1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Review Marching Roman Soldier from Castle Miniatures

Discussion in 'Reviews , Video Reviews and Open Book' started by Nap, Jan 4, 2017.

1. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi

Alexandre Khokhriakov of Castle Miniatures is now concentrating on figures rather than busts so its a nice pleasure to be able to share what is in fact a trial cast, it will be released and will include a choice of 2 heads , 2 shields but for now allow me to share the figure which is what you will get plus the extra's .

The Roman Army is famous for its skill at marching long distances , the infantry soldiers carrying all their equipment then needed for campaign , an incredible weight but carefully thought out in positioning for maximum comfort ...so many items they were referred to as "Marius's Mules"

They literally carried everything apart from the kitchen sink!!!! ....at the end of a days march they had to set up a camp and then be ready to fight ..the Roman Army's reputation for hard soldiering is well deserved.
    000000c.jpg
    Lets have a bit of background info

A legion on the march relied completely on its own resources for weeks. To make camp each night every man carried tools for digging as well as two stakes for a palisade.
    Apart from this and his weapons and armour, the legionary would also carry a cooking pot, some rations, clothes and any personal possessions.

Weighed down by such burdens it is little wonder that the soldiers were nicknamed 'Marius' Mules'.
    There has over time been much debate regarding how much weight a legionary actually had to carry. Now, 30 kg (ca. 66 lbs) is generally considered the upper limit for an infantryman in modern day armies.
    Calculations have been made which, including the entire equipment and the 16 day's worth of rations, brings the weight to over 41 kg (ca. 93 lbs). And this estimate is made using the lightest possible weights for each item, it suggest the actual weight would have been even higher. This suggests that the sixteen days rations were not carried by the legionaries. the rations referred to in the old records might well have been a sixteen days ration of hard tack (buccellatum), usually used to supplement the daily corn ration (frumentum). By using it as an iron ration, it might have sustained a soldier for about three days. The weight of the buccellatumis estimated to have been about 3 kg, which, given that the corn rations would add more than 11 kg, means that without the corn, the soldier would have carried around 30 kg (66 lbs), pretty much the same weight as today's soldiers.
    0cc.jpg 0c.jpg
    00000000c.jpg
    0000000c.jpg
    0cccccc.jpg
    c.jpg
    c00000000.jpg
    c00000.jpg
    c0000.jpg c000.jpg c00.jpg
    c0.jpg
    0ccc.jpg 0ccccc.jpg
    0cccc.jpg
    Books are of course many here are a few from my library

00ccc.jpg 00c.jpg 000c.jpg 0000c.jpg 000000000c.jpg 0000000000c.jpg 00000000000c.jpg

00000c.jpg

Continued in next post

Nap
  2. Nap Moderator

England
    On now to the figure details

Title: Roman Marching Legionary (TBC)

Ref: N/A

Scale: 90mm

Material: Dark Gray Resin

No of parts: 16 in review plus 2 brass rods ( with actual purchase having extra head , shield and a full pilum)

Sculptor: Andrei Bleskin

Box Art: N/A

Parts in the review model includes , main figure , 2 arms, shield, helmet sword and dagger , pilum parts, plus 6 parts making up his equipment , no base was included

Castle Roman Marching 001.jpg Castle Roman Marching 002.jpg
    Prep

Apart from the helmet which is in a larger casting former , there is casting lines on either side of the figure and at the back of the legs but it quite light so should clean up nicely there are also small casting pieces to remove which considering the scale is very good.

A quick first view of the figure reminds me of the Andrea release many years ago , which I suppose due to the subject is expected.

As I have a lot of pictures we will look at the main figure and arms in this part with the remaining pieces following after.

Main Figure

This is an impressive figure with the subject in a mail shirt band shoulder protection , the detail on the mail is sharp and clean and in scale , undercuts on the shoulder pieces are well done .
    Castle Roman Marching 003.jpg
    Castle Roman Marching 005.jpg Castle Roman Marching 006.jpg Castle Roman Marching 008.jpg Castle Roman Marching 009.jpg Castle Roman Marching 010.jpg Castle Roman Marching 004.jpg Castle Roman Marching 007.jpg

Belts are around his waist with the groin protection hanging down both showing nice detail work in the decoration .
    Castle Roman Marching 011.jpg
    There is a small air hole at the bottom edge of his clothing at the back but with careful sanding can match in with the rest of the worn edging.

The details of the muscle tones on the legs are very good and defined showing scars and campaign wear !!! , striding purposefully on despite the weight he carries.

Sandals are well worked as in pictures , nice strap work with his toes peeking out , detail on the feet is good , on the underside of the sandal we have the nails that were put in , must admit I wouldn't want to march for long in these!!!
    Castle Roman Marching 013.jpg
    The head is a seasoned campaigner straggly hair short with nice surface texture, facial features show a very determined man , mouth tightly shut , head slightly bowed to the right , around his neck there is a scarf , tied at the front
    Castle Roman Marching 012.jpg Castle Roman Marching 014.jpg
    The Arms

These are sleeved to above the elbow with the lower arms having nice muscle tones , the details of the fingers is nicely done with one hand being clenched , the other open revealing the fingers.

Castle Roman Marching 016.jpg Castle Roman Marching 015.jpg

Continue in next post

Nap
  3. Nap Moderator

England
    Now to the remaining parts

Shield

As he is on campaign he carries his shield in a covering , more than likely goats skin or oiled leather so would be a dark brown , after wear and picking up dirt etc , , the surface is sculpted with folds etc . with the central boss pushing out the covering in the middle , no other decoration has been put on it , you could always paint the legion details as in references, the backing has the supporting pieces in place , the shield is a good opportunity to weather things up a bit when painting.

Castle Roman Marching 019.jpg Castle Roman Marching 020.jpg

Helmet

This is cast ready to fitted to be carried , its of the type called Coolus Type G with cheek pieces sometimes called a jockey Cap , worn in the 3rd quarter of the 1st century AD ( Reference: The armour of the Roman Legions by H. Robinson and R. Embleton pages 11/12 ). Wear and tear are evident on the surface which adds interest when painting.
    Castle Roman Marching 017.jpg Castle Roman Marching 018.jpg

Weapons

Both sword and a dagger are provided similar to an Augustan sword that was found at Mainz ., the dagger is 1st century again as pieces that have been found , both show nice details on the handles and scabbards .
    Castle Roman Marching 021.jpg Castle Roman Marching 022.jpg
    On the review model the pilum consisted of the upper and lower parts with the weighted piece joining the 2 being resin ( see picture ) Castle Roman Marching 029.jpg , on the purchase model there will be a proper cast pilum, see picture for master.

0aaa.jpg

Remaining Equipment

There is a lot here to fit together including the main pole with bag held on by strapping showing nice edging , packed full

Castle Roman Marching 024.jpg Castle Roman Marching 025.jpg

A satchel again full showing sharp details as seen in my reference pictures.

Castle Roman Marching 026.jpg Castle Roman Marching 027.jpg

We have a net again full with weight , the net detail is well done

Castle Roman Marching 032.jpg

A folded blanket or a tent section , this has wear on it .

Castle Roman Marching 030.jpg Castle Roman Marching 031.jpg

Then we have a cooking pot and a eating/drinking container , both again following references I have shown .
    Castle Roman Marching 028.jpg

Finally there is an axe , distinctive in shape but lethal looking even with the edge protection.
    Castle Roman Marching 023.jpg

As this is a trial cast there was no information on putting all these pieces in place , which would be nice to include when fully cast.

Final Thoughts

I can only say from what I have in front of me for review , yes its been done before but an interesting subject , some things need including like the artwork and a fitting instructions but most modellers who get this will have a fairly good idea . The piece allows the painter to get that campaign look by weathering etc so will provide an enjoyable time on the bench and I am sure when released will be well received.

Thanks to the manufacturer for the Trial cast

I believe that there is a FB store being planned but for more information contact them at

info@castleminiatures.com

Happy modelling

Nap
  4. tomifune A Fixture

United-States
    Nice review as usual on a very comprehensive kit. Polybius, the Greek historian who started out as a hostage with the Romans, was amazed as he seen the Romans arrive at a location in the morning and by nightfall, have a camp fully erected. This figure really illustrates that point of organization.

Bob
    napoleonpeart and lancer115 like this.
  5. lancer115 Active Member

Ireland
    Another excellent review,a great advantage to have when considering a purchase. Thank you. John.
    napoleonpeart and Wings5797 like this.
  6. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Hi Kevin.
    First class review with the usual additional info and illustrations we always get with your write-ups .
    Top man.
    All the very best from sunny la Rochelle
    Keith
    napoleonpeart and lancer115 like this.
  7. mortier A Fixture

Germany
    Again very good review,the roman also looks very nice ,
    there was a similar 90mm-roman from Almond-sculptures years and years ago
    napoleonpeart likes this.
  8. clrsgt A Fixture

United-States
    As usual, an excellent review of what appears to be a first rate kit.
  9. Frank Marcus Member

Many thanks for sharing this!
  10. Red Five Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    The Montifortino helmet is perhaps too early for this figure given the Pompeii pattern Gladius and s Scutum type (early firstAD/ late first BC typically). Not impossible but not typical as the figure is mid first century AD and the helmet about 100 years early (typically).

A very good figure though.

Excellent
    OldTaff and napoleonpeart like this.
  11. franceso sbarile A Fixture

Excellent review and very intersting figure. The only thing i found missing is the "sagum" i.e. the typical military mantel that every soldier has in his equipment, so that in roman language "take the "sagum"" is synonymous of "go to the war".
    napoleonpeart and OldTaff like this.
  12. swralph A Fixture

Thanks for another great review Nap:).
    I'll be giving this a wide berth as in my opinion the casting really is piss poor(n) .
  13. custer760 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the Review Nap....very very good as always.The figure looks promising although I must say,the Casting of the legs doesnt look very good at all...some very nasty seam-lines!!!!I do like the idea though.
    Regards
    Pete
  14. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    To be fair in the very first post of this thread it does state this is a trial cast.
    swralph and napoleonpeart like this.
  15. Nap Moderator

England

as Roger says the casting issues were pointed out in review , not seen an actual casting though so can't comment ..like the idea of the figure though

Thanks to all for the comments ..this is what reviewing is all about

Nap
    billyturnip likes this.
  16. swralph A Fixture

I fully understand that it is a trial cast(I do read all of the review):).
    I don't like to pick fault with figure's and maybe I should have reserved my judgement.
    But even though it is a trial cast and upon seeing the figure I think a lot of work is needed on the mould.
    I buy a lot of figures and would just expect a lot better for my money.
    Now I would like to say that as a figure it is certainly one I would buy but I will wait and see what the market casting is like.
    All the best.
    Ralph.
    billyturnip likes this.
  17. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    I think another review,minus the historical details, of the actual casting which is being offered for sale would be a good idea in this case.
    This would be fairer for both the manufacturer and the potential purchaser.
    swralph and napoleonpeart like this.
  18. Nap Moderator

England

I agree , Alex should see thousand tge remarks so hopefully he will have them cast , to be fair I was a little confused as to why the review but he asked me to do it so........

Ralph ...totally agree ...see comment above

Nap
    billyturnip and swralph like this.