1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique Lt. Alexander Dunn VC, 11th Hussars 1854

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by ACCOUNT_DELETED, Feb 12, 2015.

1. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
  2. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Aw come on... go for it... finish him off with legs and a horse! That'd be kool :cool:

Of course he might take up your whole front room but what the hell. I just bought a pick-up truck so I can offer my services when you need to transport him to and from shows. What are friends for?

Colin
    crf likes this.
  3. Nap Moderator

England
    Colin,

Like others have said that head is great love the action it portrays really nice work on the eyes and mouth

Really looking forward to the torso and lacework ..I just know it's going to look great mate

Any reason why you have completed the head first rather than sculpt everything and then paint it up ?....just intrigued!

As CC said finish him off with legs and a horse ..come on it's only a bit more putty!!

Thanks for sharing

Nap
    Wings5797, ChaosCossack and crf like this.
  4. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Hi gents....I felt like painting so I painted. No logic to it. :)

I actually thought about doing the whole figure. Not this time. But a future project will likely be a mounted Lord Cardigan on Ronald. Large scale.

Right now I am researching the regimental lace of the 11th so I can paint the correct pattern into it.

Cheers

Colin
  5. Nap Moderator

England
    Blimey Colin......... Cardigan and Ronald ...the horse furniature itself will be a challenge

Get this going then young man!

Happy torso sculpting we are all glad you decided to paint!

Nap
    crf likes this.
  6. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    The plan is to put him in one of these two textbook sword combat posititons from the Mollo book - either First Point (Grey) or Left Guard (Lt Dgn).

Image2dqda.jpg Image2gvfhj.jpg

Here is the best pic I have found so far of the 11th's regimental lace - from the rear of an officer's pelisse. Again from the excellent Mollo book.

lace.jpg

And a good line drawing from the old Almark British Hussar Regiments.

Iline drawing.jpg

Colin
  7. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    I'm looking forward to this... gotta say though, the lace looks like it'll be a total nightmare. It'd be a bitch to paint never mind sculpt :nailbiting:
    crf likes this.
  8. MCPWilk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    As has been said, the Charge of the Light Brigade was led by Ronald, Lord Cardigan just went along for the ride!

Mike
    ChaosCossack and crf like this.
  9. Ferris A Fixture

Head is looking great Colin.
    You have a unique approach to paonting faces, very recognizable as well.

Cheers,
    Adrian
    ChaosCossack and crf like this.
  10. Ray Welshman Active Member

Looking good my friend

Cheers

Ray
    crf likes this.
  11. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Had my son take a few pics of me holding my sabre to get the direction of the wrinkles and the line of the shoulder. Horrible photos but in the end a useful exercise.

P2180768.JPG P2180770.JPG P2180771.JPG
  12. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Great idea... just remember the dolman is alot stiffer than the sweatshirt.
    crf and Wings5797 like this.
  13. Chris Mortimer Active Member

New_Zealand
    Somehow If managed to miss this till now. Wow! Another brilliant looking work. Can't wait for more pics.
    crf likes this.
  14. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Looking good Colin,
    Super way to get a good pose.
    You just need to get the head position facing slightly left toward your opponent.if he is mounted plus down if he is on foot.
    At last my fencing classes may have paid off.
    All the best,
    Keith
    crf likes this.
  15. DEL A Fixture

Scotland
    Great project Colin.
    I admire the originality of your project and the way you approach and research your work.
    I couldn't even imagine the effort you put in (y)
    Cheers
    Derek
  16. bistray Well-Known Member

England
    more great work Colin, i like where this is going
    crf likes this.
  17. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Here is the beginning of his torso. Given the trademark uniform element of the 11th, I wanted to get in a bit of his cherry pants so we are looking at a full half figure.

P2180781s.jpg

P2180779s.jpg P2180782s.jpg P2180783s.jpg
  18. Joe55 A Fixture

United-States
    Heck ya, this is gonna be cool! I can see all the thought and effort you have been, and continue to put into this latest project of yours. Just love it!

Joe
    crf likes this.
  19. Chris Mortimer Active Member

New_Zealand
    Unbelievable mate, the face and head are superb. How long has it taken to get to this stage?
    crf likes this.
  20. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Thanks gents. Chris - you can see the time by looking back at the real time dates of the posts in this string. I make it 6 days so far.

Cheers

Colin