1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Maschinen Gewehr 42 (MG42)

Discussion in 'Digis - Digital Miniatures 3D Modeling' started by kaz6120, Oct 16, 2015.

1. kaz6120 A Fixture

Japan
    Hi all digi-addicts,

Here's my latest hard-surface item built, MG42. All done with Zbrush.
    It needs a bit more fixes, but I'd like to share it.

Attached Files:

James Banner, armorer, T50 and 7 others like this.
  2. Martin64 A Fixture

Germany
    Looks good Kaz! Here are some pics of the real stuff for comparison.
    mg42bipode.jpg MG42.jpg mg-42.jpg mg42_3190ns_12.jpg mg42bauzeichnungzib-militaria_de.jpg

Cheers, Martin
    Eludia and kaz6120 like this.
  3. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Nice work Kaz (y)
    Steve
    kaz6120 likes this.
  4. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Can't wait to see castings!

Great stuff!

All the best,
    Dan
    kaz6120 likes this.
  5. Ernesto Simó New Member

Excellent Work,

Really, an excellent work
    kaz6120 likes this.
  6. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    How about an Austrian WW1 Schwarzlose HMG next? Cornell Publications offers a couple versions of the Schwarzlose technical manual with detailed technical drawings. www.cornellpubs.com.

Schwarzlose 1907 Machine Gun. Syeyr (Austria- in English)- Manual

All the best,
    Dan

Attached Files:

yeo_64 and kaz6120 like this.
  7. kaz6120 A Fixture

Japan
    Martin, Steve, Ernesto, Dan, thanks a lot for your comments and reference pictures!

Martin, thanks for references, I found some areas needed updates so I've been working on that. Thanks
    mg42-06-updated.jpg

Dan, thanks for ideas. Yes WW1 items are of course on my list.
    Schwarzlose 1907 looks cool! I cannot promise I will build it immediately now, but these ideas are always welcomed. Thanks!

Reason why I building guns is not what I wanted to build them but for these are the first things needed to sculpt my original figures. So no figure plans, no weapons. I mean, figure idea always comes first.
    That's why I did MG42 which can make many ww2 figure ideas possible.

My next plans are WW1 Gewehr 98, and MG08/15.
    Martin64 likes this.
  8. Norbert Jakob Active Member

Wow, great work on these firearms. Made also some on the base of a scan of the real arm.
    I think the most difficult is always around the butt

Norbert
    kaz6120 likes this.
  9. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    "My next plans are WW1 Gewehr 98, and MG08/15." I can understand why you want to build these as originals for commercial purposes, but there are already good versions available. Both of the Gewehr 98 versions I know about could be improved upon, but the MG08/15 from Jon Smith Miniatures is flawless. No offense intended, but it seems a pity that you are making miniatures of weapons that have already been done.

To the best of my knowledge nobody has done a Mauser 1889 carbine, Mauser 1888 rifle, Mauser 1888 cavalry carbine, or the Bergmann MP181 SMG. There was (I think) a Bergmann in a kit, but I think the kit is OOP.

I have lots more reference photos for the Schwarzlose and you are welcome to them, but I think the book would be the best reference because it would provide detailed measurements.

All the best,
    Dan

Attached Files:

kaz6120 likes this.
  10. kaz6120 A Fixture

Japan
    Norbert,
    Thanks a lot for your comments and and yes around butt is a bit difficult. :)

Dan,
    Thanks a lot for your straightforward opinion, and I understand what you mean.

But why I'm doing this is because it's already commercially available / not, but I need weapons with my copyrights which is usable for commercial figures without worrying about license.
    and also I'm doing this not only for 1/16 scale, but also other scales. I just want to start from the very standard weapons.

Thanks for your ideas and references, they will be in my to-do list. thanks! :) and ww1 French and British guns are also in my to-do list

--

Okay.... I'm finishing Gewehr 98 too, BTW....
    gewehr98-kar98k.jpg
    Martin64 likes this.
  11. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Cheers Kaz - I understood about the commercial copyright issues and the ability to make them in other scales using digital technology. Your 98 rifle and AZ carbine both look fine so far. Is that the 1917 AZ? If yes, should it have the rifle strap insert in the stock?

All the best,
    Dan

Attached Files:

kaz6120 likes this.
  12. Tubby-Nuts2 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    :confused:! @ What scale ? .. :wideyed:

Mark.
  13. Martin64 A Fixture

Germany
    My pleasure Kaz! The added details look great. I eagerly look forward to your future figure projects.
    All the best!
    Martin
  14. thekoncepts Member

Hard surface aint easy and this looks great! Keep the updates coming. Excited to see it printed and painted etc.
    kaz6120 likes this.
  15. kaz6120 A Fixture

Japan
    thekoncepts, thanks a lot for your comments on my old post. :)

These are done for future commercial projects, you will see it in somewhere in the future products.
    and...yes, hard surface is not always easy in ZBrush but since Zmodeler is implemented, It's fun for me now. :)
  16. kaz6120 A Fixture

Japan
    Hi all.

I 3D-printed this one in 1/24 scale for my future project.
    Comparing with Preiser's 1/24 MG42 in 2nd picture.

Attached Files:

armorer, Martin64, Joe55 and 2 others like this.
  17. kaz6120 A Fixture

Japan
    I received this image today that I purchased to print out at Reedoak (as you may know they do amazing 3D scan figures) , and they did SUPER job for my MG42.
    The bigger one on the left is 1/16 and the smaller one in front of the figure is 1/24, same as I previously posted one. The german soldier figure is Reedoak's 1/24 scale 3D scanned figure.

Attached Files:

• 24ba.jpg
      24ba.jpg
      File size:
      212.4 KB
      Views:
  18. James Banner New Member

I love the look of these. They turned out amazing in all the scales.