1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Lost Battalion Rogers' Ranger 1759 bust

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Sambaman, Apr 27, 2008.

1. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Well boys and girls, this is a new release from The Lost Battalion. It's the Rogers' Ranger bust sculpted by the capable hands of Mr. Shane Tarry, and perfectly cast in one piece by the crew over at The Lost Battalion. Great to see this neglected subject (in bust form of course) be picked up by TLB! This was a hoot to paint. It has great opportunities for details with the quillwork/beadwork hat band, the shirts provide a myriad of pattern possibilities, and the scarf and hat also provide several options for the painter. I have to add here that I did cheat just a touch (this is box-art after all), the rough texture on the underside of the hat brim (the portion folded up), I added myself. I just couldn't help myself, in my research I saw several versions of this hat and the one with the suede texture just stuck with me. So, I kindly asked Shane and Scott if I could get away with it and they both agreed to let me do it. I used my Mr. Surfacer and an old tooth brush and was able to simulate the nice "raw" suede-like texture of the underside of the brim. The hat band pattern is taken from an Osprey manual, and it's from an illustrated Mohawk belt pattern. This is a really fun piece, well sculpted and with all the color opportunities makes a fun piece when finished! Give Scott over at TLB a shout, I'm sure he'll be happy to ship one out to you! :D

Jay H.
    OKC

Attached Files:

2. Steve Well-Known Member

United-States
    Well that was certainly worth the wait. Incredible as ususal; aside from your kick-hiney flesh tones that quillwork on the hat and the plaid on the shirt is... otherworldly. Way cool.--
  3. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Otherworldly huh? Well, my wife has always said I must be from some other planet! Thanks Steve!

Jay h.
    OKC
  4. Christos Well-Known Member

Greece
    Very good painting my friend,as always!
    chris
  5. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Jay,

Cool bust mate. Nice paint job.

Cheers
  6. Kisifer Well-Known Member

Greece
    Superb work Jay. I really like all the details that you painted...in order to give to this piece a really interesting look.

Xenofon
  7. vergilius New Member

Belgium
  8. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Thanks for the kind words gentlemen!

Jay H.
    OKC
  9. "Tarakaman" New Member

United-States
    Great jog Jay!!! Can't wait to see this one in person! Your set up at the Tulsa show is going to kick buttie!!!

Tulsa show june 20-21
    P.S. love the band on the hat looks great
  10. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Thanks Matt. You must have mistaken me for a runner somehow though.

Jay H.
    OKC
  11. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Well done Jay, it looks great.
    Thanks for sharing.

Cheers
    Roc
  12. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Outstanding painting Jay. I look forward to seeing this one at the Tulsa Show.
  13. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Roc, Guy, thanks for the kind words gentlemen!

Jay H.
    OKC
  14. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    Jay,
    Super job on the bust. Great shades of colour.
    Cheers
    John
  15. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Thanks John, glad you liked him.

Jay H.
    OKC