1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Mary Rose archer 1545 in 1/6th .

Discussion in 'Completed Figures' started by Tony Barton, Oct 15, 2013.

1. Tony Barton Active Member

United-States
    This figure is based on the archaeology from the famous wreck raised in the 1980s , and now displayed in the recently opened new museum in Portsmouth.
    The set he stands on is a fairly notional evocation of the aftercastle rather than a precise model, since I don't think the upperworks survived.
    He's dressed in a leather jerkin based on fragments found, and the hose and doublet are typical of the figures in the Cowdray House paintings.
    His bow , arrows, and bracer are also based on the finds....

[IMG]

The bow is made of yew, and actually works, thought the figure himself can't hold it drawn, because his joints aren't stiff enough ! The arrows have green coloured glue holding on the fletchings, and are carried in an arrow bag made of waxed linen. The leather spacers inside these were found with the arrows still in them, thought the linen had vanished.
    The articulated body underneath is by Soldier story, but everything else is made by me.

[IMG]
    garyhiggins, Stephan, swralph and 4 others like this.
  2. Barke02 Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Beautifully sculpted head and hands Tony, and I like the in-scale beard.

Best regards,
    Jon.
  3. swralph A Fixture

excellent model