1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed Lt Richard Winters - Normandy 1944

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by smudger1960, Aug 13, 2011.

1. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    I have just recently finished my first Scale 75 figure which is based upon Lt Richard 'Dick' Winters who served with the 506th PIR which was attached to the 101st Airborne Division during the normandy campaign following D-day.
    The regiments actions were portrayed in the highly succesfull HBO TV series Band of Brothers a few years ago, and following the sad death last jan of Mr Winters i thought it was a nice touch by Scale 75 to release a figure based on him during his time in normandy.

The figure is nicely cast in white metal with a small part scenic base also included in the kit.
    I decided to add some extra groundwork as i dont like to display just the small one in the kit so the groundwork was extended right upto the base edge.

The figure was undercoated in GW chaos black follwed by airbrushed coats of tamiya olive drab and khaki,once dry all painting was completed using oils applied of the acrylic base colours.

As with most of my subjects weathering was added with touch's of burnt umber applied in with the drab uniform colours to depict dirt which was evident on these uniforms following the heavy fighting and parachute drops made by the unit,i also added some weathering with MIG powders on the lower half of the figure to represent dust.

Problems again with photo's some with diffused flash some without the flash,very enjoyable figure however and i would highly recomend this to anyone interested in WW2 or the US army.

From this day to the ending of the world...
    We in it shall be remembered
    We gallant few,we band of brothers,
    For he today that sheds his blood with me
    Shall be my brother.

Hope you enjoy the post,all coments and critisism welcomed.

Happy Painting.Brian

Attached Files:

GARRY, Richie, sarouman and 16 others like this.
  2. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Superb job Brian, great idea partly burying the bag.
    A touch of the bard as well,;)
    Carl.
  3. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    Brian,
    Superbly done and excellent display.
    Cheers
    John
  4. Trep Active Member

United-States
    Very nice painting, but I thought I read he didnt carry a thompson, he carried a M-1 garand
  5. FigureLover A Fixture

Australia
    Very nice, I love the weathered look that you have given him, brilliantly done
    Ben
  6. Gellso A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I'm pretty sure every soldier at some point in his career used more than one type of weapon, although I'm no historian so I don't have any evidence to back this up.

Absolutely great work on this figure.
    Realistic groundwork also and it ties in great with the tones of the painted figure.
  7. pmfs A Fixture

Portugal
    Great work Brian, the weathering effects on Major Winters are pretty well done.(y)
    Fantastic Groundwork!
    Brian please avoid the flash? next time!:)

It doesnt matter... but according the Movie "Band of Brothers" Lt. Winters lost is weapon in the jumping, the first weapon he carry in Normandie was Mauser K98 and after M1 Garand like Trep mentioned.
    I think Steven Spielberg and Tom Hanks would not neglect the historical accuracy.
  8. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Very good paintwork.

marc
  9. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Very nice Brian
    It is always a bit harder to do camo in oils because of the sheen but this looks
    good.

Ronnie
  10. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Great work Brian,

Given your painting is much better than your photography please allow me to suggest you don't use flash at all. The weathering on the figure is superb.
  11. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Grant / Ben / Carl / John / Marc / Ron - many thanks guys for your kind coments,they are always very much appriciated (y)

Pedro - I do apologise for the use of the flash,i just cant seem to get a good decent photo lately,i'll keep trying,but no flash from now on :confused:

Tony - I had to laugh when you mentioned my photography skills,i would consider myself to quite a patient person as i am a keen fisherman too but there are times when i just want to launch the camera out of the window :mad:

Daniel - I'm not sure about the thompson,the figure may have been based on the TV series,he may well have had to use a thompson at some point,i'll have to browse the DVDs to see if he did use the thompson :confused:
  12. sarouman A Fixture

Greece

+1 agree my friend!!!!

Alexandros(y)(y)
  13. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Brian,
    Very nice job, great weathering, love the overall effect. I know what you mean about the camera I've often thought of casting mine into the sea and saving a lead.
    cheers
    Richie
  14. pmfs A Fixture

Portugal
    Dear Brian, please try this wonderful post/article by Mark Bennet (gothigeek) you will understand the secret of pictures and like Teasung said in one of my posts "It's not a rocket science " and next time your pics will be more effective, like your painting!(y)
    Enjoy!
  15. Marcel Active Member

Spain
    Great painted figure Brian!

Cheers,
    Marcel.