1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP " Lucky Ditch" Messerschmitt BF 109g-6

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Dr Force, May 9, 2012.

1. Dr Force A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Thanks Rob, no engine in the garage but well over 150 photos lol!
  2. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Dave,
    Are you sure you don't have one of those machines that shrinks you down to 1/16 scale??? Looks like you've had a monkey wrench on that pipework. Brilliant attention to detail again.
    cheers
    Richie
    Mike Stevens and Dr Force like this.
  3. Dr Force A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Thanks Richie, I appreciate your compliments. I wish I did have a machine it would make life alot easier, but hey, where is the funin that!!!
    I have been busy getting the fuselage together and pretty much completed so I can now concentrate on the wing damage and scratch built cannopy.

First Job was to damage and bend the prop which would have obviously still been spinning when ditched. This was simply done with a candle using close but gradual heat:-

i1.jpg i2.jpg i3.jpg i4.jpg i6.jpg i7.jpg i9.jpg i8.jpg z1.jpg z2.jpg z3.jpg z4.jpg z5.jpg

On to the wings now!!
    Mike Stevens and pmfs like this.
  4. Dr Force A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Made a start on the wings by taking off a wing tip and a large chunk the other side. This will then be modded to show torn and bent metall panels at the ends, I have also done a dry run on the composition :-

wing4.jpg wing5.jpg wing7.jpg
  5. Lew J Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi Dave looking great as per your usual standard, was just wondering if you planned on having the plane up at that angle as most downed aircraft seem to be flat or slightly tilted towards the nose.
    I've took the liberty of finding a couple of pics quickly you've probably already seen them, thought they might be of use.
    article-2159744-005E80FB00000258-468_634x345.jpg 500px-263087.jpg

Lew J.
    Mike Stevens likes this.
  6. Steve Ski PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Now why didn't I get my update???:(:( Dang Dave, this is really gettin the hair on the back of me neck standin up Bro. Ahhhhh, waaaaa, I want the snow to fly so I can get back in my bunkerrrrrrrr.........waaaaaaaaaa. Now I'm really itchin to get to sniffin paint and gluin my fingers together. Way cool on the 109 and the layout. This is a ringer Bro.

The pic with the Tommis makes the A/C look so small in comparison, great pic.

Cheers, Ski.:D

P.S. My mind is all out of wack, it's still raining and cold up here so I feel like I should be in the bunker vs building decks and pouring concrete, go figure.
    Mike Stevens likes this.
  7. Barke02 Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Crackin' work Dave! Coming along nicely.

Nice pictures Lew. The one on the left shows Feldwebel Herbert Bischoff's White 9 (1/JG52) down at Birchington in Kent 24th August 1940. Minster Road in the background with Closes Cottages out of view to the right if you want to look on Google Maps. The wing was torn off when it hit an anti-invasion pole. The staffel badge shows a running boar. There's a good write up on Bischoff's last flight in 'The Luftwaffe Fighters' Battle of Britain', an excellent book by Chris Goss.

The photo on the right shows the very famous 109 of Oberleutnant Franz von Werra (Stab II/JG3), down at Love's Farm, Marden Kent 5th September 1940. Von Werra (made famous by Hardy Kruger in the 1957 film 'The One That Got Away') was the only German POW to sucessfully escape back to Germany after July 1940. He had escaped by jumping from the window of a train in Canada and crossing the nearly frozen St. Lawrence river into then neutral America. Von Werra was a bit of a celebrity before being posted back to a frontline unit, and meeting a watery end due to an assumed catastrohic engine failure off the coast of Holland in October 1941. There's a good write up on von Werra in 'Jagdwaffe, Battle of Britain Phase Three, September-October 1940', a cracking book on Luftwaffe camouflage by Eric Mombeek.

Dave, I've seen an excellent photo somewhere of a 109 force landed in Normandy. It's at a great angle smashed up against a stone wall, and I think it's a 'G'. will have a search for it...

All the best,
    Jon.
    Mike Stevens likes this.
  8. sam b Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi Dave
    Ive not commented on your new master peice untill now , just been rushed off my feet with work !
    Although I must say this is the nuts its a work of art just the figures a long are a brilliat n the downed plane really looks the part !

Following closely

Sam
    Mike Stevens likes this.
  9. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Dave, another step towards another winner mate. Do have to agree about the nose angle of a crashed 109 being downward tho, due to the weight of the engine etc. No doubt you got it covered already. Crazy isn't it, we go to a lot of trouble to put in all the extra plumbing, pipes wires etc. Then prime it all, just so we can paint it to look like plumbing, pipes, wires etc.!!!

Cheers,

Ron
  10. Dr Force A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    b1.jpg b2.jpg b3.jpg b4.jpg b5.jpg b6.jpg b9.jpg b10.jpg can2.jpg can6.jpg can11.jpg can12.jpg can13.jpg can14.jpg Lew, Steve, Jon, Sam and Ron, thank you very much for all your input and support.

Lew, I will more than likely go with the simple belly landing with maybe a hint of tilt dependent upon the groundwork, so thank you.

Steve, its bloomin cold here too fella, which is why I am getting in the build time rather than soaking up the sun in the garden.

Jon, a gret help as usual, any pics would be a huge help, so thanks.

Sam and Ron, thanks for showing an interest and your words of encouragement.

So more work done with the wings completed, joints resanded and the cannopy now being engineered (original was out of scale). The final photos is a dry run of all the fixtures so far completed
    Tommi, Mike Stevens, gordy and 2 others like this.
  11. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    You can't beat the real thing Dave, in this case aluminium.
    Looking good mate,
    Carl.(y)
  12. Dr Force A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Thanks Carl

The plastic was just too thick to represent the thin panels the aircraft was equipped with so the only thing I could think of was a can of fanta lol!
  13. bigtodd PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Dave,

Looking great!!! Any other photos of the figures or are they completed?

The gap in the wing root should disappear some when you add the dihedral angle back in.

Todd
  14. Helm A Fixture

England
    This is going to be amazing

Steve
  15. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Cant believe I have totally missed this thread mate, bonus is I have just had a great 20 minutes catching up with it all, excellent work Dave and sure to be impressive when completed, nice work on the A/C damaged wing.
    Will keep my eye on this one now (y)

All the best

Steve
    Dr Force likes this.
  16. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    Damn Dave! Makes me want to do an airplane again :smug:
    Dr Force and Mike Stevens like this.
  17. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Didn't look til now bcause I thought it would be just another pilot sitting in a plane....and that it would be boring. Crap was I ever wrong! This is a master class in figure, vehicle and wreckage modelling. Thanks for taking the time to share.

Colin
    Dr Force and Mike Stevens like this.
  18. Mike Stevens PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Hi Dave,

Amazing work on the aircraft. The figure are really good as well. I'll continue to follow this one.
    Dr Force likes this.
  19. pmfs A Fixture

Portugal
    Here also Dave. Wonderful use can of fanta!:joyful:
  20. Dr Force A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Guys

Thank you so much for all your comments and sorry i have been away for a while.

I'm now back on the bench painting so will update you in due course, I appreciate all the support.