1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique Maori Warrior, Pegaso bust, 1/9th scale

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by tonydawe, Apr 15, 2013.

1. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Jamie, thanks mate. Glad you like my progress so far. I must admit on a project like this, I find the research to be almost as enjoyable as painting the bust itself. I love to immerse myself in the subjects I paint, and in this case, I've been watching YouTube clips of All Black Hakas before I go into the hobby room as a way of psyching myself up for the moko painting.
    Mike - The Kiwi likes this.
  2. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Thanks Ken, I appreciate your comments mate.
  3. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Marc, thanks for your comments. I'm glad you like the skin colours. Thanks again for your help with that.
  4. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Adrian, thanks very much for your comments. I hope it continues to look real as I continue working on it.
  5. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi guys,

Last night I sat down to paint the moko on the right side of the face. This particular moko pattern involves several very complex three-line swirl patterns on the cheeks and a number of smaller patterns that represent un-opened fern fronds. These shapes represent death and re-birth of life within the family and have special significance in relation to deceased ancestors. There are few a few blemishes where my brushwork wasn't as neat and steady as I would have wanted, which I intend to fix when I start painting the touch ups and the highlights and shading of the moko.

The next step will be to paint the left side of the face, which I may do tonight. Depends what's on the telly tonight!! Sorry about the quality of the pics.
    IMG_0627.JPG IMG_0628.JPG IMG_0630.JPG
    sarouman, Wings5797, Don and 5 others like this.
  6. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Tony ,

Nice work ..must have been abit nerve racking first putting the brush on the lovely fleshwork to begin the moko ..this is without doubt going to look really impressive .

I have the new Osprey "The New Zealand Wars 1820-72" ...MAA 487 very interesting read ...its says there were no actual laid down designs all were very complex denoting status

Look forward to more ...........Telly allowing of course.:whistle:

Thanks for sharing

Nap
  7. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Hi Tony,im just catching up on some of the works in progress,what a great job you have done on this bust,the skin tones look great,it really looks like he is tanned being from a hot climate,the fase tattoo's are awesome and beautifully done,this has to be one of my favourites from you,i notice there is a hole in his ear lobe,is that for an ear-ring?
    Congratulations mate (y)
  8. Mike - The Kiwi A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Hi Tony

Neat work mate. You seem to be growing in confidence with every step here.

I'm in the process of embarking on a moko project at present & you're inspiring me to try to achieve what you've done here.

Keep it coming!

Mike
  9. Jamie Stokes Well-Known Member

Australia
    At a future point in time, I'm going to have to get myself over to Perth to learn how to do oils for skin tones.....

And who knows, maybe after a few hundred hours, I might be half as good as Tony :notworthy:

Cheers
    Jamie
  10. Einion Well-Known Member

Moko look excellent Tony (y)

Einion
  11. Mark S Guest

Me think is good too Tony
  12. Don Well-Known Member

Just been reading the whole post Tony and I think it looks amazing.
    What a huge jump in him once the Moka went on. Very nice work indeed.

Don
  13. callum Member

Hi Tony,

Looking very good mate.

Callum.
  14. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Nap, yes nerve wracking to paint the first brush stroke of moko onto virgin skin, but once you get going its just a matter of keeping calm and breathing every once and a while. I've read quite a few books on Maori Ta Moko and I think the consensus view of most scholars is that certain designs or patterns were very specific and clear messages relating to status, occupation and other important elements, while other design elements were more symbolic. The unfurled fern frond is an example of a very specific and metaphorical design element that denotes death and re-birth. The meaning behind some of the other design elements on this particlar moko are unknown to me. Wasn't able to complete any more painting last night. One of my favourite movies "Patton" was on, and I'm a sucker for a good WW2 movie.
    napoleonpeart likes this.
  15. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    G'day Brian, thanks for your comments mate, I always welcome your feedback and I'm pleased you like my progress so far. Yes the ear lobe is pierced and will have an ear piece attached later. The focus for the the moment is to complete the moko, then move on the the comb and feathers in the hair, the tiki around his neck and the ear piece. For a small bust, there's so much to do.
  16. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Kia Ora Mike, I can't wait to see your effort at moko. I'm sure it will blow everyone away. Imagine what you could do on one of those 1/6th scale Khkaki Army figures??:arghh: Are you prepared to share some insights into what type of project you're working on?
    Mike - The Kiwi likes this.
  17. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Jamie, flattery will get you everywhere.:D

Seriously though, your expertise in nipple painting far outweighs my own and in this area you are the master.:notworthy::notworthy:

You're welcome in Perth anytime mate.
  18. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Einion, me like you speaking
  19. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Mark, you long range sniper.:D
  20. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Don, thanks mate. The moko certainly changes the look of the face enormously. Once the moko is finished, there's still plenty to do before the bust is completed.