1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Maison du Roi, Gendarmes de la Garde

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by MarquisMini, Mar 16, 2017.

1. Jaybo Well-Known Member

United-States

Hello Daniel,
    I love following your work. The 18th century uniforms, especially the French uniforms, are one of my favorites. I especially enjoy the uniforms of the Maison du Roy, particularly the Chevaulegers de la Garde. This unit had the distinction of having silver kettledrums according to one of my references. As to the mounts of the Gendarmes de la Garde, what is your source? Colonel McCarthy shows an officer on a bay horse and the trumpeter on a grey or roan mount. Artistic license? All the best and keep up the great work!
    Jay
    peedee, napoleonpeart and MarquisMini like this.
  2. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina

Thanks Jay.
    There are so many contradicting sources that at some point you have to go with your own instincts sometimes.
    I mainly use osprey, but i use at least 4 sources of illustrations and pictures when it comes to the accuracy of a certain item on the uniforms.
    The Chevaux-Legéres du Roy had almost identicaL uniform of those of the Gendarmes, expcept that their lace on the hats were a mix of gold and silver lace, and at the centre of the buttonholes of the gold lace they had silver, a pointless difference in uniform between the gendarmes and Chevaux-Legéres in my humble opinion.
    They are different corps, just too identical if i may say.
    As for the horses, i red the gendarmes rode in bays, officers in grey horses, and trumpeters i don't recall but looks like white.
    As for the timbaliers it may be correct that they rode bays as well.
    I will go back to the Ospre y Louis XV cavalry later on and confirm on the light horse cavalry.
    Cheers 51cf43667e2fda1d933c7c49a9607374.jpg LUIS+XV0002.jpg c37deaf01173b19c835281c254349694.jpg s-l225.jpg
    peedee, Oda, Borek and 1 other person like this.
  3. Jaybo Well-Known Member

United-States

Thanks for the feedback Daniel. One further difference between the Gendarmes and the Chevau-legers, the button hole lace on the latter were rounded where as the Gendarmes were pointed. By the way, I have never before seen that particular Maison du Roy trumpeter figure by Monsieur Rousselot. It is fantastic.
    MarquisMini likes this.
  4. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina
    Yes, it is fantastic indeed!.
    The round button holes change was after 1750's i believe.
    Cheers!
    peedee and napoleonpeart like this.
  5. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina
    I have finished the coats and lace, again, painstaking process.
    Stsrt it to work on the hat and face now... 20170319_000454.jpg 20170319_000510.jpg 20170319_000519.jpg
    peedee, Oda, Don Johnson and 4 others like this.
  6. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Damiel

Now they are looking the part , the faces are really bringing the pieces together now , still can't believe how much detail you are getting ...

Great painting ..off to paint something a lot bigger ..lol

Nap
    peedee, Oda, oldtrousers and 2 others like this.
  7. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina

Happy painting my friend :)
    peedee and napoleonpeart like this.
  8. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina
    Added the edge for the trumpet banner ... 20170319_140136.jpg
    peedee, Oda, napoleonpeart and 3 others like this.
  9. phil_h A Fixture

United-States
    Really coming together now. The lacework looks great and was well worth the effort!

Regards,
    Phil
    peedee, Oda and MarquisMini like this.
  10. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina
    Thanks Phil :)
    peedee likes this.
  11. Oda A Fixture

Extraordinary skills indeed.I am as amazed as always!

Oda.
    peedee and MarquisMini like this.
  12. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina
    Thanks mate!
    peedee and Oda like this.
  13. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina
    These gendarmes are virtually done, except for their ruffle cuffs and minor details and housings.... 20170327_220940.jpg 20170327_221013.jpg
    Borek, peedee and Oda like this.
  14. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina
    I am working on the banner of the Gendarmes.
    I have order the flags from GMB , the problem is that they did not have the Gendarmes de lla Garde , so i ordered one of the banners of the gendarmes de Dauphin and today i layed my hands on modifying this Banner....
    I also added some yellow ink to bring out a more rich gold color on it... 20170328_094822.png 20170328_091351.jpg 20170328_092711.jpg
    Borek, peedee, Oda and 1 other person like this.
  15. Nap Moderator

England
    Awesome

image.png

Nap
    Oda likes this.
  16. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina
    Finished the guidon and sande da toothpik to make the pole.
    I added the tassels and cravats that are sold from Front rank figurines and mounted on the figure.
    Some areas of the guidon need to be retouched but all is done.
    20170328_125258.jpg 20170328_200015.jpg 20170328_204320.jpg 20170328_204331.jpg
  17. Oda A Fixture

Your courage is endless indeed.Such intricate work on such a small scale!I really can't decide what do I enjoy most,the amazing modelling work or the cornucopia of historical information.Thanks for both by the way.

Oda.
  18. Nap Moderator

England

Me too !!!!

Nap
    peedee, Oda and MarquisMini like this.
  19. Huw63 A Fixture

Superb work and a pleasure to see how you do things. Thanks too for sharing a little of your reference material with us.

Cheers

Huw

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  20. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina

You are very welcome Oda.
    Cheers
    peedee and Oda like this.