1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Marble base?

Discussion in 'General Figure Talk' started by Filipe, Feb 7, 2014.

1. Filipe Well-Known Member

Brazil
    Friends from pF

Does anyone knows where to get a marble (real marble) base for a bust?

I only find them for trophies and such, and are always too big for miniatures.

Thanks for any help possible.

Filipe
  2. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Try a monumental stonemasons, they may have off cuts.;)
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  3. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    You could try Pete Watson he does bases in Corrian ,looks and feels like marble but can be worked and profiled ,have seen his work and it is very good .

Ron
  4. Filipe Well-Known Member

Brazil
    Carl, they usually dont do the details and pedestal, etc. Only the blunt piece.

Ron, how can i contact him?

Thank you guys
  5. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Ron,
    Is this Pete Watson member of D.M.M.S. ?????
    cheers
    Richie

Hi Filipe,
    If it is the same lad who is a member of our club, I can put you in contact with him.
    cheers
    Richie
  6. Don Well-Known Member

Richie I am pretty sure thats the Pete he means. Pete has been a part of our trip to Sword and Lance for many years.

Don
  7. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Don,
    Thanks mate.
    cheers
    Richie
  8. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
  9. Filipe Well-Known Member

Brazil
    Richie and Ron, thank you guys, Inbox messages replied. :)
  10. Sturm Grenadier Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hello Filipe, One other way to find Marble designs you can use for bases are ceramic tiles, the kind used for bathroom, and floors. Another source is slate counter top, and table top tiles. You can find them at most home improvement stores, and outlets. The slate table top, and counter top tiles, have sample tiles that are perfect for bases. There are many marble designs, in many colors, that may serve your need. There are also designs and patterns in many other styles that would look good for figure bases, here is a small sample: stone-floor-tile-with-marbled-effect-natural-stone-for-floor-t.jpg Porcelain-Tile.jpg eclectic-floor-tiles.jpg -floor-tiles.jpg Hope this gives you another option, its alot cheaper than real marble, and the tiles are very realistic. Regards, SG:)
  11. Filipe Well-Known Member

Brazil
    SG, thanks for the tip. But how could i make a base? Gluing them?

[IMG]

Regards my friend,

Filipe
  12. chippy Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    hi Filipei I fit kitchens and bathrooms and from time to time use granite and marble in the installation , mainly worktops . The main reason you can't find small marble bases is the extreme cost of tooling for both in cutting and polishing . Blades need to be diamond coated for cutting and running in a water bed, polishing is done under high pressure water . I'm afraid it's down to pure economics , it's just not wort it , unless you can get some 3rd world country to make them where health and safety are a laughing matter !!
    If you want to glue pieces of tiles together to make a base then 2 part clear epoxy glue would be your best bet . And if you are thinking of drilling a hole for a rod for a bust bare in mind you will have to buy a carbide coated drill bit that will set you back another £10 .
    The best advice I can give is to look around car boot sales , lots of old stuff mounted on alibaster .Try shops that sell trophy mountings . But by far and away the best method is to paint wooden bases with oil paints using a variety of fine brushes and feathers to create marbling , loads of info out on the web how to do this .
    chippy
  13. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Filipe, go to e-bay and enter either 'Marble Ornaments' or, 'Marble Paperweight' or 'Marble Ashtray' into the search bar.
    Quite a lot of useful pieces you could use for bases come up.
    Hope this helps.

Regards

Ron
  14. Sturm Grenadier Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hello Filipe, Sorry I misunderstood your question. Since you gave no dimensions for the size of the base you were looking for, I thought you were looking for some marble to put on a wooden base. But hey, the idea you had about gluing some tiles together might work also, easier to cut than real marble, and would save you some $$$$$. Regards, SG(y)