1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

making molds for casting

Discussion in 'General Figure Talk' started by Joe Hudson, Jan 18, 2006.

1. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hey guys,

While surfing another site I found this really good link to making molds. It is a little different approach and looks pretty good. Check it out when you have the chance. http://www.jamesrogersstudio.com/molds.html

Joe
  2. John Long Active Member

United-States
    That's an excellent link Joe. I would like to see what some of our resin casters say about this method. Mike, John, Chris, Vince...?
  3. btavis Active Member

United-States
    Yeah, that is a good link. Thanks, Joe.
  4. IronMike A Fixture

To each his own.
  5. Darla New Member

I'll second that Mike!
  6. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    I know very little about casting and would think a cup would make a decent ready made "box" for a mold. Given that two of the people who posted do this for a living, it does not seem to be that great of a way to go based on their reactions.~Gary
  7. btavis Active Member

United-States
    I think that because the original was in wax, doing a two part mold would have compromised the original. I would have thought that doing lost wax would have been better suited though.

Also, one part molds are used by a lot of garage kit guys.
  8. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Hey Joe, thanks for posting.

Cheers
    Roc. :)
  9. Nick Majerus Well-Known Member

United-States
    I used cups for small items when I first tried casting. I now use only boxes that I make to the size of the piece that I'm going to cast. I haven't used a two-piece mold in any of the kits I produce.

The Old Guard
    RS4 :)