1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Louisiana Tiger bust (SK miniatures)

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Tarracus, May 30, 2014.

1. Tarracus A Fixture

Hi to all!
    Half the way done on this zouave, but still need a lot of work here and there, plus adding the musket.
    Although I've already painted the cap tassels red, still have my doubts, since I've seen it in blue on other references. Any ideas on that??
    As always, any comment/criticism will be appreciated.
    Cheers,
    Gerard
    IMG_3269.jpg IMG_3270.jpg
    jerry, Mark Dollery, Grod and 18 others like this.
  2. civilladies Member

Scotland
    captnenglish and Tarracus like this.
  3. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Nice work so far!

Colin
    Tarracus likes this.
  4. pmfs A Fixture

Portugal
    Nice blues Gerard!

Cheers
    Tarracus likes this.
  5. swralph A Fixture

Looking good Gerard
    Tarracus likes this.
  6. carl reid A Fixture

England
    Beautiful work as always Gerard!
    Your work always blows me away buddy!

Carl
    Tarracus likes this.
  7. F Troop Active Member

United-States
    Gerard;
    No Tiger Zouave fez or photograph has surfaced to date. The tassel has been depicted as both red and blue so you should be safe with either. Don Toriani did an early print of a Tiger Rifle with a blue tassel, in his later uniform series he showed it red. Keith Rocco shows it blue in his painting as does Brad Schmehl. The Company of Military Historian's plate shows it blue and Osprey shows a red tassel in one book and a blue tassel in another. The yellow edging you painted shows up in most of these references.

There is a supposed Tiger Rifles fez reportedly picked up on the Manassas (1st) battlefield but it does not look like a typical zouave fez. It has extra cording decorations, a double tassel (looks blue), and 3" wide head band plus a cockcade. I don't know the exact provenance on it but I wouldn't be comfortable using it as a reference for the Tigers. In my opinion it is definitley atypical, probably homemade and is gray.

HTH
    napoleonpeart and Tarracus like this.
  8. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Excellent work on this wonderfull sculpt.
    Marc
    Tarracus likes this.
  9. Tarracus A Fixture

Thanks for your clarification Rick, I nearly went crazy with this
    Cheers
  10. kilsh Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Inspiring work Gerard!

Cheers

Neil
    Tarracus likes this.
  11. Wayneb A Fixture

United-States
    Realy nice work Gerard.....Like this bust very much......Wayne
    Tarracus likes this.
  12. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Brilliant work so far Gerard.

Roger.
  13. Tarracus A Fixture

I agree, it has been sculpted by a very promising young folk, we'll have to pay attention to his further pieces:LOL:
    carl reid likes this.
  14. Tarracus A Fixture

Thanks Roger!

I'll post the final pics durnig next week
    billyturnip likes this.
  15. storm_zh Well-Known Member

China
    Very nicely painted. The bust also has a lovely and special pose. Look forward to seeing your final pics soon.
    Tarracus likes this.
  16. Stephan Well-Known Member

Germany
    Is it oils or acrylics? How to get the blue so matt? Like your version very well.
    Tarracus likes this.
  17. polyphemus Well-Known Member

I have this one stashed away. I'm no ACW buff but I've seen references where the Zouave jackets had a form of trefoil decoration on either side of the front of the jacket. Did this only occur on certain regiments?

Lovely painting Gerrard. I too would like to know if it's oils or acrylics.

Geoff
    Tarracus likes this.
  18. Edorta A Fixture

Spain
    Tarracus likes this.
  19. F Troop Active Member

United-States
    Geoff;
    No known photograph or Tiger Rifle zouave jacket has ever come to light. Uniform experts and the better Civil War artists can not seem to agree as to whether the Tiger's had tombeaus (the trefoil decorations). The re-internment of Tiger privates Corcoran and O'Brien in 1978 confirmed the blue color and madder red trim of the jackets but could not determine if tombeaus were present. A.C. Redwood's post-war engraving (1884) hints at a tombeau. Based on a conversation with an avid researcher many years ago, I personally believe the Tigers had tombeaus on their jackets. Either way you are safe because there is no definitive answer....so far.

As to the particular design of the tombeaus they certainly differed between regiments. This is especially true when looking at photos of Union zouave regiments. I would suggest the style used by the 114th Penn or 146th New York for the Tiger Rifles. Historically it would appear that the Tigers at least tried to immitate a zouave uniform. HTH
    napoleonpeart and Tarracus like this.
  20. Tarracus A Fixture

Thanks guys! Flesh tones and haversack are painted on oils, the rest is on acrylics, I used on the blues the scale75 (blue)set