1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Major König

Discussion in 'Sculpting' started by Renéduret, Sep 29, 2010.

1. Renéduret Well-Known Member

Netherlands
    attached to a planket, doing some thinking about the best position so there will be less air inclusion and objects can be released without too much trouble.

taking a picture of the mall is always good.
    This way you will not forget where the objects are situated, I often make fine cuts in my mall with the scalpel to make pooring the resin better but also for the release.

[IMG]

My favourite way of making malls: Lego.
    It's easy to break down a wall of lego when the silicon has hardened ( appr. 24 hours)

[IMG]

The rubber I use the amount of hardener must be weighed so you could make also a small one if you like.
    The problem is I get a bit afraid my proportions are incorrect and my rubber would not harden.
    By using the whole bucket and pooring in the flacon totally I am sure the measurements are fine and I just need to stir well. Never scrape the last bit from the bucket, this is the last bit that is not mixed well and the rubber will stay sticky.

So, most of the time when I start making a mall, I always have another one in reach.
    Economicly, but when taking a close look at the mall one can see I 'spoiled' a lot of rubber because the torso really stands out to the rest.
    This is my choice, I want all the parts of this buste in one piece.

to be continued :)
  2. pinsel Active Member

Germany
    clever idea with the lego
  3. Renéduret Well-Known Member

Netherlands
    The idea is well known.

I remember my first mall, prepared in a little plastic drawer.
    I had to tear down the drawer by force.
  4. Renéduret Well-Known Member

Netherlands
    12 hours can also do fine...

patience sometimes is not one of my virtues.

[IMG][IMG]

releasing objects by sharp cuts
    be extremely carefull there,..the rubber is flexible and when you keep some parts under tension by making this cuts you don't want the rubber to jump back on you, especially with a scalpel in your hand.

the first cast:

[IMG]

and after the release:

[IMG][IMG]

[IMG][IMG]

[IMG][IMG]

[IMG][IMG]

[IMG][IMG]

as you can notice there are some air inclusions. I have to admit, in this case they are not so bad.
    For homecasters like me who only have intentions to hand over an example of it to a modelling friend or so...just some extra work on this buste but it'll come out fine.

I also have to watch for the right viscosity of the resin, and temperature in my room. Some aspects do affect your cast.
    Also here trial and error. The second one could be better :)

René
  5. pokrad A Fixture

Croatia
    It really looks easy when you do it ;)
  6. Renéduret Well-Known Member

Netherlands
    the principle is easy and dates back to early ages.

During the sculpting however you can pay some attention to parts that couldn't be casted if you didn't. Think of small outstanding things that would immediately snap when taken out of the mall.

I now see there is an order of pooring the resin also. You can imagine you want to do the head first with the delicate cap.
    In the beginning the resin is ultra fluent, seconds later it is getting less fluent.
    In this stadium it's impossible for resin to reach the finer holes in the mall.
    But also here, trial and error. you can change the proportion of harder towards the resin, maybe less harder so the resin has more time to 'grow'. Too less harder and your mall will stay 'snotty' for a long time.
    ( in worst case you can prepare this mall with the harder so the slime eventually hardens)

René
  7. antonio argudo Well-Known Member

Spain
    Great job Rene, you got it,that was fast! I bet you will start with paint soon!
    grettings
  8. Renéduret Well-Known Member

Netherlands
    hmmmm...not sure Antonio.
    what do you think about the version with the poncho?
  9. Harry New Member

Netherlands
    This is one of the most interesting threads for a beginner on here at the moment. I've been following this avidly!
  10. Renéduret Well-Known Member

Netherlands
    Dank je Harry!

Rene
  11. Renéduret Well-Known Member

Netherlands
    it's getting better.

My theory about viscosity was right.

[IMG]

[IMG]

even I have to say tonights headcast is perfect :cool:

René
    gordy likes this.
  12. Renéduret Well-Known Member

Netherlands
    that's all folks !!

[IMG]

I enjoyed your audience very much and you all were a great support to me.
    Carrying on with the major will be in the painting section now.

I hope you liked it too and I will be around as soon as I have another idea again.

take care,

René
  13. antonio argudo Well-Known Member

Spain
    thanks to you for share with us and candy gift for the eye ! it really turned super great, Im waitting for your next build! best whises!
    Antonio
  14. antonio argudo Well-Known Member

Spain
    by the way, can you make a picture and put it beside a coin, just to figure the size!
  15. Renéduret Well-Known Member

Netherlands
    Beneath the figure on this picture a little icestick is seen.

it's just a 200 mm figure Antonio.
    If I'm satisfied with the paintjob I 'm thinking of completing a body of this figure.

René
  16. antonio argudo Well-Known Member

Spain
    ups,sorry I didnt realise it before, what happend to the icecream? lol
    go for complete figure!!!!
  17. Renéduret Well-Known Member

Netherlands
    I might will Antonio :)

I was thinking...in your case..the figure measures 33 cm's.

that's a lot of resin and rubber mi amigo :cool:

but you'll have lots of possibilities, for instance..

painting your sculpt in premature stadium, see how things work out.

ok, one more shot...

[IMG]

René
  18. pokrad A Fixture

Croatia
    I saw the movie, and I like the bust very much.
    The likeness and the pose is excellent:

[IMG]

Now do the Zaitsev (y)!
  19. Renéduret Well-Known Member

Netherlands
    thank you Darko,

ofcours I have seen the movie but I made this deal with myself to watch it one more time again as soon as I finished this painting.

Jude Law has a very nice head.

I speak for myself now, found out that I need to devide my energy better as in:
    head- torso- probably a self made rifle next time

or maybe not deviding but change the order. You can imagine when working for a long time on Zaitsev, providing the Moisin Nagant could be too much at the end.
    So expect I will make this rifle first, even though the rifle has a loth of cloth wrapped on it.

René