1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Making Decals for Scrolls

Discussion in 'General Figure Talk' started by whoppermd, Aug 27, 2019.

1. whoppermd New Member

I've had no problems making decals with simplistic images such as a skull on a shield, flag, etc.

I'd like to make a decal that could emulate the print on a scroll.

.e.g
    [IMG]
    When getting pics to shrink the size of a book or scroll on a 25 to 28 mm miniature on Microsoft paint the image is too shrunken to be of any aesthetic use. I'm not expecting the image to be readable, heck even the pic above the small font is hardly legible, but I would like it to print out and not look like smudge and at least look like it's writing.

Anyone have any experience with this?

My current theory is that perhaps I just got to use a better program that Microsoft paint. Also print on the highest end DPI printer.

Thanks
  2. Helm A Fixture

England
    Might be easier to just give the appearance of words using paint/ink
    Steve
    Mirofsoft likes this.
  3. blaster A Fixture

United-States
    Would a series of //;;/;;.. ////..., help? these are just simple shapes of lines and dots and may withstand the shrinkage. The slant is to simulate cursive handwriting.
    harrytheheid likes this.
  4. Ray Stout Well-Known Member

What I have done in the past, is to find an illustration, (Black and white) in a book that is of a similar size you need, photocoy it, and then cut it out of the copy. To give it some age, I then stain it in tea or coffee, (NO milk). Then curl or straighten to order. Ray. p.s. Osprey Books are a good source.
    blaster and theBaron like this.
  5. Ray Stout Well-Known Member

This is an example of a Map I made using this method scan0279 (2).jpg
    harrytheheid, blaster and theBaron like this.
  6. theBaron A Fixture

United-States
    OLD SCHOOL!!!! I love it!

For documents, I just paint lines to suggest text. For maps, I've tried to represent period pieces by hand as well. But I'm working in 54mm. I can see that if you're working in a large scale or size, it might be necessary to depict legible text.

Prost!
    Brad
  7. Ray Stout Well-Known Member

Yes Brad, it is Old School, I did these Tradition figures in 1982, and was STILL learning, but the map worked a treat! shame the figs were'nt up to the same standard. Ray
    theBaron likes this.
  8. blaster A Fixture

United-States
    Damned good looking figures (and map)!!!
  9. Mirofsoft A Fixture

Belgium
    blaster likes this.
  10. whoppermd New Member

I figured out a solution to make decals.

The problem was I was using Microsoft Paint, a perfectly fine program for most simple art but it has a DPI of 96 that is not modifiable. That's the problem. If you want the scroll to still look like it was a scroll you're going to have to use a much higher DPI. So you're going to have to use a better art program than this. I tried a new program that was completely free called Irfanview. You can download on CNET which is a trusted spam-free site. I was able to readjust the DPI on that to 1000 and the thing didn't turn into a smudge retaining most of the detail even at a tremendously shrunken size.

what I was thinking of doing was getting pics of pages from actual historical documents such as an real spellbook or say the Declaration of Independence and you could then make a miniature decal of it instead of having to handpaint something that would have something on the order of a 1000 pt font.
    harrytheheid and Mirofsoft like this.
  11. Ray Stout Well-Known Member

Sorry whoppermd, a perfect case of over complicating a relatively simple task, just find an illustration you want, photocopy it, then photo-reduce it if needed and stain. end of story. Aperfect example of the Generation Gap!! Ray