1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Lost Battalion Rev. War Continental Soldier bust done!

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Sambaman, Jan 11, 2009.

1. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    OK guys and gals, I haven't posted up a finished piece in quite some time. I have been busy on a very large scale project and have been holding out to post any progress on it until I get a bit further along, or get better pics (more on that in just a bit). I have taken a little break from that big ol' project to do a couple historical projects. One is the box art for this little gem, a new release from The Lost Battalion sculpted by the tallented Mr. Shane Tarry. It's a Revolutionary War Continental soldier. It has a nice sort of "every-man" look to it, and the hat, fringed hunting shirt and face were a joy to paint. He is perfectly cast in 2 pieces of off-white resin (the hat is a seperate piece). Hope you like him. The hunting shirt should provide several opportunities for color. I tried to get a look of "sweat lines" on the hat near the band area to give it a more worn look (hope you can tell). This was nice straight forward paint! Scott over at TLB should have him ready for the Atlanta show, hit him up for your copy when you're there! Thanks for looking, any and all comments are welcomed.

Jay H.
    OKc

Attached Files:

2. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Fantastic painting Jay. He really turned out well.
  3. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Thanks Guy, you're "Johnnie-on-the-spot"" aren't you?

Jay H.
    OKc
  4. unknown01 New Member

Japan
    Your work is wonderful!!!!!
    I liked the color of the skin and the color of the clothes.
    Very beautiful!
  5. slaj Well-Known Member

Malta
    Jay, I love it !!! You always shine through with busts

Stephen Mallia
  6. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Another stunning bust Jay.

Marc
  7. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    nice work on the bust jay.

Steve
  8. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hikaru, Stephen, Marc, Steve,
    many thanks for the kind words gentlemen! Glad you like him.

Jay H.
    OKc
  9. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    Jay,
    Another wonderful piece from you. Great colours.
    Cheers,
    John
  10. Kevin D. Active Member

United-States
    Good evening Jay!!

Great bust! Love the shading and highlights in the hunting shirt!!!

Kevin D.
  11. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    John, Kevin, many thanks gents!

Jay H.
    OKc
  12. Nap Forum Moderator

England
    Lost Bn Bust

Jay ,
    Nice release from TLB and very nice painting especailly on the shirt and the hat , you have achieved the aim on the hat especially and done the figure proud .
    What mix did you use on the flesh and shirt ...be interested in the details .

Nap
  13. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Jay,

A lovely bust from TLB. I particularly like the sculpted fringe details on the hunting shirt. Another great paint job mate.
  14. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Tony, Nap thanks gents!

Nap, for the shirt, if I remember correctly, the mix is yellow ochre, T. white, raw umber and just the slightest little touch of cad. red medium (tip of the brush just dabbed in the paint!) to warm the color just slightly. Believe it or not, it's actually my flesh mix in different amounts.

For the hat I actually started with ivory black and I highlighted with white and a touch of yellow ochre. I wasn't happy with the results, so I started over right over the top of that (when it was dry) with a mix for my darkest shadows of raw umber and black. To that I added a touch of T. white and a tiny touch of yellow ochre. I think the brown shades did two things for me, it let me add much more depth of color and gave it a nicer faded/aged quality. Glad you like it! Thanks,

Jay H.
    OKc
  15. Marcel Active Member

Spain
    Jay, fantastic paintwork on this bust!
    The fleshtones and eyes look wonderful.

Regards,
    Marcel.
  16. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Thanks a bunch Marcel!

Jay H.