1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP "Maori" Browne

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Richie, May 13, 2013.

1. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi All,
    This is another project I decided to start as I'm in a constructive phase.

This is my version of Commandant George Hamilton-Browne who was an officer with the Natal Native Contingent (N.N.C.) in the Zulu war. Portrayed in the film Zulu Dawn by Nigel Davenport.

This is converted from the 120mm Roll Call figure of Captain Souter. (Thanks Luc for the swap) I cut off the original cap and ground off the jacket detail and flag around the waist. I also cut away the flintlock pistol and replaced this with a colt. I made the hat from a piece of plastic egg box and milliput, the patrol jacket and snake belt was fashioned from lead foil, milliput and wire. The wire used for the braiding was a bit testing due to the memory in the wire but I finally got there
    CIMG5819.JPG CIMG5821.JPG

Somewhat of a colourful character, here is some of the background on Hamilton-Browne.

After a short spell as a driver, R.H.A. (he was apparently bought out), and a few months’ experience in the Papal Zouaves, he found himself in 1866 in New Zealand, in consequence of a duel on the Continent which had ended fatally for his opponent. We had been fighting the Maoris in the North Island since 1861, and as there were about 10,000 New Zealand Militia and Irregulars serving, the decision was taken to withdraw the Regulars during 1866.6 Browne enlisted in Major von Tempsky’s Forest Rangers – we should class them as Commando troops today – who had been three years in the field and were composed of what someone once described as “well seasoned material”. With them Browne learnt all there was to be known about bush-fighting in an appallingly difficult country.
    After the end of the fighting in 1870 Browne went to Australia, and it was probably there when fighting bushrangers that he collected a bad chest wound. He went next to the States, where he served against the Sioux, and after a short visit to his family sailed in 1877, on doctor’s orders, for South Africa. After landing at Cape Town he found himself by chance at East London. Hearing that the 1st/24th (South Wales Borderers) had their headquarters not far off at Kingwilliamstown, he went there and called on the officers, some of whom he knew. The Ninth Kaffir War was in progress, and the battalion commander, Colonel Pulleine (afterwards killed at Isandhlwana), was raising an irregular infantry unit, largely from navvies who had been brought out from England on railway construction, which had been held up by the war. The Colonel asked Browne to take over a company of Pulleine’s Rangers, as the corps was called. This he did, finding the men good enough material in the field but quite impossible in civilisation. There was not much fighting, and at the end of hostilities in 1878 Browne again found himself at a loose end. He next drifted to Durban and on the outbreak of the Anglo Zulu War was offered a commission as major commanding the first battalion of the 3rd Regiment of the Natal Native Contingent under Commandant Lonsdale, formerly in the 74th (2nd Highland Light Infantry).

Three of Browne’s companies N.N.C. had been left at Isandhlwana, including one of the Zulu companies. At about 9 a.m. he was on his way, the men, who had had no food, moving very slowly and unwillingly. At 10 a.m. he captured two Zulus, who told him, perfectly correctly, that the main Zulu army was close to the camp and going to attack it. Browne at once sent an officer (they were all mounted) to Chelmsford with a note. Not long afterwards he came in sight of the camp, and at 11 a.m. he sent another note back to say that part of the Zulu army was in sight near the camp. At midday he could hear the guns at the camp in action, and at 1.30 p.m. he could see the camp and masses of Zulus moving round to the rear of Isandhlwana Hill. In all, he sent four messages, all of which were received by staff officers and eventually reached the G.O.C., who was some distance to the front, but not before 2 p.m. Already at 9.30 a.m. Lord Chelmsford had received a note from Colonel Pulleine, then commanding the camp; but a staff officer, sent to high ground from which he could see it through glasses, had reported all was correct there. After receiving Browne’s messages the G.O.C. rode back and at 2.30 p.m. met him retiring with his men.
    CIMG5825.JPG CIMG5827.JPG CIMG5831.JPG CIMG5847.JPG CIMG5851.JPG CIMG5853.JPG
    cheers
    Richie
    Sokol, Meticulous, Vaux and 13 others like this.
  2. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Very nice work Richie,I like how you convert existing figures into completely new ones,this is looking great,the lacing looks terrific and the fur on the coat,will follow with interest :)
  3. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Brian,
    Thanks for looking mate, I know I'm not as gifted as some of you guys with the putty and brushes but I think my forte is turning out to be spotting and adapting established figures into something else, that being figures I can turn into characters from the Zulu war which is my passion. I must say I am really pleased with my efforts on the braiding even though it took me a few hours to complete.
    Thanks again for the support it is very much appreciated.
    cheers
    Richie
    Don, crf, ChaosCossack and 1 other person like this.
  4. Ferris A Fixture

Great work on the braiding indeed Richie! It's all looking nicely so far.

Cheers,
    Adrian
  5. Nap Moderator

England
    Richie ,

Excellent conversion , love the work you have done , braiding especially and again a good figure to convert .

Thanks for sharing

Nap
  6. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Looks fabulous Richie!
    You've a really good eye for seeing a potential conversion in an existing figure... a skill unto itself. Some really well done detail work and your background research is very in depth and gives some context to the figure and the conversion.
    Look forward to seeing some colour on this piece.

Colin
  7. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Adrian, Nap & Colin,
    Thanks for the support and encouragement lads it's really appreciated. I just hope I can replicate the full braiding aswell on my Commissary Dalton figure. Anyone got any tips for painting a sheepskin coat!:unsure:
    cheers
    Richie
  8. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    I think the braiding is superb,I just wish I could sculpt like that,and your conversions are so good,it seems this is an area of modeling you seem to be excelling in,I've seen some of your other conversions and they're good as well,:)
  9. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Brian,
    Thanks for that(y) mate. Have you got tips in how to tackle the sheepskin, something I have never tackled before? What colours would you use and any tips on how to weather it.
    cheers
    Richie
  10. Mike - The Kiwi A Fixture

New_Zealand

Hi Richie neat project mate & your backgrounder has taught me a bit about our history.
    Do like your Forest Rangers comparison to Commandos too!

Than is for sharing & nice original project

Mike
  11. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Great conversion.

marc
  12. Dennis Active Member

England
    This is a great begining Richie, it will go great with the models you showed at the last club meeting mate. Thanks also for the very good explanation of techniques used and the history of this great Victorian character. Look forward to seeing this completed and gracing our club stand.
    Cheers mate.
    Dennis
  13. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    One of your best to date in my opinion mate, very clean work on the converting and very good subject.

Steve
  14. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Looking excellent Richie.
    I'd go for a light buff type acrylic, then hit it with a brown oil.
    Take it nearly all off with a large soft brush, leaving it in the recesses.
    Carl.:woot:
  15. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Mike - Thanks for looking in mate, it's these little things you pickup that can lead you astray to look at other Victorian conflicts. Would be nice to see a Forest Ranger figure in close combat with a Maori warrior. You guys have done a great job in educating and raising the profile on the Maori's and some of the conflicts.(y)

Hi Marc - Thanks for the comment mate.:)

Hi Dennis - Mate, I am going to aim high and say he will be ready for the S & L.:D

Hi Steve - Mate, see your influence is definitely rubbing off on me, I'm actually starting to think of where to put the putty & superglue rather than just throwing it on and hoping for the best.;)

Hi Carl - Thanks for looking in mate. Thanks very much for the colours and technique, I will certainly give that a go.(y)

Will post again when I have made some significant progress with the painting.
    Thank you all again for the support, encouragement and advice.
    cheers
    Richie
  16. Helm A Fixture

England
    Top job mate,watching both your latest jobs with interest

Steve
  17. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    I am a bit late getting to this fine piece Richie.
    Your conversion here is great mate. I am really inspired by the detailed work on the patrol jacket, a first class job my friend.
    I know that you will not be painting this in the near future but I am waiting with baited breath to see your brushwork.
    Good work Richie I really like this one.
    All the best,
    Keith
  18. DEL A Fixture

Scotland
    Very nice indeed Ritchie looks like you've tapped into a rich seam.
    I remember a Glasgow modeller who used the Tamiya Mechanics set to produce a whole range of historical pieces.
    This is the sort of work that adds so much to the hobby.
    Cheers
    Derek
    Wings5797 likes this.
  19. Mark S Guest

Well done Richie, another great looking figure!
    Love the piping you do.
  20. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Absolutely gorgeous mate. Don't know how I missed this one. Look forward to seeing the brushwork started. Keep it coming.

Cheers

Ron