1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Marius's mule

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Roc, Aug 7, 2004.

1. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Ed and Guy, thanks, that's a good idea I'll take into consideration.

Cheers.

Roc. :)
  2. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hey Roc!

Looks great so far, looking forward to see this figure come to life!
  3. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Anders, thanks man, I'm glad you like him so far.

Our old , exausted Roman mule will slowly but surly come to life.

Cheers

4. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Hey guys just started work on the arms and legs, as soon as their finished, I'll post some pictures.

Cheers.

5. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Richard, thanks for that, I do appreciate it.

Unfortunately my wife has decided that the kitchen floor needs new tiles,therefore our Mule has been put temporaraly on a brief hold. :(

cheers.

6. Stephan Well-Known Member

Germany
    I love the way you did your job on your romans Roc.
    Is this right you said over night at 140 degrees?
    Are you vegetarian an eat cold?
    Or is it a special ofen?
  7. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Hey Stephan, thanks for kind words , they are truly appreciated.

I'm not a vegetarion, I love to eat meat.
    I usually put the figure in the oven before I go to bed at night, and take it out before my wife uses the oven for cooking,most of the time we use the microwave for cooking.

Cheers.

8. Roc Active Member

United-States
    This is the contraption that are mule carried over his back.
    This burden weighed 90 pounds or more, and often had to be carried up to 20 miles a day!

[IMG]

The pugio or dagger was worn on the left, and a gladius, or short sword, on the right. Both were Spansih types copied by the Romans. The sword was a terrible stabbing weapon, short enough to wield easily in the crush of battle. It was horribly effective against the most un armoured Gauls
    [IMG]

Military sandals (caligae) were as important as armour, because the legions won wars by fast marches as much as by battle. These boots were strong and well-ventilated. with patterns of iron hobnails especially designed to take weight and withstand miles of marching.

[IMG]
    The cingulim, or belt, was a soldier's badge of office, worn with the tunic at all times. The "apron" of decorated leather strips gave some protection to the groin in battle. Also, the jangling noise made by the apron when the legionaries marched helped to intimidate the enemy.

[IMG]

Reenacter

[IMG]

Can you immagine what it must have been like to march 20 miles a day in the scorching heat,carrying 90 pounds.

Cheers

Roc.
  9. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    hey Roc,

Excellent and informative post! I love roman subjects although I have never done one, it's just their culture is so facinatinf and how similar it was back then and how it is now, but ofcourse technology has changed but it seams like the civilization is just about the same these days.
  10. Jason W. Active Member

United-States
    I agree with Anders, very informative post. You don't see too many Romans in miniature that are shown on the march.

Well done Roc!
  11. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Hey Anders, thanks, I'm glad you enjoying it.

The Roman empire is very similar to the U.S.A in many ways, They are both a crucible of many nationalities,religions and races, they both absorbrd different cultures and technologies from other nations.

Can you immagine what the Roman empire with have been like if it had the technology the we have today, there is no doubt in my mind that Rome with have ruled the entire world, as we know it today.

I hope and pray that the U. S. A. will last at least half as long as the Roman empire. ;)

Cheers,.

12. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Jason, Thanks for taking the time to read my post, I appreciate it.

Cheers.

Roc.
  13. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Good afternoon guest, I thank you for the kind words and I'm glad you're enjoying reading some of my research on the our Mule. ;)

As far as mastepieces go, The only MASTERPIECES I know are those produced by Michael Angelo, Rafael and the other great Rennaissance artists.

Cheers

14. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Hey Mark, thanks for the encouragement, I appreciate it.

As far as talking to my wife about the figure, it would only be an excercise in futility.
    I if don't lay those dreaded tiles,she will go on strike, refuse to cook and I'll go hungry, not a good idea. :(

Cheers.

15. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Very imformative post Roc.......I have saved the pics to add to my own ref accumulation. Keep up the great work.......If I lived closer....I would come and help you with the tiles.......so we can get you back to the Mule :lol:
  16. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Hey Guy,thanks and I'm glad you like the pics.

I wish we did live closer, I could sure use your help and I could also see all those terrific figures,close up, that you painted over the years.

Cheers

Roc :)
  17. Roc Active Member

United-States
    This is just a little backround information on the General that forced our beloved mule to march 20 miles a day, carrying over 90 pounds of equipment over his aching back.

Marius, Gaius (circa 157-86BC), Roman general and statesman, who led the Populares during the civil war of 88-86BC.

He was born of parents altogether obscure and indigent, who supported themselves by their daily labour; his father of the same name with himself, his mother called Fulcinia. He had spent a considerable part of his life before he saw and tasted the pleasures of the city; having passed previously in Cirrhaeaton, a village of the territory of Arpinum, a life, compared with city delicacies, rude and unrefined, yet temperate, and conformable to the ancient Roman severity. He first served as a soldier in the war against the Celtiberians, when Scipio Africanus besieged Numantia; where he signalized himself to his general by courage far above his comrades, and particularly by his cheerfully complying with Scipio's reformation of his army, being almost ruined by pleasures and luxury. It is stated, too, that he encountered and vanquished an enemy in single combat, in his general's sight. In consequence of all this he had several honours conferred upon him; and once when at an entertainment a question arose about commanders, and one of the company (whether really desirous to know, or only in complaisance) asked Scipio where the Romans, after him, should obtain such another general, Scipio, gently clapping Marius on the shoulder as he sat next him, replied, "Here, perhaps." So promising was his early youth of his future greatness, and so discerning was Scipio to detect the distant future in the present first beginnings. It was this speech of Scipio, we are told, which, like a divine admonition, chiefly emboldened Marius to aspire to a political career. He sought, and by the assistance of Caecilius Metellus, of whose family he as well as his father were dependents, obtained the office of tribune of the people. In which place, when he brought forward a bill for the regulation of voting, which seemed likely to lessen the authority of the great men in the courts of justice, the consul Cotta opposed him, and persuaded the senate to declare against the law, and called Marius to account for it. He, however, when this decree was prepared, coming into the senate, did not behave like a young man newly and undeservedly advanced to authority, but, assuming all the courage that his future actions would have warranted, threatened Cotta, unless he recalled the decree, to throw him into prison. And on his turning to Metellus, and asking his vote, and Metellus, rising up to concur with the consul, Marius, calling for the officer outside, commanded him to take Metellus into custody. He appealed to the other tribunes, but not one of them assisted him; so that the senate, immediately complying, withdrew the decree. Marius came forth with glory to the people and confirmed his law, and was henceforth esteemed a man of undaunted courage and assurance, as well as a vigorous opposer of the senate in favour of the commons. But he immediately lost their opinion of him by a contrary action; for when a law for the distribution of corn was proposed, he vigorously and successfully resisted it, making himself equally honoured by both parties, in gratifying neither, contrary to the public interest.
    Some say his ambition betrayed itself openly in his sickness, and that he ran into an extravagant frenzy fancying himself to be general in the war against Mithridates, throwing himself into such postures and motions of his body as he had formerly used when he was in battle, with frequent shouts and loud cries. With so strong and invincible a desire of being employed in that business had he been possessed through his pride and emulation. Though he had now lived seventy years, and was the first man that ever was chosen seven times consul, and had an establishment and riches sufficient for many kings he yet complained of his ill-fortune, that he must now die before he had attained what he desired. Plato, when he saw his death approaching, thanked the guiding providence and fortune of his life first, that he was born a man and a Grecian, not a barbarian or a brute, and next, that he happened to live in Socrates's age. And so, indeed, they say Antipater of Tarsus, in like manner, at his death, calling to mind the happiness that he had enjoyed, did not so much as omit his prosperous voyage to Athens; thus recognizing every favour of his indulgent fortune with the greatest acknowledgments, and carefully saving all to the last in that safest of human treasure-chambers, the memory. Unmindful and thoughtless persons, on the contrary, let all that occurs to them slip away from them as time passes on. Retaining and preserving nothing, they lose the enjoyment of their present prosperity by fancying something better to come; whereas by fortune we may be prevented to this, but that cannot be taken from us. Yet they reject their present success, as though it did not concern them, and do nothing but dream of future uncertainties; not indeed unnaturally; as till men have by reason and education laid a good foundation for external superstructures, in the seeking after and gathering them they can never satisfy the unlimited desires of their mind.

Thus died Marius on the seventeenth day of his seventh consulship, to the great joy and content of Rome, which thereby was in good hopes to be delivered from the calamity of a cruel tyranny; but in a small time they found that they had only changed their old and worn-out master for another, young and vigorous; so much cruelty and savageness did his son Marius show in murdering the noblest and most approved citizens. At first, being esteemed resolute and daring against his enemies, he was named the son of Mars, but afterwards, his actions betraying his contrary disposition, he was called the son of Venus. At last, besieged by Sylla in Praeneste, where he endeavoured in many ways, but in vain, to save his life, when on the capture of the city there was no hope of escape, he killed himself with his own hand.

Cheers.

18. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Facinating reading Roc.......I always find that the more I know about a figure....the more enjoyable it is to paint him. Thanks for posting this.
  19. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Guy, you're very welcome, I'm glad you enjoyed reading it.

Cheers.

20. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Great read Roc!