WIP Making barbed wire - SBS for German POW

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Ferris, Sep 8, 2011.

1. Ferris A Fixture

Hi All,

Still working on my German POW and thought I'd take some pictures while making the barbed wire. No great pics, but I hope they are still helpful for anyone wanting to make their own barbed wire.

Here goes...

Step 1: Select thin and thinner wire depending on scale. For 1:35 I use 0.2 mm for the main wire and (about) 0.05 mm for the 'barbs'.

Step 2: Select two lenths of main wire (~15-20 cm)

Step 3: Clamp the pair of wires in a vice on one side and in a drill on the other. Use the slowest speed on the drill to twist the wires together.

(Continued in next post)

Attached Files:

2. Ferris A Fixture

Step 4: Result after twisting. Make sure the 'twist frequency' stays the same when making more stretches of wire.

Step 5: Clamp the main wire and select plenty of lengths of the thinner wire (each ~7cm)

Step 6: Take 2 lengths of the thinner wire and wind this pair round the main wire twice. Pull tight to fix. Repeat this (over and over and over....).

(Continued in next post)
  3. Ferris A Fixture

Pictures....

Attached Files:

• sbs4.jpg
      sbs4.jpg
      File size:
      172.7 KB
      Views:
    • sbs5.jpg
      sbs5.jpg
      File size:
      200.2 KB
      Views:
    • sbs6.jpg
      sbs6.jpg
      File size:
      197.1 KB
      Views:
  4. Ferris A Fixture

Step 7: This is what it looks like after about 30 minutes of twisting the thinner wire.

Step 8: Cut off the excess wire and arrange the wire until it looks right. Paint to prime and fix everything.

Step 9: This is what I ended up with!

(Now the other 6 stretches....:rolleyes:)

Cheers,
    Adrian

Attached Files:

Trep, GARRY, Jamie Stokes and 6 others like this.
  5. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    Adrian,
    Looks good.
    Thanks for the SBS
    Cheers
    John
  6. mikec55 Active Member

United-States
    Adrian-

Thanks! I'll have to try this with a couple of WW1 figures on the workbench.

Mike
  7. Einion Well-Known Member

Looks good Adrian. But there's a useful little tip that makes doing the barbs a little easier. I'm trying to find a previous thread now that mentions it but can't seem to locate it ATM, I'll post the link later if I locate it.

Einion
  8. Einion Well-Known Member

9. Ferris A Fixture

Thanks Einion for the link. The pictures there are a lot better than mine, that's for sure.

Nice little tip: doing the barbs with one continuous wire. I would do it with two parallel ones though, because it gives you four 'stings' per barb, just like the real thing, if you know what I mean. Gonna try that with my next stretch to be done this weekend.

Cheers,
    Adrian
  10. Edorta A Fixture

Spain