1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Maj. Robin Olds 1/10

Discussion in 'Sculpting' started by antonio argudo, May 11, 2011.

1. antonio argudo Well-Known Member

Spain
    Maj. Robin Olds, who represents all the great values of an aviator can ever have, he is just a legend! Im fascinating with him since my childhood, here its my little tribute to the man, first volume stages on this new proyect, hope you like it guys!

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

Attached Files:

zernina and AvangarD like this.
  2. T50 A Fixture

United-States
    Good start!
    Looking forward to seeing it progress.
  3. antonio argudo Well-Known Member

Spain
    thanks Taesung, please feel more than welcome to coment or advise anything!
    grettings!

fresh pics, first sketch on the head, I notice now its kind big for the body, also right arm has something wrong that needs relocation... till next cheers!

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

and head on the body

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    zernina and AvangarD like this.
  4. antonio argudo Well-Known Member

Spain
    some more work on the head and longer moustache, cheers!

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    zernina, tbolt7, Dan Morton and 5 others like this.
  5. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    Excellent and very helpful Antonio! (y)

It is interesting to see how many parts are blocked in as reference

Thank you for sharing :)
  6. pinsel Active Member

Germany
    hello
    you have an interesting technique.while most start with an armature and add the details piece by piece you already lay them on and shape them completly in the process of refining.that shows real talent.how long does it take if i may ask if you get this fine shapes from the rouf#gher sketchlike amature...
    would you only make them commercial i would be an avid buyer.your galland too is coming along great
  7. antonio argudo Well-Known Member

Spain
    Thanks Gordy, well I prefer working having a full volume concept and going from general to detail... so theres a long way now!

Hi Pinsel, not sure if I did understood your question, but if the question is how long will it take to get a smooth finish I would love to know also lol,this sculpture is now 2 days old!!thanks for the interest but once its done I would think about make it avaliable somehow!

some refining on the features face.. Im enjoying this part but Im getting scare for the clothing step!

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    zernina, Silversurfer, Osebor and 4 others like this.
  8. pinsel Active Member

Germany
    hello
    i ment it that way on other sculptings one see the sculptur adds parts and putty to the sculpt fleshing it out.on your sculpt it seems that you already start with an rough shape and only smoothen it out
    its more like carving away than putting stuff on it.think its because you come from the classic artistic sculpting in which you shape your figures
    cheers
  9. Renéduret Well-Known Member

Netherlands
    Nice pics Antonio and great sketching too.

are we going to see a lot of pilots now since you have this passion for aviation..?

take care,
    René
  10. AvangarD Active Member

France
    VERY good works antonio
    i like follow your step by step!
  11. T50 A Fixture

United-States
    I can see that the upper torso is shifting a little too
    much to its left hand side... maybe it's just me. :)
  12. antonio argudo Well-Known Member

Spain
    you are very right, good eye! I'm retouching that part now, it looks more balance now, pics later...
    thanks Taesung, very apreciated!
    grettins
  13. antonio argudo Well-Known Member

Spain
    last pics, a bit more balance torso, on the tedius phase of getting all parts proportioned beatwen them... I still got the feealing the head is quiet big, lot to do yet!
    cheers

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    zernina and winston like this.
  14. marius'mules New Member

United-States
    The head looks like it's in proportion with the rest of the body, or at least to me it doe's. Olds had a big head anyways.

And you've done a good job on the face; it's a very good likeness of Olds
  15. martinmack New Member

United-States
    that is coming along very nicely...the likeness in particular is very very good. You've captured the ruggedness of his features very well.
  16. pkess Member

The likeness is excellent and the pose is perfect. The cover (hat) looks a little small to me. As a former Naval Flight Officer, we wore the same style of garrisson cap.
  17. antonio argudo Well-Known Member

Spain
    Thanks all for the kind comments!
    Markus, about what you said, could be a mix of carving technique and others, a mess I would call it lol!
    Rene, yesss pilots pilots pilotss, aviators are in my top list but we will see....
    Nicolas, merci mate, Im glad you are following this, very aprecciate!
    Steve, I did reduced slightly his head and now looks ok but lost some detail on the process so need to refine again... thanks for the words!
    Martin, thanks a lot for the apreciation, very kind!
    Pkess, thanks for your words, I will work on the cover hat more deep later, btwy do you also fly as co-pilot or similar, what a treat!!

last pics, not much progress visible, but a step forward at least

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    zernina likes this.
  18. pokrad A Fixture

Croatia
    Nice progress, and pretty quick too...

Then you must do a Hans Urlich Rudel !!!
    He was really stubborn fanatic, and has very interesting face ;)
  19. antonio argudo Well-Known Member

Spain
    Thanks Darko, Rudel could be an interesting subjet for sure, there are a big list for choosing on the experten side, like Heinz Bar, Nowotny, Hartman... I want to sculpt all!!!
    Thanks man, would you try an aviator yourself?
  20. pkess Member

This is really looking good. The changes you made to the head are very subtle but look right. The pose is great and it really captures his personality. Excellent portrait.
    The g-suit hose usually is at the left hip rather than in the back. That way you are not sitting on it in the aircraft.
    I was an F-14 Radar Intercept Officer.