1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Oils Massimo Pasquali Oils Technique

Discussion in 'Painting Techniques' started by Bobby, Oct 9, 2012.

1. Bobby Member

United-Kingdom
    I stumbled across the following Massimo Pasquali tutorial video on you tube (it´s unedited and the commentary is in spanish):

In summary, Pasquali´s technique involves not using any solvent whatsoever. He paints an acrylic base and then puts a fine layer of oil over the face in the same base colour. Shadows and highlights are then mixed into this base layer without the need for any solvent.

I was wondering if anyone uses this technique and whether it might be advisable for a beginner with oils (I´m guessing mistakes would be harder to correct).
  2. brian A Fixture

Scotland
    This would be ideal for a beginner with oils .Once the face is dry you can also enhance the highlights and shading with wet on dry.
    Brian
  3. krom1415 Member

United-Kingdom
    Thanks for the vid, helps me lots
  4. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    I use the same technique.
    After the figure is dry you have to go for a second and sometimes a third run on the highlight and shading.

Marc
  5. Einion Well-Known Member

Yes, lots of oil-school oil painters work this way. If you look through past threads you'll see many recommendations of this, mentioning that it's Shep Paine's advice - "spread it out don't thin it out".

I don't think there's any easy answer to this as it depends so much on the person - their previous painting experience, innate patience level, and what 'makes sense' to them (what seems a logical way to work) - and the specific effects they're going for.

Einion
  6. Carlos69 Well-Known Member

England
    I paint like this,its good to see some oil paint users ... I now realise I paint wayyyy to slow !
  7. RFL Active Member

United-States
    Can anyone translate the base colors he starts with ?

It`s a very interesting brown/tan base color .
  8. Cristian Sartori Active Member

Italy
    the colors are titanium white, ground pink, golden ocher, raw umber, blu cobalto, burn umber.
    he chooses oil color of hight quality in base of the pigments, for example: blu of windsor e newton, yellow of mussini, the base are in acrilic the same color to paint.
    on youtube there is another course to paint figurines by cartacci, search "cursillo cartacci"
  9. Bobby Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi RFL,

The translation is (from top to bottom, left to right):

Titanium White,
    Terra Rosa (I believe this is the same in English),
    Golden Ochre,
    Raw Umber,
    Cobalt Blue and
    Burnt Umber.
  10. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Bobby The advice of spread it thin is about as good as it gets ,its a bit like when you think you have got it thin enough you are about half way there.
    No thinners just pure paint , they are for other things later .

Ron
  11. Bobby Member

United-Kingdom
    Thanks. I´m looking forward to starting my first bust in oils. I´m sure I´ll be bothering you lot with more questions before then!
  12. Tecumsea PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    Hi Bobby, he also had Gold Ochre on top of the 6 that you list........Keith
    The difficulty was following the colour mixing sequence, I have another video which I think is better filmed than this...I'll post it in a minute
    Bobby likes this.
  13. Tecumsea PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    Check this out, I found it very helpful
    Bobby and Carlos69 like this.
  14. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    this might come in handy IMG_0068a.jpg
  15. polyphemus Well-Known Member

Bobby and Carlos69 like this.
  16. Einion Well-Known Member

For anyone who doesn't know yet, there are literally dozens of ways of mixing fleshtones so I wouldn't get too caught up on following any one person's recipes - some people never add blue, others rely on some for a lot of their mixes.

Same deal with Chromium Oxide Green, Yellow Ochre, Raw Umber, Burnt Umber, Burnt Sienna, Caput Mortuum, Viridian, Cadmium Yellow, Naples Yellow, Lamp Black, Payne's Grey and a host of other specific colours; you'll find painters who use any of these and others who never touch 'em.

You want to keep it simple, just concentrate on the basics: skin is basically a range of dull oranges/scarlets. So white to begin with for most skins since they're fairly light, then something to make orange (yellow and red of some kind) and mix them together, then if necessary add a little dab of something to dull the mixtures down a touch. It doesn't have to be any more complicated than that.

Einion
    Bobby likes this.
  17. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Look at cartacci vids he works from raw umber ,burnt umber right up the browns to ocher sets aside red and blue and works from there ,plus white off course
    Nothing specific ,no hang ups or fancy names just a colour palette (y)

Ron
  18. debrito A Fixture

Canada

Really, I am not impressed....seen better...
  19. pmfs A Fixture

Portugal
    The video is nice and MR. Pasquali speak Spanish very well and it isvery funny hear is sense of humor.(y)
    Pedro.
  20. Einion Well-Known Member

For comparison I thought I'd link back to this thread from a few years back where I posted some examples of the work of a number of top portrait painters:
    http://www.planetfigure.com/threads/faces.27804/

As I mention lower down in that thread, the palettes of each painter will be different which makes the point that there's no one palette that'll ensure a quality outcome.

Einion
    Bobby likes this.