1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Lt. Col. William Washington

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by garyjd, Jan 6, 2006.

1. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Guy, Thanks. I'm looking forward to doing a full figure.~Gary
  2. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Here I've started adding more of the depth to the piece as well as building up the face a bit.

Attached Files:

3. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    An angled view. It's hard to get decent pictures with the putty being white.

Attached Files:

4. Roy New Member

United-Kingdom
    Looking good so far Gary...looking forward to seeing the face take shape..and maybe that little chubby looking chin too.. :)

All the best...Roy.
  5. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Roy, Thanks. I hope to fill it out later in the week.~Gary
  6. Roy New Member

United-Kingdom
    It's the little details (the chubby face and the heavy eye-lids) that makes it all so enjoyable...for us to watch, as well as for you to sculpt.. ;) and I find it especially interesting as it's a flat..
    it's a pleasure to watch your progress Gary.

All the best...Roy.
  7. rej Well-Known Member

Malta
    Great piece Gary,

Watching in admiration and awe of your talent :eek:

Keep it rolling,

Ray ;)
  8. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Roy, thanks for the very kind words, they are most appreciated as always. I always wanted to try a scratchbuilt flat, but it was never more than a thought. Your flats are what pushed me were the deciding factor for me to ry it out. thanks.~Gary
  9. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Ray, thank you.~Gary
  10. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    I've managed to get quite a bit done on the face over the past day or so. The eyes still need to be worked in yet. There is a little work to finish on the nose, then I'll move onto the ears and hair.

Attached Files:

11. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    The overall "flat".

Attached Files:

12. Roy New Member

United-Kingdom
    Gary that's excellent...you just gotta love the way the face is turning out...and the chubby chin....that's a great result. (y)

All the best...Roy.
  13. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Great sculpting, Gary! You really captured him!

All the best,
    Dan
  14. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Roy, thanks. Washington's face was one reason I picked him. Before he was at this stage the face had too many lines, verses the smooth baby face he has in the portrait.~Gary
  15. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Dan, Thanks. I thought that duplicating the Peale portrait was going to be a piece of cake. Quite the opposite turned out to be true. A face with a lot more lines would have been easier. One day i'm going to do him in the round. It will be neat to compare the two.~Gary
  16. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    I'm very close to being done with this bust. There a little more clean up to do on some of the details and I have to finish the epaulet. The picture was purposely taken a little dark as the white putty makes it a little difficult to view.

Attached Files:

17. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Close up of the face. The likeness to the painting is so so. I did want to retain the cherub or boyish look of Washington's face.

Attached Files:

18. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    I have a little more "relief" work to do yet on the uniform portion.

Attached Files:

19. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Gary,
    this looks fantastic! Nice job. I think you captured the painting VERY well! Are you going to paint him up? Keep us posted as it comes to completion!

Jay H.
    OKC
  20. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Jay, Thanks. As for painting them i'm not sure. I'm going to do a few more of the Peale portraits and then decide what to do with them.~Gary