1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed Critique Maj. Gen. Pat Cleburne CSA

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by ACCOUNT_DELETED, Aug 15, 2013.

1. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Beautiful painting Colin. Superb details and great flesh tones.
    crf likes this.
  2. Tarracus A Fixture

I agree with all the above. Congratulations, and thanks for sharing this great piece with us.
    crf likes this.
  3. Sturm Grenadier Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hello Colin, I hope you will post a photo when you have the stone wall stand and nameplate completed. Do you have any plans to do another Cleburne figure in the future? Perhaps a full figure? There are many new paintings, statues, and monuments to chose from. I agree with you about the new popularity of Gen. Cleburne, new books have been written about him, and the battles he was in. I have learned a great deal about this officer, mainly from your excellent figure, threads, and posts. I thank you for that, a very interesting man to research, and study. An excellent statue was sculpted by Ron Tunison of Cleburne that would be a great full figure. I would love to have his mock-up for his full scale statue, here is a photo 1251496517Statue2pkBWWEB.jpg And the finished statue TmpFile.JPG Here is a portrait of Cleburne that reminds me of your piece, only with his hat off. Maj.+Gen.+Patrick+Ronayne+Cleburne+painting1.jpg Once again, beautiful work on your bust of Gen. Cleburne Colin. Regards, SG
  4. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Thanks for the nice picture Ron Tunison with his study for the Cleburne memorial SG. I agree that that would make a very nice full figure. Getting a forward lean like he has while preserving the illusion of balance is a lot harder than it looks. Interesting to see photos in the background that appear to be of a reenactor dressed like Cleburne in the same pose as the final statue. Now that is a great idea for getting accuracy. I may recruit my kids as stand-ins in future. My only reservation with copying Ron's statue is, given his start within the hobby, it would feel a little like plagiarizing.

The painting you posted WAS my inspiration for the pose (I acknowledged the artist in an earlier thread).

Yes I will post the final, final when I have the rocks painted and the rosewood labelled.

Thanks for the kind words. I am still trying to decide what to do next. I have to paint Andrea's Henry VIII for a friend but I can fit that in around sculpting.

Colin
  5. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    For a bit of fun I saved a photo of him in sepia to look all periodish.

P1010039sepia.jpg

Colin
  6. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina
    I like the picture in Sepia, it really does create a nice effect.
    Thanks for sharing your work with us Colin, very delightful piece of work.
    Regards
    crf likes this.
  7. Sturm Grenadier Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hello Colin, I totally agree with you about using real people to help you sculpt a particular figure. When I was stationed at Fort Knox KY., they had a reenactment group of Germans, and Americans, who put on a show every 4th of July. I took numerous photos of these gentleman, in many poses, for my conversions of my figures, as I'm no sculptor. These guys were very informative in the equipment, uniforms, weapons, and also of the vehicles that were present, and all liked having there picture taken. Many of them were modelers themselves. There are many shows of this type, all over the world, covering many types of subject matter, they are a great resource. Also, taking photos of real people for face details is especially handy when trying to do the catch light in eyes on your figures and busts, particularly if they have the same color of eyes your trying to paint. Best of luck in your future projects Colin, will be looking for them. Regards, SG:happy:
    crf likes this.
  8. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Some real nice touches there Colin
    Ron
    crf likes this.
  9. fabrizio1969 A Fixture

Italy
    in photo sepia like a real!
    crf likes this.
  10. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    I never posted the final version of this bust with named base and stone replaced with a post. NMM gold lace has been inked as I have decided I prefer that.

Colin

P1160001.JPG P1160002.JPG P1160003.JPG
    P1160004.JPG P1160005.JPG P1160006.JPG
  11. tomifune A Fixture

United-States
    I'm hoping my prophesy will come true a year later and see this beauty in Chicago. It really came out excellent.

Bob
    crf likes this.
  12. Helm A Fixture

England
    It's a cracking job Col nice one (y)
    Steve
    crf likes this.
  13. Edorta A Fixture

Spain
    crf likes this.
  14. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Great finish to a Great sculpt Colin.

Cheers, Keith
    crf likes this.
  15. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Beautiful work colin from start to finish and beautifully presented as well (y)

Brian
    crf likes this.
  16. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Missed this one.:(
    Looks superb Colin.(y)
    crf likes this.
  17. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
  18. DEL A Fixture

Scotland
    Colin thanks for posting. It's always good to see the final concept.
    I always feel that the base and plate are very much part of the whole.
    Top class.
    Cheers
    Derek
    crf likes this.
  19. MalcC A Fixture

England
    excellent work Colin (y)

Malc
    crf likes this.
  20. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Great piece... putty to paint. A great addition to your collection of original sculpts.

Looks even better in the flesh.

Cheers

Colin T'Other