1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Malta's galley

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by franceso sbarile, May 28, 2018.

1. blaster A Fixture

United-States
    Hi Francesco,

A very nice and entertaining project. I wish you success with it. I had the opportunity to visit the Arsenale at Venice. These are a few tourist pics for your reference.

Rgds Victor

Attached Files:

• aq.jpg
      aq.jpg
      File size:
      60.8 KB
      Views:
    • aq2.jpg
      aq2.jpg
      File size:
      111.8 KB
      Views:
    • aq4.jpg
      aq4.jpg
      File size:
      88.5 KB
      Views:
  2. franceso sbarile A Fixture

Thanks Victor, the first one is a model of "Bucintoro" , a cerimonial galley of Venice's Doge used for the yearly "Sposalizio del mare" (wedding (of Venice) with the sea) that symbolized the maritime domain of Venice. The second one looks to be a xebec more than a galley but it is very intersting also since most of arrangements are very similar. The third one is the so called "Scaleo Reale" built around the middle of XIXth century for the king of Italy Vittorio Emanuele II and used in the celebrations for the annexation of the Veneto to Italy . I was no able to identify the other subject of the third picture... :joyful: The arsenal museum is very intersting and whorty of a visit if you are in Venice, I was there once.
    A similar boat is now at Turin at Venaria Reale museum. This is the picture
    peota La stampa 20 9 2014.jpg

Cheers
    Francesco
    Landrotten Highlander, Huw63 and Oda like this.
  3. Oda A Fixture

Very knowledgeable on such a tremendously interesting subject!!!

Oda.
    franceso sbarile likes this.
  4. franceso sbarile A Fixture

I know that I do not know
    Francesco
    Oda likes this.
  5. Huw63 A Fixture

Great stuff.

Cheers

Huw
    franceso sbarile likes this.
  6. frog Active Member

England
    Looking forward to seeing this completed excellent
    franceso sbarile and Oda like this.
  7. franceso sbarile A Fixture

Hi Guys , first of all thank so much to everybody. Just some pictures about how the figure proceed and a couple of words about Malta's flags.
    uno.jpg tre.jpg quattro.jpg

About the flag I used as a reference this picture of the grand master's galley ad the middle of XVIII century
    16067746848_c4e4de98c0_k.jpg

as you can see there are so many tipes of flags, standards, guidons and so on...
    basically we can divide the flags into 3 main category, the Order's flag white cross on red field, the grand master's flag with the order's flag quartered with the grand master's own herardry and several flags with religious figures.
    Very intersting is the st. John standard at the far stern of the ship.
    Still to decide what kind of flag I 'll try to do.
    For people who also enjoy naval history I post the image of several stamps from Malta showing how the galleys fleet comunicated each other. Unlucky they are commented in italian but if somebody appreciate I can make an attempt to traslate in english.
    Cheers
    Francesco

Attached Files:

8. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    In English it is called a bulwark. ;):)