1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Maori Warrior, 1840

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by tonydawe, Aug 5, 2009.

1. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi guys,

This proud Maori Warrior has been sitting on my workbench for several months, patiently waiting for me to finish him.

The groundwork vegetation is sphagnum moss. I'm still constructing a punga fern tree, which will be positioned behind the figure.

I hope you like him. Thanks to my Kiwi bro's (both here in Oz and across the Tasman) for their help in researching this figure.

Attached Files:

2. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Tony, this is "Moko-licious"! Well done.

Jay H.
    Okc
  3. rodrigrinch Member

Mexico
    hi Tony, that tatto looks really really good, congrats
    saludos
    Rodrigo
  4. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Thanks Jay,"moko-licious"indeed. I'm gladyou like him.

Hi Rodrigo, thanks very much for your comment mate. The tatoo was definitely a challenge, but I'm quite pleased with the final result.
  5. housecarl A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hiya Tony, I'll echo everyone else, the moko adds the finishing touch to a wonderful figure.
    Carl.
  6. mil-mart A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Tony , excellent painting and great work on the tatoo's.
    Cheers Ken
  7. unknown01 New Member

Japan
    WOW! Amazing work, Tony.
    The feel of a material of the clothes is wonderful.
    The skin tone and the tattoo are also beautiful.
    I congratulate completion.

Mitsutaka
  8. FigureLover A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Tony,
    Having seen this in the flesh a few dyas ago, I can attest that it is very well painted indeed. Tony, the photos have washed some of the amazing colours and paint work that you have put into this figure, a shame, but I know that they are there. Awesome work.
    Ben
  9. rheath Active Member

South-Africa
    Maori warrior.

Super figure as always mate, the close-ups are even nicer, as usual a very well completed piece.

Thanks for posting, RobH.:)
  10. Jeff T Well-Known Member

Australia

Beautiful work Tony!!

Yes, the tattoo on the face is superb, not to take anything away from the rest of the figure, it looks great all round.

Cheers,
    Jeff.
  11. Mark S Guest

Beautiful result,Tony!
    It's a great figure and you really have brought out the best in it.
    Great painting mate.
    The only very picky criticism I'd make is that the spear seems out of alignment in the hand and appears to lift upwards at the end when a more natural look may be a slight drop towards the tip.
    As I say very picky I know but that's what jealousy does to one!
    Well done indeed!
  12. John Belcher A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Hello Tony,Great work mate,he looks excellent.I especially like the Moko,it looks very real and definitely Maori tattooing.Great to see him finished.

Regards,John;)
  13. rej Well-Known Member

Malta
    I echo all what the others have said before me Tony!! That face tattoo is bang on!!! Welldone!!!!

Ray ;)
  14. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Excellent painting Tony. The tatoo on his face is exceptionally well done.
  15. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Thanks Carl, Ken, Mitsutaka, Ben, Rob, Jeff, Mark, John, Ray and Guy.:D

I greatly appreciate your generous comments about this figure.:):):)

Ben, I've taken some new photos which are slightly darker and also include the punga fern, which I've added tonight.

Mark, the tip of the spear is slightly elevated. Thanks for spotting that and pointing it out. I'll make a slight adjustment.:eek:

Attached Files:

16. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Wow top job mate on the painting, those tattoos look amazing.

Steve
  17. RFL Active Member

United-States
    Masterful painting Tony, the new pics I expect are much closer to the figure skins tones and I can but add to the outstanding praise of the tattoos.
  18. davidmitchell A Fixture

Scotland
    Excellent painting Tony, great textures and tattoos.

Cheers David
  19. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Thank you Steve, Richard and David,

The new pics certainly reflect the more natural colours of the skin tone and the tatoos.

As I've said previously, this was a very challenging figure to paint and I really wanted to get the tatooing 100% right. Thanks to Callum Talbot (who sculpted this figure) and John Belcher, I managed to get enough research material to ensure the moko pattern was correct. Although next time, I wont scribe the moko pattern into the skin, I'll just paint it onto the surface.

Thanks once again for your positive feedback and your generous comments.
  20. FigureLover A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Ya Tony,
    The new photos are spot on and show the colours to a much higher degree. You can see the wonderful patterns in the coat more, and your definition in the flesh tones. Cool.I also love your Punga!!!
    Ben