1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Manfred Von Richthofen (seated On Fuselage) 1/32 - Model Cellar

Discussion in 'Figure News' started by ModelCellar, Jan 24, 2013.

1. ModelCellar A Fixture

Happy New Year to everyone!

The Model Cellar would like to announce it's first release of 2013: 1/32 Manfred von Richthofen seated on top of the Fokker Dr.I fuselage.

sculpted by: Mike Good
    Box Art by: Tim Farrell
    material: resin
    scale: 1/32
    Price: $22.50 USD

Manny Seated 5 (3).jpg

Hope you like it!
    regards,
    Paul
    www.ModelCellar.com
  2. Gary D PlanetFigure Supporter

Canada
    Very nice! He'd look awesome on a Wingnut Wings kit. :D

Gary
  3. ometz Well-Known Member

United-States
    I agree with Gary--what a perfect figure for the Wingnut kits! Let's hope this indicates more figures of other nationalities in same scale to go with WWI aircraft.
  4. Mirofsoft A Fixture

Belgium
    Like the idea
    Nice piece
    Best
  5. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Great work. Comes the fuselage with the figure??

Marc
  6. Figure Mad Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Great little figure, I hope the head is separate as usual, too many ideas are now flowing with this one......

Dave
  7. Captain Lol A Fixture

Belgium
    Very nice . Great figure .
  8. Silversurfer Active Member

Germany
    Great figure! Very Good Mike;)!!

Cheers Thomas
  9. ModelCellar A Fixture

Thanks for the positive response guys, I'm glad you like him.

Marc..., no the fuselage does not come with it. The section of fuselage in the pic is the Roden 1/32 Fokker Dr.I. Mike, put together a 'skeleton' (fuselage w/landing gear, tail skid) to get the correct angles/posture for the right balance.

Dave..., yes, the head is separate.

Paul
  10. gorgosaurus Active Member

Denmark
    These Model Cellar WWI pilots by Mike Good are so good that I´m considering buying a couple - this one at the top of the list and I don´t even model WWI aircraft!
    Spike.
  11. Zastrow.cuirassier PlanetFigure Supporter

France
    Like allways a great figure from Mike GOOD.
    A figure to paint and a Plane to built.
    If you do not want the classic Fokker (F1 or Dr) in Red, and a real high quality plastic kit for your figure try a wingnut wing model /
    The brand is wonderful, perhaps one of the best in the world.
    These brand owner is Peter Jackson, the director of "Lord of the ring"
    You can order directly from the website, free postage, Paypal accepted.
    http://www.wingnutwings.com/ww/
    You could choose a Fokker DV (also used by Eduard Ritter Von Schleich-a Model Callar figure)
    http://www.wingnutwings.com/ww/productdetail?productid=27&cat=3
    [IMG][IMG]
    For a complete list of the planes used by Manfred Von Richthofen :
    http://www.theaerodrome.com/aces/germany/richthofen2.php
    Look also in the wingnut website the WWI painted figures ranges.
    http://www.wingnutwings.com/ww/paintedtoysoldiers
    In conclusion, if you need a kit easy to built, with accuracy, try WINGNUT WINGS !
  12. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    Very well sculpted figure of some pilot - but You call it especially "Manfred von Richthofen".
    So I would ask You to show us Your source concerning his leather overall.

As far as I know the german flying troops NEVER used something like that in the 1WK.

The only winter overalls of the German pilots were of soft, fluffy fabric and not leather!

They also had a gray-green color and were not brown.

Here is an original photo of Manfred (left) and Lothar von Richthofen. Lothar carries such an coverall, as described here ...:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/redrichthofen/5386125043/in/set-72157627584307501

And as far as I know further, Manfred preferred a long fur coat and fur trousers like in the photo above. There are - except these - multiple images, which show him with it!

[IMG]

[IMG]

Cheers
  13. Zastrow.cuirassier PlanetFigure Supporter

France
  14. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    Yes, quite sure. On the two pics I can - clearly - see Lothar von Richthofen carrying the non-leather overall I decribed above. Both pics were taken - watch the background! - the same day, the same place, the same moment.

And now I am waiting for a source of Manfred von Richthofen wearing a leather-overall...;)

Cheers
  15. Figure Mad Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi Guys

the overall is made of a heavy cotton material not leather, I have had this bit of research from Mike Good, from the last pilot figure, the re is a scene in the Red Baron where the a couple of pilots are wearing the overall, they were not just one colour, they were produced in varying shades.

Dave

This is an earlier pilot that I have painted

[IMG]
    Edward and Zastrow.cuirassier like this.
  16. Zastrow.cuirassier PlanetFigure Supporter

France
    Hi Martin,
    The problem is always the same, let us be we sure of what we say concerning the old uniforms.
    A period when the photo was a luxury when it existed.
    Always the same quarrel (but not violent) on the past.
    Little as for certain colors of uniform Napoléonniens, some fight for 30 or 40 years as regards the Amaranth so loved by MURAT.
    Anyway, the figurine is very beautiful, and even if it is not Manfred Von Richtofen (name commercially seller), which importance !
    It will emphasize magnificently a model aircraft of 14/18.
  17. Zastrow.cuirassier PlanetFigure Supporter

France
    Hi dave, wich is the brand name of this figure.
    You really make a little jewel.
    (y)
  18. bonehead A Fixture

United-States
    Ah Martin, you are such a bright ray of sunshine! :wtf:

As everybody here knows, i never do any research on my subjects and, because of my limited knowledge of WWI aviation, I am completely out of my element here. Your comments here would be "helpful" if they were not wrong on almost every count. First and foremost, the flight overall in question is not, nor was it ever intended to be, "leather". Okay, the slight sheen of the paint might give that impression, but it was unintentional and Tim (who did the painting) knew that the overall is supposed to be made of cloth. So, there is no "source" for the leather overall since that is not what is shown. Sorry.

Manfred is depicted in a standard German flyers overall. Having done as much research as i am able to from here, I have been completely unable to find any evidence that these overalls were ever issued in "grey-green color". I am not saying they weren't. In fact I painted one in "field gray" many years ago. But the only photos i have ever been able to find that show this overall (they seem to be quite rare) has shown them in brown fabric. Here is the one photo i found on google this morning. As you can see, it is actually a light tan color:

http://yellowairplane.com/Models_World_War_1/D_German_WW1_Airplanes.html

As for your assertion that "Manfred preferred a long fur coat and fur trousers..", there certainly are several photos that show him in furs and, as is also known, he was wearing fur boots when he was shot down and these boots are still on display in a museum in Australia. However, reports about his death all state that he was wearing an "overall" when he was killed. Photos of Richthofen in furs are only a small minority of photos showing him in flight clothing. In fact, the most common flight garment worn by Richthofen in photos is the rather supple leather coat i have depicted him in many times. He can be seen wearing this very coat (with heavy insulated trousers) in this cool video:

And here he is (as i sculpted him earlier in 1/32nd scale) wearing this very coat:

http://www.michtoy.com/item-MDC-32004-Manfred_von_Richthofen_with_Moritz.html

I suspect the coat dates back to his early days as an observer (before he learned to fly) as it was fairly common to issue these types of coats early in the war. They do not seem to be as common later in the war.

And finally, this photo of Manfred at Cappy purports to be one of the last photos of him. He is standing off to the right and is show wearing - wait for it - a flyer's overall! Perhaps it is the one he was wearing when he died. At any rate, this is not the "only" photo of him in overalls, it was just the only one my googgle search turned up this morning:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WW1-Last-Flight-Photo-Red-Baron-Manfred-von-Richthofen-Cappy-April-1918-WWI-/251189298128?pt=UK_Collectables_Militaria_LE&hash=item3a7c0c83d0&nma=true&si=XAVViqRFPJW18lAQx1JhbvKT2WE%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Anyway, there are some sources for you, limited as they are. I hope this put your assertions in their proper light.....

By the way, one of the reasons i have always made the heads separate on the Model Cellar figures is so that the heads can be interchanged between different figures in the line. If you replace the head with another one from the line, this figure could just as easily depict a "generic" pilot. Dave Maddox's figure above would be an ideal donor - and you could then use the Richthofen head for a standing Manny with overall - or you could use the head on another figure (such as the Richthofen one I linked above)......

Cheers!! ;):D

Mike
    Martin64 and Zastrow.cuirassier like this.
  19. Figure Mad Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Thanks Mike, some great research there.

Zastrow - the figure is a Modelcellar figure of a WW1 German Bomber crew, again by Mike, the head is from another one of the range of figures

Dave
  20. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    Thanks Mike, for Your very factual response. :whistle:

The video ist - pity - not available in Germany by reasons of law.
    I stay with my opinion.

BTW: Please have a look at the collar and the shoulder part of Your source...:

[IMG]

I want to make bad the Your figure - but for me it is not completely historically correct.

Cheers