1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Luftwafffe pilot

Discussion in 'Painting Techniques' started by Gauntlet, Apr 1, 2006.

1. Gauntlet New Member

United-States
    Hi Follks,

this is my first serious attempt at painting figures,it has been painted all in oil. It is the 120mm Luftwaffe pilot by Tamiya. Any constructive critiscium is welcomed.
    thanks

Attached Files:

2. MikkoH Member

Finland
    Seems to be very nicely painted fig. I don't know if it's light making tricks but uniform colour seems to be too light blue to me. Luftwaffe uniforms are much darker blue. But good painting! :)

Cheers Mikko
  3. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Steve,
    I'll agree with Mikko on the color, but this is VERY nicely painted. Especially for your first attempt! You made this old Tamiya figure look quite nice. The highlight and shadow are great considering this is your first attempt. Lots of folks seem to be shy of contrast at first, you should have no problems at all. Keep up the good work!

Jay H.
    OKC

PS - what part of Ohio are you from? I grew up in Centerville, a suburb of Dayton and I still have family scattered throughout the state Warren, Toledo, Columbus. Still miss the snows in winter! Go Bengals!
  4. Gauntlet New Member

United-States
    Mikko,
    Thanks for the kind comments, I agree,Luftwaffe blue was much darker. In the flesh the blue is still not dark enough but the photo for some reason appears to bleach out the color more. It maybe the secondary lighting cuasing this, that my friend used to take the photo?
  5. Mortarion Member

Nice work indeed! I do agree that the blue is too light. Furthermore a little bit of dessaturation would help it a lot as well! But technically it is a really nice piece!

Tourlou!
  6. Gauntlet New Member

United-States
    Jay,
    Thanks for th kind comments, what a small world this can be at times, i was born raised and still live in Springfield. And my ex-wife is from Centerville, it sure would be nice if she moved far away to Oklahoma :lol:,,,GO BUCKEYES!!
  7. Gauntlet New Member

United-States
    Mathieu
    Do you mean less secondary lighting used to take the photo?
  8. Mortarion Member

No, it is more in relation with the composition of your color. Its tone is too bright. Next time try cutting it with grey or a point of its complimentary color (in this case orange) in order to get a more realistic tone which will be less flashy!
  9. Gauntlet New Member

United-States
    Mathieu
    thanks for the reply
  10. JFlint New Member

Really nicely painted figure. And I think your groundwork looks great, too!