1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Maeda Toshiie -- A Reappraisal

Discussion in 'Friends of planetFigure' started by Augie, Sep 23, 2012.

1. Augie Active Member

United-States
    It is not often a sculptor has the opportunity to see his original work post-production, much less well over a decade after it was first released! And the opportunities to rework and make improvements on the original release based on information that has since become available I imagine are rarer still. You can imagine how pleased and thankful I am that such an opportunity is now before me.

On Friday, I received the master sculpts of MAEDA Toshiie and KATŌ Yoshiaki from Jim. Before anyone jumps to conclusions, Yoshiaki, my final creation for Ft. Duq, is fine as is: I will make sure it has suffered no damage in its peregrinations and wait to hear from Steve as to when he wants/needs it.

Which brings us to the senior Maeda. When I sculpted this bust, I had very little "real" information at my disposal, thus I harangued the local government of Kanazawa for a comprehensive digital photo-file of the statue of our subject that is located on the grounds of Kanazawa Castle, Ishikawa Prefecture: this was the basis of our depiction. Within a couple of years, my personal library had grown significantly, and some of the relatively more specialized references had made their way into my possession. It was only then that I discovered the true shape and dimensions of the elder Maeda's catfish tail crest (I was originally working from but a single B&W photograph), and the fact that his "heraldic garment" bearing the image of Shoki the Demon-Queller, embroidered by his wife, was in fact a jimbaori, and not a haori as I had originally supposed.

The work to-be-done, as of this writing, is as follows:
    • Rework the catfish tail crest (slightly longer and reduced volume) [nb: while IMO this is obviously a namazubi-no-kabuto, the more recent references feel that this is a variant of a naga-eboshi. Further research is definitely warranted. . .
    • Reworking the yak-hair drape on the shikoro (best described as "thinning down", or relatively wispier). Also, reduce the number of lames on the shikoro.
    • "Converting" the haori into a jimbaori. Not surprisingly, I still do not have an image of the front of the garment, as is the case with most Sengoku-period heraldic garments [nb: should anyone have an image of the front of this particular jimbaori, please contact me.]. Nonetheless, a reasonable reconstruction can be made. Also, I intend to recreate the embroidery-enhanced appliqué of Shoki.
    My second engagement with the MAEDA père is scheduled to begin within the fortnight . . .

Until then. . .
    [IMG]

Continue reading...