1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique masterclass/castle Cuirassier 17th cent

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by lespauljames, Mar 18, 2018.

1. Nap Moderator

England
    James

Great update on the metallics ...loving this SBS

Oh and don't show such an organised bench ...you put me to shame .........not that it's difficult

Looking forward to more from you

Nap
  2. Graham A Fixture

England
    Yo have a similar setup as me, only my drop down desk looks as though it has been located on a landfill site as ‘my’ room is also a dumping ground for all those things that get in the way...... I will be decorating it soon and plan to only let back into ‘my’ room about half of what there is now. Best sort the shed out a bit more so I can just dump the rest in there........ those metallics look very impressive, might have to get some....
    napoleonpeart likes this.
  3. lespauljames Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Thankyou Nap glad your enjoying!
    They are nice Graham although don't accidentally spray into a full pot with an airbrush on 20psi.
    I have a sticky trigger and the air was accidentally on when dumping my cup out.. WP_20180325_005.jpg
    Anyway.. Ahem..
    A little progress.. Now it looks too shiny, but weathering will tone it down a bit, I used iron for the edges and iron/stainless for the rest, and buffed it like mad for a while. The gold trim is Vallejo and citadel

WP_20180325_012.jpg WP_20180325_015.jpg
    KenBoyle and napoleonpeart like this.
  4. Graham A Fixture

England
    Whoops........
    KenBoyle likes this.
  5. Nap Moderator

England
    James

As Graham so well put it ..Whoops !!

Reason enough for me not to use an airbrush ....Carole would go barmy!!

Very shiny end ...look forward how you weather etc ..washes ?

Nap
  6. lespauljames Active Member

United-Kingdom
    It comes in useful for the other facets of the hobby
    Burnt umber/ ultramarine wash and then light re buff.. Not perfect but a decent first plate armor I think.
    Here is the wash mix
    WP_20180325_019.jpg
    And the plate after wash
    AdobePhotoshopExpress_9ae81cff9fc2402c926b6b817a04f21f.jpg AdobePhotoshopExpress_8d4e9943181a4045864061ce1a939009.jpg

And for those curious, what I usually do
    AdobePhotoshopExpress_4a06e4d07a204948a10d9995cfc429d0.jpg
    Paul Kernan, Martin64, Graham and 2 others like this.
  7. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi James

Looking good after the washes possibly push the highs again over it

What's that wingy thing ...looks very impressive ...make sure you bring these to BC

Nap
  8. lespauljames Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Thanks Nap, that's a Dornier do335 b2 painted in what if colours, good fun build.
    I had to respray the metal and was getting fed up so apart from another wash the metallics are done for now.. Also worked on the belt using German c black brown, cavalry brown and some flesh and orange tones.
    I also blocked in the provisional cloth colours and will fix the neck and add more highlights soon
    AdobePhotoshopExpress_1e2ee8c611c74e8f9a7c7ed85fa2ba37.jpg AdobePhotoshopExpress_37076f7e953942b28b947b3a83478cf2.jpg
    Martin64, napoleonpeart and Graham like this.
  9. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi James

Thanks for updates , best to stop on the metals if you were getting bored , possibly look bps gain if needed when other parts are done .

Good start on the belt , are you going to keep to the darker colours on the cloth as I think it suits the sculpt

Thanks for sharing

Nap
  10. Huw63 A Fixture

Thanks for sharing this James - always interesting to see how other people approach things especialy when it comes to metallics.

Cheers

Huw
  11. lespauljames Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Thanks Huw, its a learning curve for me to do such a large section in metal on a figure.
    Nap, more a case of if I had carried on I know I would have ruined it ! I like the darker colours it seems to add a little weight to the bust. I'll have a fiddle with the shading and lights after work and see how I get on
    napoleonpeart and Graham like this.
  12. arj A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    That's coming along very nicely James.
    Just for information, the armour embellishments were brass, but gold is fine for the polished version.

Cheers,
    Andrew
  13. lespauljames Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Andrew thankyou the colours used were Vallejo brass and games workshop bright silver and a dark greeny copper for shade, made it look a little more goldy, its hard to highlight brass , what would you suggest ?
    I have a update, I have worked more on the cloth with Vallejo colours. And added 5 oclock shadows with blue and black and a glazing medium. Any thoughts or things to fix?
    AdobePhotoshopExpress_895d382c721341bdab35b29b921fea7a.jpg AdobePhotoshopExpress_4ff3d7dc84c940b8a3fdc246511dc0af.jpg AdobePhotoshopExpress_a2ab38134f4a4c039a2f2c1c979ba5ad.jpg AdobePhotoshopExpress_053d7f7453d44bb78ef90ad962ff5113.jpg
    napoleonpeart and Martin64 like this.
  14. Graham A Fixture

England
    Looking superb James (y)
  15. arj A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    That sounds about right James.
    From memory of polishing brass with Brasso, the final effect was almost gold-like.
    Spot highlighting with gold or gold/silver mix should give a suitable result.

Cheers,
    Andrew
  16. lespauljames Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Graham, Andrew, thankyou !
    Got the helmet nearly complete and after faffing on how to weather the metal I found an old bottle of florys dark dirt wash, ideal, didn't react with the Mr metal colour and added a nice patina of grime in the areas likely to accumulate grime, and you can just buff any off if you don't like it.
    The metal on the helmet was approached slightly differently to the plate armour, I shaded from dark iron to stainless to match a upper front light source, and then stippled random metal shades all over before buffing, AdobePhotoshopExpress_7f308b9b343248aaa9519c9aa0862015.jpg
  17. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi James

Catching up after food poisoning ( not from SWMBO I hasten to add !!! )

Having the clothing being worked on pulls the bust together if you understand me !!

Armour looking good I think it's nce to have a slight difference in colour in armour .

Did you have to seal the Florry ?

Following as always

Nap
  18. Graham A Fixture

England
    Sounds like a dodgy easter egg or just too many of them :)
  19. Nap Moderator

England

Certainly not ...not one Easter egg in sight ..it's as true as I am sat here in a suit of armour .....

Nap
    Graham likes this.
  20. lespauljames Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Morning all,
    Nap thanks mate, the florys seems like it might benefit from sealing but I am giving it the benefit of the doubt as I don't want to change the metallic in any way.
    Talking about food poisoning i got wiped out weds night. Last time i touch a rustlers burger lol !
    Sourcing some rods for mounting the bust today and gluing on the helmet . Nearly finished, then i have a fair few plastic kits to do before a mdc dwarf for a friend