1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Macedonian General, 54mm Icon Miniatures

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by tonydawe, Jan 31, 2010.

1. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi guys,

Here are the first pics of my next project, Icon Miniatures 54mm Macedonian General,sculpted by Alex Lopez.

I started it yesterday afternoon and have just finished painting the base coat colours.:cool:

There are no highlights or shading done yet, just blocking in the colours and seeing how it will look once the shield arm is glued in place. It's just blu-taked on at present.

As always I welcome any comments.:)

Attached Files:

billyturnip likes this.
  2. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Great start Tony.
    Carl.
  3. Alex Lopez Well-Known Member

Mexico
    Thanks for sharing Tony, I will following your steps...

Alex.
  4. ubbi Active Member

Italy
    very nice start Tony, this is an interesting figure, i will follow your next steps

cheers

stefano
  5. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    very nice start.
    Looking forward to your next posting.

Marc
  6. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I like the idea of blocking in all the colours first so you can geta good idea of the finished work and see if certain colours are going to work or not.

Is this going to be done in oils or acrylic ?

Steve(y)
  7. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Thanks Carl, it's not much to look at, at the moment but I think it will get better oceI start shading and highlighting.

Hi Alex, another one of your magnificent figures to add to my collection. I hope I can do justice to your sculpting. Could you tell me what you used for reference when you sculpted it?

Thanks Stefano, it is an interesting figure. I was thinking this would make an interesting addition to my growing collection of Ancient's. I haven't done many, but I've always been fascinated by Alexander's Armies and their conquests.

Thanks Marc, it's a bit of a change frommy usual subjects but I couldn't resist having ago. Thanks for following my progress.

Hi Steve, thanks for your comments mate. It's all in acrylics at the moment, although I will do an oil wash over the flesh and leather areas once I've finished highlighting and shading with acrylics. I like "blocking in" the colours first, particularly in small scaleslike 54mm, as it gives me a quick idea of what the finished piece will look like, and allows me to see how the colours harmonise. It also prevents boredom, which can set in if I don't feel I'm making steady progress.
  8. Alex Lopez Well-Known Member

Mexico
    Could you tell me what you used for reference when you sculpted it?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm sure you will make an exelent paint job like Aquifer.
    The reference I used, I take the character of Parmenios in the movie Alexander (Gaugamela battle) basically,
    but supplemented by some other research (such as the shield).

regards,
    Alex.
  9. N.Delgado Member

Spain
    Hey Tony, good idea paint basic colours. I follow you...
  10. Von Luch Active Member

United-States
    Tony,

Nice painting, and I'm looking forward to your progress!(y)
  11. mil-mart A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Tony, nice start. Will follow progress. (y)

Cheers Ken
  12. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Alex, thanks verymuch for your reply. I know the character you refer to in the movie, so that will be very helpful to me. If I remember correctly, Parmenion struggled to hold Alexander's right flank during the Battle of Gaugemela and was subsequently murdered by one of Alexander's men for plotting against him. I don't really like the movie, but the battle scenes are pretty amazing.

Hi Nando, Jim and Ken, thank you for your comments guys, I really appreciate them. I will post some more pictures soon.
  13. tony66 Member

Australia
    Great start Tony!
    I was thinking of getting this figure myself so i'll be watching how you paint it very closely.
    Tony Del
  14. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi guys,

It's been a while since I posted any WIP pics on this lovely little figure, but as you can see, I have been doing a bit more work on it lately.;)

I've been concentrating on the shading and the metallics.

I'll do the leather bits in oil washes.

I'm not happy with the face or the legs yet. Still much to do(y).

Attached Files:

15. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Metalwork, and the shield are awesome.
    The rest of the figure need some attention. But you mentioned that.

Marc
  16. ubbi Active Member

Italy
    the whites are very terrible to handle but knowing your skill i'm sure you will do a great job , the metals for my liking still need a bit of weathering but they looking good, for the flesh will you use oils ? for me the best to have nice results , i will follow your next steps with interest

cheers

stefano
  17. Von Luch Active Member

United-States
    Hi Tony,

This figure is coming along nicely. I do like the eyes, and the metallics and clothing look very nicely detailed. What will he be on for ground work? Looking forward to progress!(y)

Jim