1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Major Robert Rogers, 1760

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by garyjd, Mar 3, 2005.

1. fsdesimone Member

No, he's not being too kind, he's 100% right. What a good way to make feathers. Very clever.

Francesca
  2. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Jason, Thanks.

Andy, I used the same method to make a flag once and it worked out really well.

Francesca, Thank you just the same.~Gary
  3. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Looks terrific Gary...........thanks for the sbs on the feather.
  4. Evan August New Member

Another great piece in progress Gary. Always a pleasure to see your stuff.
  5. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Guy, Thanks.

Evan, Thank you.~Gary
  6. phc35 Well-Known Member

United-States
    Great work as always Gary.Also Thanks for the posting on F & I exhibit at the
    Heinze (sp?) in Pittsburg.My sister-in-law lives in Pittsburgh,so it's a good excuse to
    visit.Give my best to the guys

Jay :)
  7. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Jaybird, Thanks a lot. Good to hear from you. The exhibit is a must see. Gerry Embleton's time machine is going to have some lifesize figures as part of the display. Be sure to take your camera.~Gary
  8. y_wong New Member

Dear Gary,

As always, an amazing SBS on your figure. Thanks for your effort in showing the mocassins. I enjoy the way that you go about sculpting the feather.

I always enjoy following your SBS thread. There is so much to learn and the pose looks very natural.

Keep up the wonderful work and looking forward to your next pic posting.

regards :)
  9. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Wong, Thank you very much. The project has slowed down a bit but I hope to pick up speed again soon. I have an idea for a vignette with a pair of Woodland indians that may be one of my projects later this year.~Gary
  10. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Here is the completed cockade with a pewter button. The ostrich feather is held in place with blu tac. I also have most of the hair completed. Sorry the pics are not the best.

Attached Files:

11. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Another view showing the feather.

Attached Files:

12. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Cutlass with wooden grip and iron or brass guard. This illustration was taken from Osprey's American Colonial Ranger: The Northern Colonies 1724-64, Warrior 85

Attached Files:

13. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Gary, looks fantastic, I love the way you sculpted the head, you are an excellent scuptor.

Cheers

Roc. :)
  14. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Here is the cutlass so far. I have a little refining, but roughing in is almost complete.

Attached Files:

15. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Roc, Thank you very much. I can only wish I sculpted the head. It a resin Hornet head, which is why the figure is in 1/35.~Gary
  16. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    The waistbelt buck is in place as is the narrower belt for the waistbox. I'm now working on the carriage for the cutlass. Once this is complete work can then begin on his coat.

Attached Files:

17. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    I epoxied the right arm to the figure and built up his sleeve. The cuff, shirt cuff and gloved hand will be built next. The basic shape to the upper part of the coat is almost complete.

Attached Files:

18. Jason W. Active Member

United-States
    Looking great, Gary!

Man, I like that head...have to get that set.

Following closely,

Jason
  19. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Jason, Thanks. The Mohawk bust was holding me up so I have not been getting much done on the Rogers figure. I'm probably going to get another set as well. The head sets with the necks are reallly nice, especially the ones turning.~Gary
  20. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Some work has been done on the upper half of Roger's coat. The bottom half or skirt of the coat will be done next.

The cartridge box is attached with blu tac and the cutlass can actually be removed from the frog.

Attached Files: