1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

LRDG Bust

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by amcairns, Oct 10, 2009.

1. amcairns A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Gidday All,
    This is astart on a bust of an NZer in the Lrdg in North Africa.The scale is 1/10.He wears local headgear an a duffel coat with a large collar to keep out the elements.Phil mentioned that the Kiwi,s when smoking a pipe in the cool desert evening would often point the top of the pipe downwards to avoid the glow being spotted by enemy aircraft.I have added this idea to the bust which adds a bit of curiosity to the character.comments welcome.
    Andy

Attached Files:

2. specmod Active Member

Australia
    Cooooool

Hi Andy, mate what can l say, you are a mean lean sculpting machine, keep em coming mate. This is a really nice looking bust. Top work mate.

Cheers Andrew Judson
  3. Mike - The Kiwi A Fixture

New_Zealand
    MATEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!

You've hit the jackpot here I reckon. Give me a yell if I can help with this one ;-)

Are you planning on adding some heft too his back? He seems a bit flat on the side on view.
    Only other suggestion would be a set of googles on his head. If you do this, leave the glass out an the modeller can add with varnish or similiar. There's a neat shot of some US ski googles on this mock up:
    http://www.diggerhistory.info/pages-uniforms/new-zealand.htm Will still be great with out these as the work on the headdress looks spot too.

Reminds me of Brendan O'Carroll's explanation of them hunkering down at night in the cold. You see this chap - http://www.lrdg.org/images/Unknown Trooper.jpg A nice tribute this work.

Luv'n it.

Mike
  4. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Beautifully done, Andy. The folds of the headdress are super, the beard and the upside down pipe make him a real character. Great stuff!

All the best,
    Dan
  5. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Love it.
    Carl.
  6. trooper Member

United-States
    Is this going to be available to purchase? Great figure.
  7. Rob Brown Member

United-States
    that is really cool, great job, I love it
  8. amcairns A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Thanks Guys,
    for the comments,much appreciated.There is still the back of the shoulders to flesh out and some details like the tassles on the headress to add.
    Andy
  9. mil-mart A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Andy, Superb sculpting and a great facial expression, full of character.

Cheers Ken
  10. PHIL WALDEN Member

Hi.!, cobber..
    Great stuff Andy, he has the look of a body well rugged up,against those cold nights,.. also he's one of my most favorite subjects..He's not unlike to look at, Pte. A.Tighe later Corporal,.. from T Patrol who won the M.M.but was later killed in Greece while serving with the SAS....

cheers Cob., Phil...:)
  11. pmfs A Fixture

Portugal
    Another great work.
  12. amcairns A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Gidday All,
    Thanks for the comments.Here,s apic of the bust with tassles added around the scarf made from twisting copper wire.Commente welcome.
    Andy

Attached Files:

13. Mike - The Kiwi A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Looking good Andy, but how will you cast these?
    Could they be a bit chunkier, as I've seen on shemagh and come as separate pieces to glue on perhaps?

Regards,

Mike
  14. amcairns A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Mike,
    The tassles wont be cast,instead I will be sitting in my shed twisting dozens of bits of copper wire.They will be supplied with the kit.The picture I worked from had shorter length tassles so there is a bit of leeway with the dimensions.
    Andy