1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Magic Sculpt Problems

Discussion in 'Sculpting' started by microsculpt, Feb 17, 2006.

1. microsculpt New Member

United-States
    Greetings, all!

I have been experiencing a problem with Magic sculpt and I'm wondering if anyone else has encountered the same...

I've been working with Magic Sculpt for several years now with great success. However over the lasrt several days I've been experiencing curing problems. The stuff just won't harden. It stays sticky and pliable. I've always mixed one to one and the mixture cured in several hours.

This is the same batch I've used for a while. Mixed like I always have.

Has anyone experienced problems like this? Inconsistency in the formula, etc?

I tried heating the piece to exclerate the cure but it has no effect.

Ideas?

Thanks!

Tom
  2. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Tom, My first thought would be to add more of the "hardner" part of the putty. If you have done this and still without any positive result, it may be time to get some new putty.~Gary
  3. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Tom - How many times have you tried the mixing and hardening process with this batch of Magicsculpt? Just curious. Personally, I never buy more than a pound of the stuff at a time, just so I'm sure it is relatively "fresh". Probably over-cautious on my part...

All the best,
    Dan
  4. Manfred Active Member

Tom ,

Magic Sculp supposedly changed their formula a while ago to open shelf life as I understand.

So maybe your stuff is simply too old.

At the moment I use the 300 grams, white MS containers, about three years old.

I had it happen several times before that MS would not dry well on a wet humid/ cold day like we have here at the moment, Cologne Monsoon time :( . Sometimes it needs three days to really harden, well mixed and all. This I've been mostly able to counter with putting stuff on the heaters and let it dry there over night.

Or I have been mixing Duro with it, or AVES Apoxy Sculp and these cross brand mixes always harden well, hm...

Manfred

I look forward to hold your work in my hands one day :)