1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Makin' Buttons

Discussion in 'Friends of planetFigure' started by Jason W., Dec 26, 2009.

1. Jason W. Active Member

United-States
    I think I got this idea from Joe Hudson. It's crude, it destroyed a drill bit, but it's a huge time saver. Considering the amount of buttons on each figure, it helps to have a time saving device as this. I basically taped a couple pieces of plastic card to a block of wood. With a hammer, I make a few taps on the drill bit into the lead foil. The two sheets acts a cushion when tapping out the buttons and prevents them from being driven into the block of wood. This is all trial and error. Out of three punched, I'll get one decent button.

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG][IMG]

More...
    Steve and gordy like this.
  2. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Thats the same method I've been using for a few years now. It is an excellent quick way to make buttons. Try it without using a hammer or a 'beating' tool, just press the drill bit into the lead foil, might have to roll it a bit but will work just as good and saves on drill bits!
  3. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Looks good Jason.
    But what size's of drill bit are used??

marc
  4. kansas kid Well-Known Member

United-States
    Thanks Jason, for the button button whose got the button

Jason:

Thanks for taking time to give us novices a good tip with explanatory photos
    on how to make buttons. I know Steve Readdie told me this is the way he
    makes buttons, but I didn't know about putting the sheet styrene over the
    top of the wood block, to act as a buffer, or softer base. I graduated with
    honors in Dummy High School, so things kinda' have to be spelled out by
    the number for this old codger Jayhawk. :confused::confused::confused:

For example, Silly me. . . I thought your home city, Bath, was in England????

A lot of good tips don't have to be real elaborate to be useful, fer sure,

Jaybird