1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Maori Chief.Hori Kingi Te Anaua

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by John Belcher, Apr 4, 2009.

1. John Belcher A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Hi Guys,I am sculpting a 250mm bust of a Maori Chief.Hori kingi Te Anaua based on photos taken of him in New Zealand in the 1860s.This bust will have a Moko,(tattoo) covering his face and he will be wearing a Kaitaka(highly prized cloak, with a ornimental boarder).I like the two contrasts in culture in the photos of this era ,the Maori and Victorian.This is my first scupture of a bust and I am really enjoying it.Hope you like him so far.kind regards to all.

John:)

Attached Files:

2. PHIL WALDEN Member

evening John,....
    mate could allways tell when you were enjoying your sculpting, things look alive,.. l will check for square corners when you paint the ornimental boarder, he!he!....

great stuff brother..Phil...
  3. amcairns A Fixture

New_Zealand
    John,
    You,ve really brought the picture to life.Once painted you will get best of show in Wellington Im sure.
    andy
  4. Hardy Guest

Excellent John. Hardy
  5. Major_Goose Well-Known Member

Greece
    wow , thats really a great piece full o f character !!!! Superb !!!!!!

My congratulations

Costas
  6. mil-mart A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    John, Excellent sculpt and a true likeness , can I ask what material you used ?. Thanks for showing.

Cheers Ken
  7. Mike S. Well-Known Member

United-States
    Beautiful portraiture bust!
  8. gforceman Well-Known Member

Belgium
    Excellent

Hi John,

This looks perfect. He's allready alive and there isn't a drop of paint on it!!! I admire your skills a lot!

Cheers,

Gino
  9. alamac Well-Known Member

Australia
    G'Day John
    Magnificent, I'm looking forward to seeing this fellow complete and painted as only you can.
    Cheers
    Alan
  10. Christos Well-Known Member

Greece
    Looks great so far!!!
    christos
  11. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Very good sculpting sofar

Marc
  12. Mike - The Kiwi A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Hi John,

Great to see this one coming to life, destined to be another one of your masterpieces.
    Especially like the nose and detail around the eyes.

Keep it coming, we'll all be here to watch.

Mike

P.S. Is it me or are Kiwi sculptors really starting to stand out here on the Planet? - Andy, Phil and now John. Good on ya guys!
  13. John Belcher A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Hello,Phil,Andy,Hardy,Costas,Ken,Michael,Gino,Alan,Chris,Marc,And Mike.Many thanks for the kind words.I am glad you like him so far.I will post some more pictures in the next few days.ken,you asked what I used to sculpt the bust.it is magic sculpt.It looks a bit of a dirty yellow in the photos.

Kind regards,John:)
  14. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Excellent portrait, John! Lovely sculpting!

All the best,
    Dan
  15. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Awesome sculpting John. I'm very keen to see how you do the te moko and the ceremonial cloak.
  16. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Super work so far John. REALLY looking forward to seeing some paint on this one. Between the moko and the cloak it will be a real treat for the eyes!

Jay H.
    Okc
  17. Barke02 Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Excellent sculpting John!

The eyes are particularly good, and the frown lines on his forehead. You've captured well the 'gravity' on his baggy old eyelids!

Cheers,
    Jon.
  18. rej Well-Known Member

Malta
    Excellent John!! No excellent is not enough....... AMAZING as its looking so ALIVE!!!

Ray ;)
  19. John Belcher A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Hello Dan,Tony,Jay,Jon and Ray.Many thanks guys for the kind words.Glad you like him so far.More pictures soon.

kind regards,John:)
  20. loosehead Active Member

Australia
    John.......Looks AWESOME so far can't wait to see more photos,It nice to see a great maroi bust also look forward to following your painting of him will pose some interesting challanges.........
    Chris