1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Madagascan Pirate bust

Discussion in 'Completed Figures' started by Jazz, Dec 2, 2021.

1. Jazz A Fixture

England
    Please see below my latest rendition of Raul Garcia Latorre's famous Madagascan Pirate bust which, like my 93rd Highlander bust, I have been the proud owner of for many years. Proud yes, but that didn't stop it getting knocked about in storage in my attic for several years. Now I have dug out this old piece and decided that it needs to return to its rightful place in my display cabinet. Originally this pirate had a brown leather hat but after seeing other versions on the internet I decided to upgrade mine with a nice new dark grey hat which I painted in oils. With the tanned colouring of this piece too much brown looks a bit odd so I opted for the darker hat. I have also cleaned up the skin tones somewhat giving more shading to the eyes. I have worked more on the eyes making them bluer than they were before. I was tempted to try a tattoo as some versions have done but my tattooing skils are not too good and I didn't want to ruin this piece so I left that off but I have given him a golden earing that he might sell next time he is in port!

20211202_122406.jpg 20211202_122441.jpg 20211202_122506.jpg

All in all I am pleased with how this piece has turned out and he now sits next to his old mate the 93rd Highlander. The faces on these two are very similar so I imagine them to be related. Perhaps the Highlander is the grandson of the pirate. Who knows? Hope you like what I have done. Please feel free to comment.
    John
    Nap, sd0324, dfmoss and 4 others like this.
  2. KenBoyle PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Wonderful work John! (y)

Cheers,
    Ken
    Jazz likes this.
  3. MoboSchreuder A Fixture

Beautiful work

Mobo
    Jazz likes this.
  4. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi John

Always liked this bust , nice to see you revisiting pieces , like the fleshtones and the green

Keep painting whenever possible

If you wish ....Why not enter a piece into the class of your choice in our DECEMBER's FOTM comp (links below) and also vote in NOVEMBER's classes as well ( links in FOTM forum )

https://www.planetfigure.com/thread...m-standard-ends-midnight-bst-31-12-21.399716/

https://www.planetfigure.com/thread...termediate-ends-midnight-bst-31-12-21.399717/

Always good to see the artwork

Thanks for sharing

Look forward to the next

Happy benchtime

Nap
    Jazz likes this.