1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP " Lucky Ditch" Messerschmitt BF 109g-6

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Dr Force, May 9, 2012.

1. Dr Force A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Dear All (it's barmy Dave again)

I have been planning this for about 2 months ago as I drew near to the completion of " Tiger In Wait"

I have loaded below a concept drawing .It will involve a major conversion of a 1/18 pre-built BBI display model ( I have checked the scale against my 1/16 figures and it fits perfectly) and a major conversion of the two figures seen in the picture. I am also contemplating the sculpt of 3-5 inquisitive sheep to add some more interest!

Below is a picture of the scale BF109, this will have a major overhaul, stripped, re-painted (colour scheme as per JG54) and all the best detail one can add (scratch built) to the cockpit & engine, broken wings (engine cowl will be open one side to reveal the major detail)

The figure is an oldish kit which has some of the worst casting I have seen, the sculpting is quite average but it makes for a nice peice to convert and fit in to the scene. I have started the concept conversion which will need new trousers thicken the waist etc, new tunic/jacket, life jacket, flight helmet, boots, hands, head etc

The guy holding up our lucky pilot will be wearing standard field clothing with reworked boots I found in my stash. I also found some other 1/16 boots that will do nicely for the conversion to flight boots.

I hope to complete this in a 4-6 month period and will try to make it as detailed as I can, it's going to be accuarte as far as the aircraft and clothing is concerned but the scene is obviously fictional!

Attached Files:

combatartist, Steve, Diegoff and 5 others like this.
  2. pmfs A Fixture

Portugal
    Dave if you need 1/16 Luftwaffe photoetched medals or 1/16 heads, I have here one from Kirin just ask.
    Following.

Pedro
  3. Dr Force A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Thanks Pedro, I very much appreciate that. I have some medals and photo etched insignia but if I need any further help I'll pm you.

Cheers
    Dave
  4. mil-mart A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Dave an excellent idea for your next project and looking forward to following. Although not sure just how inquisitive sheep would be following a plane just crash-landing in their field.;)

Cheers Ken
    Dr Force likes this.
  5. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Looking forwards to this one Dave.
    You're not bad with a pencil either,
    Carl.(y)
    billyturnip likes this.
  6. amcairns A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Dave,
    the wounded pair look familier .
    Cheers
    Andy
  7. antonio argudo Well-Known Member

Spain
    Hi Dave, Im a great fan of aviation and pilot figures as well, this looks really cool proyect, Ill follow this one, good luck mate!!!!(y)
  8. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Exactly what I was thinking.
  9. Dr Force A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Thanks guys, I'm looking forward to this one as much as the Tiger.

Andy, I think this was one of your sculpts, as stated the casting is awful, the boots on both sides have a huge step in them, the finger tips all have holes in and there are thick mould lines up the inner legs. I think this is masking the sculpt somewhat, the dynamic pose is very good but it's not as clean as Alpine, Jeff shui etc so this is what I was comparing it to when stating average! Apologies if this offended as I know your work is excellent. Anyway I'm stripping them down lol!

Will update in due course with amendments as and when done.

Thanks for your interest.

Dave
  10. Dr Force A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Thanks Carl (and Roger)' it's just a quick sketch but if I put my mind to it I can get some half decent results, it's just that I prefer the 3 dimensions of modelling which is where all my time goes.

Cheers
    Dave
  11. amcairns A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Hi Dave,
    No offence taken.You are right to add your critique.Sculpting to me seems a continual learning process.I think you need a thick skin in this business.
    Cheers
    Andy
    Dr Force likes this.
  12. Dr Force A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Thanks Andy, I can't sculpt full stop so I'm not really in a position to critique from a technical point of view and yes we are all still learning in this game. When I look at your latest work and then compare there seems to be little comparison, but I can't stress enough how poor the casting is, it almost looks as though it kind of slipped down a couple of mm during th process?

Anyway, look forward to seeing/ purchasing some of your latest/future works.

Cheers
    Dave
  13. amcairns A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Dave
    I,ll mention the slippage problem to my caster,he QC,s them but I didnt check it also so it got through the net.apologies.

Andy
  14. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    This will another great threat to follow.

Marc
  15. Akritas Active Member

Cyprus
    Creativity at its best(y)
    Dr Force likes this.
  16. Lew J Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi Dave, another great looking project you've got planned looking forward to it. In regards to the "inquisitive sheep" I gather from a program I watched about helicopter medics sheep and horses run away whilst cows will come over to see what's up.

Lew J.
  17. Mike Stevens PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
  18. Dr Force A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Thank you all for your interested / kind comments and I hope you enjoy the updates! I hav rcvd the 109 today and I am surprised at the level of detail on this kit, I almost feel sad ripping it apart but it's got to be done.

I'll post up some pics later of the plane later so you can see for yourself, but I need the cockpit and engine detail so it needs to come apart. I also like my chosen paint scheme and really can't wait to get stuck into this!
  19. Silversurfer Active Member

Germany
    Hi David,
    that might be a big bang when finished! I´ve seen some dio´s in the same manner but in smaler scales. You must have a lot of space!
    I'm curious to see how it goes.

Cheers Thomas
  20. Dr Force A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Thanks Thomas

As stated earlier I have rcvd the BF109 model. I have inspected closely in consideration of pulling it apart and adding the detail and new paint job. Pics show some close up area's of the moulding ,detail and joints so you can see what I need to do.

Nice touch from BBI was the certificate of authenticity!!!

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      304.1 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      282.5 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg