colours.

Having painted quite a few of these 1/6th scale figures by Naked Army, I know that you never really finish painting them. At some point you simply decide to stop.

I'm such a long way from that point at the moment, but hopefully each day you can see a little but more progress.

Mateship 4.jpg
    NickM likes this.
  3. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    A bit more progress last night. Still working on the shorts and trousers and slowly working my way up.

Mateship 5.JPG
    phil_h, arj, Viking Bob and 2 others like this.
  4. Chrisr PlanetFigure Supporter

Australia
    Hi Tony,

I think you have nailed the colour of the waterproof cape. Looking good.

Chris
  5. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi guys,

A solid day of painting on Saturday and a few hours last night have pushed this project forward a few notches.

Highlighting and shading on the uniforms is coming along well. The contrasts a bit strong at present but they will tone down once I start the oil washes.

Mateship 6.jpg Mateship 7.jpg Mateship 8.jpg Mateship 9.jpg Mateship 10.jpg
    Dan Morton, phil_h, Grod and 2 others like this.
  6. Nap Moderator

England
    Tony ,

What a project you have , already looking good , really looking forward to seeing this with your washes

Also intrigued how you are going to approach the groundwork as well ...a long way off I know! ..lol

Thanks for sharing

Nap
  7. Jeff T A Fixture

Australia
    Looking good Tony!

I can't imagine taking on a project of this size and weight.

Keep up the great work, this will be very impressive when done.

Cheer's,
    Jeff.
    napoleonpeart likes this.
  8. alamac Well-Known Member

Australia
    Coming along nicely Tony
    Cheers
    Al
  9. phil_h A Fixture

United-States
    It's definitely starting to come together now. Looking really nice (y)
    Phil
  10. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi guys,

Not much progress over the past week, largely due to WASMEx however I'm back into it.

Still a lot of little fiddly things being done at this stage, but there is progress.

Mateship 11.jpg Mateship 12.jpg
    arj, napoleonpeart and Dan Morton like this.
  11. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Tony - Just a question. Will you be adding some shininess to the rubberized fabric rain poncho? Googled up some images of Australian rain ponchos of this design. Looks like the majority of the cape was shiny with the areas around the hood and some of the facings being dull or flat.

Looking great!!

All the best,
    Dan
  12. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Dan,

Yes the poncho was a rubberised ground sheet that doubled as a poncho. They were initially introduced in WW1 and remained in service in the 1980's. I can tell you from personal experience that they were very heavy and bulky to carry (especially when wet) and did nothing at all to keep you warm or dry. The poncho was shiny when new and clean but tended to lose its sheen after a while to become more of a satin finish. Once I've finished painting the highlights and shadows on the poncho I'll hit it with a coat or two of gloss finish and then cover it in dirt and dried mud streaks.
    Kokoda_060419014847497_wideweb__300x375.jpg
    napoleonpeart likes this.
  13. Chrisr PlanetFigure Supporter

Australia
    Looking great Tony.
    Chris
  14. Huw63 A Fixture

Simply marvellous.

Cheers

Huw
  15. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi guys,

Now that the Monash bust is complete I've resumed work on this epic 1/6th scale project "Mateship".

I spent most of Saturday working on the rain cloak and the highlights on the uniform.

I'm still not certain how to handle the water. I have the clear resin to create the water but that would mean cutting the legs, sculpting new legs and feet and securing four legs with brass rods into a custom base and then recreating the water effects.

The alternative is to simply paint the water on the existing base add a couple of coats of gloss and she's done.

Here are the latest WIP pics. I still have some time before I have to make a decision on the water but I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Mateship 13.jpg Mateship 14.jpg Mateship 15.jpg Mateship 16.jpg Mateship 17.jpg
    Grod and arj like this.
  16. Mike - The Kiwi A Fixture

New_Zealand
    How you feeling Tony mate?

This is such a mammoth project admiring you getting back into it.
    Colouring coming up well & expect you'll do some of your trademark weather pin get on this pair.

I reckon a layer or two of gloss water coming up legs would help give depth to this.
    Perhaps add some brown tinting to this so you reinforce the swollen waters effect.

Stay safe,
    Mike
    arj, tonydawe and napoleonpeart like this.
  17. Nap Moderator

England
    Tony

A really amazing project great painting techniques everywhere looking forward to seeing how you do the bandages

My thoughts on the base , it would have been best to have done any work before painting , I would work with what you have there .

Whatever you decide a wonderful tribute to such brave men

Thanks for sharing

Nap
    tonydawe likes this.
  18. clrsgt A Fixture

United-States
    Fantastic subject. Excellent start. following with interest.
    tonydawe likes this.
  19. arj A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Superb looking duo Tony.
    I agree with Mike about the water.
    Streaky brownish generally, frothy white around the legs and some gloss varnish should do the trick.
    Looking forward to seeing your end product.

Cheers,
    Andrew
    tonydawe likes this.
  20. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Looking very good tony,looking forward to seeing the finished piece
    tonydawe likes this.