1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Man's Best Friend

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Dan Morton, Sep 21, 2008.

1. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    This little vignette is based on Stanley Wood's illustration, Man's Best Friend, which appeared in the British newspaper, The War Illustrated, on 2 June 1917. The dog is a Jack Russell terrier and the soldier is a Royal East Kent regiment (Buffs) private writing home to loved ones far away. This will be cast as the fourth of The Old Contemptibles kits. The kit will have everything you see in the photos except for the rifle sling and maybe one or two belts. It will be cast by my good friend, John McNenney and painted by Tony Dawe, a good friend from Australia, a fine, accomplished painter and recently very successful (!!) sculptor.

Hope you like it!

All the best,
    Dan

Attached Files:

2. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Dan,

It looks marvelous mate. I can't wait to get my paint brushes onto it for you. The changes you've made really make a huge improvement to the scene. Well done.
  3. vergilius New Member

Belgium
    Excellent idea !!
  4. denducky Member

Belgium
    hello Dan
    very expressive, just like the rest of your vignets
    just look and enjoy

gr duck
  5. DEL A Fixture

Scotland
    I can't rven begin to tell you how much I like this. Where can I find a link to the other Old Contemptible kits.
    This just might get me away from Romans and Templars.
    Derek
  6. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Vergilius, Ducky and Derek [Sounds like a musical trio...] - Many, many thanks!

Derek - Thanks for asking! Actually I'm still writing the draft instructions and will only be mailing the vignette to John McNenney for casting this week. Give John a couple of weeks to cast this one and it'll be up on the Military Miniatures Warehouse web site, in The Old Contemptibles section. http://www.milminwh.com/theoldcontemptibles.htm

All the best,
    Dan
  7. darkeye Member

United-Kingdom
    evocative lil dio' Dan and in a scale i like. well done mate!

regards ---- tim :)
  8. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Many thanks, Tim! :)

All the best,
    Dan
  9. yeo_64 Active Member

Singapore
    Your Best So Far, Dan !!!!!

Dan, my friend :) !
    I LOVE IT :D:D:D:D:D:D:D !!!!! You've captured the scene PERFECTLY !!!!! Plus you got a really CUTE dog in it too ;) ! My compliments, my friend. Looking forward to the painted version soon. Cheers !
    Kenneth :p.
  10. Christos Well-Known Member

Greece
    Looks very nice Dan,beautiful subject!
    christos
  11. Ulrich PlanetFigure Supporter

Germany
    Hi Dan

really nice scene and I think John had many things to do during the next weeks. I love exspecially the "little" dog

Ulrich
  12. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Many thanks Kenneth, Christos and Ulrich! Yes, John McNenney will be busy with both the Landsturm and this one. :)

All the best,
    Dan
  13. Marcel Active Member

Spain
    Great work Dan, I waiting to see the painted version!
  14. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks Marcel!!

All the best,
    Dan
  15. Mark S Guest

Beautiful work, Dan.
    Very nice piece!
  16. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Many thanks Mark! Glad you liked it!

All the best,
    Dan
  17. blaster Active Member

United-States
    Hi Dan,

A very compact diorama and truly great storytelling. I can see similarities between yours and Kenneth's scene. It is a great theme worth repeating and you both do it so well.

Rgds Victor
  18. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Many thanks Victor! I really like Kenneth's vignette also. We didn't collaborate or anything like that. Great minds (think?) alike? :)

All the best,
    Dan