Major Robert Rogers, 1760

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by garyjd, Mar 3, 2005.

1. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    I will try and reconstruct as best as possible the sbs that I had started on the new site.

Subject and references This one off figure is of Major Robert Rogers as he would have appeared when he accepted the surrender of the French fort at Detroit in 1760. The figure will be based on a full figure portrait of Rogers by historical artist Gary Zaboly (one of my favorite artists) and his latest research on the uniforms and equipment of American colonial rangers during this period. The following two books will be used as the primary references for this project.

The annotated and illustrated journals of Robert Rogers,
    Annotated by Timothy Todish and illustrated by Gary Zaboly
    Purple Mountain Press ISBN 1-930098-20-0

American Colonial Ranger: The Northern Colonies 1724-64 (Warrior #85)
    By Gary Zaboly
    Osprey Publishing ISBN 1-84176-649-6

Attached Files:

2. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Armature While a lengthy discussion can be made on the subject, I will only be dealing with the pose for this figure.

Start off by measuring out for the figure marking out three areas.

1. The hip sockets

2. The knees

3. The bottom of the feet

I normally leave about 3/8" to go into the working base to hold the figure in place.

Attached Files:

3. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Once this is finished the brass rod for the legs are bent into the desired position and inserted into the working base. I then took a little sculpey and blocked out the shape of the torso to get a better idea of the pose I'm looking for. Though it does not look pretty It helps me in establishing proper proportions and areas that might prove to be a problem.

Attached Files:

4. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    This picture shows the angle of Roger's shoulders and hips that need to be reproduced in order to give the figure a relaxed and realistic look.

Sorry, the first word on the picture should read note not not.

Attached Files:

5. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Problems problems problems So your able to see all that goes on when sculpting a figure I've decided to include the obstacles that get in the way at times.

These are the first pair of legs I did for this figure. I was finally satisfied with the fourth pair. The next photo will show the fourth with the torso roughed in and a Hornet head pinned in place.

Though they look okay, they are not for this pose. The space between the feet is not as wide as in this picture.

Attached Files:

6. RobH Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Very insightful Gary...............and most comprehensive.

The subject too is fascinating, and I too love the artwork. Are there many illustrations in the Journals book? I have some rather good articles way back in Military Illustrated, with some Gerry Embleton illustrations - have you seen these?

looking forward to further progress

Rob
  7. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Gary, thanks for taking the time to repost your SBT , It's much appreciated.(y)

Keep up the great sculpting.

Cheers

Roc. :)
  8. y_wong New Member

Dear Gary,

Appreciate what you are doing. Keep it up. You are truely a great fellow, not to mentioned a great figure modeler.

regards :)
  9. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Rob, Thank you. The journal has 22 pen and ink scenes drawn by Gary Zaboly along with a color cover, with the portrait of Rogers on the back. The pen and ink scenes are great as the artist also includes text describing the scene. I feel this 343 page book is well worth the $29.00 (US) pricetag. While I've seen a lot of articles with Embleton illustrations I may not be familiar with those.

Roc, Thank and no problem, I enjoy doing it.

Wong, Thank you very much.~Gary

Attached Files:

10. RobH Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Gary

I've seen this book! Tempted when I bought my copy of Griffing, but stayed away.

I'll scan a sample page of the MI article and email it to you, if you like, to see if it may be of use.

Rob
  11. Patrick Kirk New Member

Gary,
    You freaking amaze me; this is awesome! Will you be doing this as a one off or will this be a commercial casting...
    Need more pics!

Great subject and I know its a favorite period of yours...

All the best
  12. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Rob, Thanks, I'd love to see it.

Patrick, Thanks my friend. It's a one off although I would consider doing him in 75mm. Art Girona just came out with a ranger officer that's based on a uniform plate in an Osprey book on American Colonial troops. It's nice, but the legs look a bit chunky to me.~Gary
  13. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    New legs The spacing between the feet on the first three sets of legs I sculpted was either too great, or the relaxed look the legs had in the painting was not there or both. I decided to do the legs separate and then add in the crotch area and build the torso on top of this.

Attached Files:

14. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Torso and head Once the legs were resolved I made a block of putty to represent the ribcage. This was then drilled out and pinned into the pelvic area. After this was glued in place now came the job of filling in between and around it to give me the prober shape. It's important to keep the torso shape on the thin side as the clothing will go over top and it's easier to bulk the figure up too much. After work on this was complete I drilled out a hole for placement of the head. I'm using a Hornet head that is fairly close to that in the painting and hopefully will look even more like it after the addition of the hair and cap.

Attached Files:

15. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Rear view of the figure. A lot of the coat detail will be seen on this as there is minimal equipment worn by Rogers in the painting. Note the slight angle of the shoulds and hips, this is a very important part of the pose.

Attached Files:

16. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Right side view I'm keeping the legs thin as they would only be covered with Breeches with stockings and leggings over top.

Attached Files:

17. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Left side view The only piece of equipment worn on the left side would be the sword belt and scabbard with a hanger (sword). This will go underneat the coat.

Attached Files:

18. John Long Active Member

United-States
    Looking good Gary. Good call on the change. The newest version looks better. This is similar what I just went through on the Rough Rider.
  19. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    John, Thanks. It is much better than the other three. This pose was really giving me a hard time. Getting the pose and armature right is the key. If it's off no amount of sculpting can save. Observation plays a huge part in this.~Gary
  20. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Moccasins I decidided to start with the moccassins first and then the breeches followed by the leggings. The drawing shows a pair similiar to those worn in the painting. I will add a thin strip down the center of the moccasins that will represent porcupine quillwork. The standing inner most flap will be one of the last pieces done on the figure seeing that it is so thin.

Attached Files: