1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique Lt. Paulee 6me Hussards 1813 ~1/5 scale

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by ACCOUNT_DELETED, Oct 21, 2015.

1. Steve Ettinger Active Member

United-States
    We met breifly at your exhibit in Chicago, speaking about your use of sculpey for your fabulous work. Ive followed this sculpt from the begining . I too love the old portraits, as my Avatar attests. The one I have as my Avatar is one I choose because I have a friend who is a Doppelganger, for whoever this handsome fellow was. Cant wait to see the finished piece.
    crf likes this.
  2. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Best thing about shows is meeting our peers Steve. Great meeting you too. Your avatar would make a really nice piece. Love those hussars!

I was surprised that I was asked by several folks at the show why I sculpt so large. To me it is a scale that allows for lots of detail and an opportunity to reflect the character in those old portraits. Plus they provide a wow factor to those outside our hobby who wouldn't look twice at a 1/10 bust. But I think I may be on the edge of acceptable scale for the "miniatures" hobby. That's OK though as I am sculpting primarily for me.
    Borek, sd0324, peedee and 2 others like this.
  3. peedee A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    That's the best reason, and because you are a harsh taskmaster,
    you get fantastic results mate.

Paul
  4. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Its been a week. Started dabbling with his dolman and gloves. Still al long way to go. Incandescent light so a little bit of an orange shift. Most of the piece is just undercoated at this stage.

PB055148s.jpg

PB055140s.jpg PB055139s.jpg PB055143s.jpg PB055144s.jpg
  5. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Nice work my friend. Solid red. The head looks fantastic... New BoC (Best of Colin)!

On the edge of the couch watching this develope.

Colin
    Borek likes this.
  6. Gaudin A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I think he has an immediate impact on viewer that outdoes your previous works, this is what a museum display piece should have - decent size and catching attention, and then a feast of small detail to look into up close.
    crf likes this.
  7. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Wow, He is looking terrific, superb colour and the detail is excellent.
    All the best
    crf likes this.
  8. peedee A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    The guys are correct Colin, its a terrific piece.

What made you choose this subject , was it the uniform ?colour, or something else in the portrait?

Paul.
    crf likes this.
  9. Chrisr PlanetFigure Supporter

Australia
    Very impressive. Looks great.
    crf likes this.
  10. ellie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Looking very nice indeed love the skin tones, glad to see you shortened the arm makes him look even better. he's going to be a great piece when finished keep it up well done.

Cheers

Ian

www.elliesminiatures.com
    crf likes this.
  11. MCPWilk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Superbly done.

Mike
    crf likes this.
  12. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Thanks gents.

@ Paul - I was originally attracted to the vibrancy and overall poise of the portrait and then looked at the close up shots and got blown away by the detail the painter included in the uniform. It was normal for portrait artists of the time to spend most of their time in the face and then to rough in the uniform and background for the viewer.

Descamps went crazy on the detail, painting the patterns of the uniform lace, sash barrels and producing a exact copy of the Legion medal.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

The combination of the quality portrait and the ultra detail represented did it for me. :) Very appealing to a modeller.
  13. peedee A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    That's what I hoped.

The detail on the outer part of the lace would alone be reason enough for me.
    But it's a stunning portrait, and the colour scheme is a dream.
    all the best mate.
    Paul.
    crf likes this.
  14. clrsgt A Fixture

United-States
    A fantastic sculpt that looks even better with the paint on it. Well done. I admire the portrait as well.
    crf likes this.
  15. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    A better daylight picture. Adjusted the hair a bit but more to do on it. NMM gold lace will have more highlighting and shading too. Red on dolman is mostly done - Scale 75's red paint set for the most part.

image.jpeg image.jpeg
    Borek, Mike Stevens, Martin64 and 7 others like this.
  16. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    They are superb tone's on the face, its all coming together now.
    Regards
    crf likes this.
  17. Wayneb A Fixture

United-States
    Looks great Colin.......nailed the eyes.....curious about the hair........Wayne
    crf likes this.
  18. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Thanks Wayne. What is your question about the hair? Sculpting or painting?
  19. Wayneb A Fixture

United-States
    The flow Colin...Sorry, nothing connects........maybe that was your intent.....don't take it the wrong way,....Wayne
    crf likes this.
  20. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    That's OK. I was going for a rough and sort of wind swept look. Painting is still in progress. Not sure what you mean by " nothing connects" but no worries if that is what you are seeing :)