1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Lucky Jack SBS 2

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by tonydawe, Nov 30, 2008.

1. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi guys,

I've base coated the upper torso and blu tacked the head in place for these pics. I haven't started highlighting or shadowing the jacket or waistcoat yet.

The blue for the jacket was Prussian Blue mixed with Black, the waist coat is Buff and the shirt and frill are Ivory. The pony tail hair is US Field Drab.

I've done a little bit of shadowing on the shirt and frill, but it requires a lot more work. Still quite messy.

The epaulettes and braiding on the lapels will be undercoated in Dark Yellow, which helps give it some "yellowness" when I apply the Old Gold colour.

Hope you like it so far. Comments/criticisms welcome

Attached Files:

2. busso_boy New Member

Australia
    G'day Tony, I haven't really been online much to make comment so far.

But geez its looking grand, hope when i get around to doing mine its 1/2 as good, well mine will have a big white #25 on the back but that a whole other story
  3. Ixian New Member

Australia
    Hello Tony,

the colours are falling nicely into place. Look forward to seeing it complete. I suppose you are mainly using Vallejo acrylics? Are they readily available where you are?

Keep posting!
  4. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Ian and Dickson,

Thanks for your comments guys. Yes, we have a good supply of Vallejo acyrilcs here in Perth and most of the figure modellers here use Vallejo (including me), although there are still a few die hards who paint in oils and enamels.
  5. Jamie Stokes Well-Known Member

Australia
    Very good start

Hi Tony.
    progressing nicely.

You following the practice of face first, then inside/ lower layers out, I presume.
    As an SBS, this makes it handy for us to see, steal ideas and adapt for our own use.

As for metallics (like gold braid) I've found undercoating essential if its not to look patchy. After faces, metallic braids I feel are amongst the more challenging elements to duplicate as a painted medium.

What are you using for metallics on the shoulder boards? Vallejo, printers ink, something else?

Cheers
  6. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Jamie,

I generally start with the face, then work from the inside out, starting with the skin and doing each layer of clothing and leave the metallics until last.

I find that undercoating certain metallic colours helps add depth to them. I use Vallejo acrylic metallics for most projects.
  7. Christos Well-Known Member

Greece
    Fleshtones looks Great!!!
    chris
  8. vergilius New Member

Belgium
    I'm still following !
  9. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Giant leap forward.
    Waiting for the next step.
    Looks very good.

Marc
  10. Marcel Active Member

Spain
    Great progress Tony, looking forward to see the next step!

Regards,
    Marcel.
  11. FigureLover A Fixture

Australia
    Hey Tony,
    The face looks awesome, you have come leaps and bounds with your shading. Nice and subtle. The clothing looks as though it will match the face in time. Nice work.
    Ben
  12. ghamilt1 A Fixture

Canada
    I've been following your progress on this closely Tony and have to say he's looking great so far. Keep up the good work.
  13. captnenglish Well-Known Member

United-States
    Assuming the fat guy in the red suit leaves this one my tree,I hope it turns out 1/4 as well as yours
  14. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Christos, Patrick, Marc, Marcel, Ben , Glenn and Matthew,

Thank you very much for posting your comments and for continuing to encourage me. I really appreciate it guys.

I've started shadowing and highlighting on the shirt, waistcoat and jacket, and applied the first coat of gold (brass & bronze) on the epaulettes and the collar braids, and brass on the buttons.

The jacket is still very rough and requires a lot more blending.

The hair will eventually be blonde, but I'm just building up the transitions at this stage.

Hope you like it.

Attached Files:

15. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    Tony,
    Looking superb so far.
    Cheers
    John
  16. renarts Active Member

United-States
    Awesome job Tony. He's looking great and you've certainly inspired me to pick this one up.
    When I do braiding, I undercoat or base coat with a dark reddish brown (like a hull red)and then build up layers via drybrushing. A heavy drybrush with a dark yellow, and then a lighter drybrush with my metallic gold. This seems to give things like epaullete chords or lacing on napoleonic uniforms alot of depth.
    I look forward to your progress. Thanks for this sbs.
  17. tony66 Member

Australia
    Awesome work Tony. It looks even better in real life!
    Tony Del
  18. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi John, Mike and Tony,

Thanks guys. It's great to get so much support from fellow Planeteers.

Tony, I hope to see you post some pics of your latest piece soon.
  19. Kveto Bradac Member

Sudan
    Hello Tony,

I like very much the fleshtones of this bust which looks very realistic and natural. The blue colour of jacket and the metal parts are beautiful. I am looking forward your next step.

Regards Kveto
  20. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Kveto,

Thank you very much for your kind words.

I'm in the process of putting the finishing touches to this bust, and will post a few final pics once they're done. Still some highlighting to be done on the jacket and the epaulettes.

Here's a shot of how the bust looks at the moment.:)

I've done several black/blue glazes over the jacket to darken it, as the previous colours were too light. Royal Navy jackets were very dark blue, almost black so that's the direction I've gone.

Hope you like it.

Attached Files: