1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Magua bust in progress

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Russ, Aug 19, 2022.

1. Russ Active Member

United-States
    Hey, all -

This is a bust I bought from Nap recently, to try some techniques. I found pics of a few finished busts online; I liked one in particular, so decided to use it as my model.

This bust is maybe 70% done; in particular, the eyes/eyebrows are just roughed in, the cape needs finishing, the hair detailing, then the feathers and earrings added.

BUT - I tried a couple of new (for me) things, most notably the base is Mission Models acrylics, and the skin is ABT 502 oils. I'm looking for some constructive criticism, as this is my third bust now and I'm wanting to up my game. Thoughts? Suggestions? I will, of course, post pics when I'm done (or think I am :) ).

Sorry - I can't seem to get these to post right-side up. TIA for any tips and guidance

IMG_3499.JPG IMG_3500.JPG

IMG_3501.JPG IMG_3502.JPG
  2. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Russ

Nice to see you painting this , looking good so far , never used MM or 502 so can't advise apart possibly push the flesh contrasts a little , others will I am sure

I would definitely texture the blanket surface

Looking forward to more on this

Happy benchtime

Nap

Re pics , I rotated them once more for you ...always happy to help
    Russ likes this.
  3. Steve Ski PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    I think I've got one of these, great job so far! That chizzeled look always caught my attention, very life like.
    Jungle James O'Leary, Russ and Nap like this.
  4. Jungle James O'Leary PlanetFigure Supporter

Looking good so far. I agree with Nap about trying to add some texture to the blanket.

Who makes this bust? I want to get one so I can convert it a bit to depict Wes Studi when he served in Vietnam for the Firt Sill National Historic Landmark and Museum's Native American Exhibit Gallery where we are highlighting Native American service in the US Armed Forces.
  5. Russ Active Member

United-States
  6. franck edet A Fixture

Canada
    looks like a pretty good start, as Nap said ; lots of texture to work on !
    although : the pictures show so many variations on the skintones that it's difficult to comment