1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique Lt. Col. Douglas, 11th Hussars, 200mm MMM

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Tony Dawe, Jan 28, 2018.

1. Tony Dawe A Fixture

Australia
    Thanks guys, I really appreciate your comments and encouragement. Have just finished another session with the brushes and I've started oil washes and shading on the gold braiding.

I've had to stop for the moment, because I don't have good reference photos for the medals. If anyone can help me I'd be very grateful.

IMG_1232.JPG
    oldtrousers, malc, anstontyke and 3 others like this.
  2. Tony Dawe A Fixture

Australia
    I'm assuming the two medals are the Companion of the Order of Bath (C.B.) and the Crimean Medal with two clasps.

If anyone has any other information on these I'd be happy to hear from you.
    IMG_1236.JPG IMG_1233.JPG
    anstontyke and Perseas like this.
  3. Tony Dawe A Fixture

Australia
    Done. On to the pelise now.....
    IMG_1237.JPG
  4. JonH Active Member

Is that medals confirmed?
    I think that braid work is just about perfect. Also the blue of the dolman.
    When will you do the lettering on the medal clasps?
    Jon.
    Perseas, anstontyke and Tony Dawe like this.
  5. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Hi Tony
    If you check out Bob's post, the portrait painted after the return to Aldershot shows his four awards quite well.
    I think that the third medal is a Turkish award? Additionally there look to be three or maybe four bars on the Crimean ribbon
    I am enjoying watching Him take shape and hope that this is of some help.
    All the very best
    Keith
    anstontyke and Tony Dawe like this.
  6. Tony Dawe A Fixture

Australia
    Thanks Jon and Keith,

This figure is based on the 1856 photo, not the 1858 portrait so I'm comfortable that the two medals depicted are correct for the period. The only problem is the Crimea Medal should have four clasps not just two. I'll have to weigh up the merit of adding two extra clasps over the need to crack on and finish this figure quickly.

My wife and I have a holiday planned at the end of this month that will see us away from home for the next 6 months.

I'll hopefully get a chance to meet some Planeteers in Europe, Canada and New Zealand while I'm away and attend a few shows. More details to follow soon.
    IMG_1172.JPG
    oldtrousers, Perseas, Grod and 2 others like this.
  7. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Good reference material Tony.
    Now pull your finger out so as to keep the Lady indoors happy and enjoy that holiday.
    Best wishes
    Keith
    anstontyke and Tony Dawe like this.
  8. Tony Dawe A Fixture

Australia
    Thanks Keith.

Progress on the pelise tonight. I've undercoated the gold braid with Cork Brown. The next step is to paint over it with the metallic mix of Pale Gold. Then I'll apply a wash of Van Dyke Brown oils and finally highlight with Flesh Tone.

Once that is done I'll go back with Storm Blue and tidy up the edges and then do the fur cuffs and edges.

The pelise is just blutaked in place for the photo and will eventually be pinned the the torso to make the join stronger.

Hope you like the progress.
    IMG_1244.JPG IMG_1245.JPG
    oldtrousers, malc, Bootneck and 8 others like this.
  9. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Superb progress Tony.
    Amazingly sharp brushwork throughout mate.........why do I always get that little bit of escaped paint.
    I am glued this one, 10/10
    Keith
    anstontyke, Tony Dawe and Oda like this.
  10. Oda A Fixture

You are doing a magnificent job on what I consider the best cavalry regiment in the history of the British army.I think that the end result will be a jaw dropper.

Oda.
    Wings5797, anstontyke and Tony Dawe like this.
  11. Chrisr PlanetFigure Supporter

Australia
    That is excellent Tony. Well done.

Cheers
    Chris
    Tony Dawe likes this.
  12. Geoff Charman A Fixture

Looking really nice Tony.

Geoff
    Tony Dawe likes this.
  13. malc PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    Like this, really looks good, certainly looks a challenge.

Nicely done sir
    Tony Dawe likes this.