1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Lost Battalion "Challenge"

Discussion in 'Figure News' started by Darla, Nov 19, 2004.

1. Darla New Member

After reading several of the posts here regarding the depiction of my new releases my husband and I have come up with a little challenge for anyone who wants to take us up on it.
    We will offer the Captain Jack bust for sale at a discounted price of $10.00 US (plus postage) to any Planet Figure member who would like to paint this piece and enter it into a "competition" of sorts. I will then have the local modeling club judge the entries and the winner they select will earn the boxart credits as well as be reimbursed for the cost of the bust. We will also let the winner choose one other of our kits, either in production now or future releases, as an extra incentive. The contest will run from now until December 31st with the winner announced in January. You can submit your entries via email...all I need is a clear, crisp photo and the name of the person submitting the entry. The winning photo then becomes property of The Lost Battalion Miniatures and will be used both on my website and as boxart with credit given to the artist.

As Mark stated it is hard for a small business in todays market and I do what I can and take help where I can to stay in business. Alot of my boxart is done by friends who volunteer their time and talents to help out a friend. Not everyone is a master painter and everyone has different levels of talent. I myself do not paint miniatures at all but that does not mean I don't appreciate the efforts EVERYONE puts into them. If it weren't for the painters of all levels I doubt I would be in business today, because not only do I have accomplished painters buying my kits but also those just starting out.

So if any of you would like to take me up on my challenge all you have to do is let me know.

Darla Meyer
    The Lost Battalion Miniatures
  2. rodsginger New Member

United-States
    Good on TLB, what a great offer, someone should take Darla's offer up.
    Some of my thoughts.
    I am a very average painter, some say lousy as. How come my work is in a number of private collections and Museums here in Aotearoa - New Zealand and all over the world?
    Me thinks, maybe that it has something to do with individual likes and dislikes.
    Walk down to your local Art Gallery and view the works - there is room in this hobby for all kinds of painting styles and standards. The down is that this hobby is bound by fashion and a search for idealism in the mind of the beholder (viewer).
    Good on you Darla for using the resources that you have on hand.
    The only thing that I can offer on box art is - do consider how the photo is taken.
    We all have a good side so-to-speak, one that is more attractive than another, so blast off a lot of images and select the ones that enhance the subject. The backgound can play a big part in the effect as well.
    I for one, look forward to seeing the efforts of the "box art" stakes and would love to see all of the entries published on this site. Just a thought.

Rod

A thought: If I cannot improve the quality of the silence then maybe I should zip up.
  3. Lancer Active Member

Hi Darla
    First let me apologize if my comments were taken in the wrong light. I have never intentionally bashed any individuals work, we all started somewhere and most of us, me included, have a long way to go!
    My comments were based on the business side of marketing the piece, first impressions are everything!
    As for your contest, I can only applaud. Cost effective, creative and the perfect opportunity to tap some of the talent at this site!! I'll call you on Monday and order Captain Jack and perhaps a few more figures as well. A chance you might say, to put my money where my mouth is!
    All the best!
    Mark
  4. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    What a great idea Darla! Good business decision and fun too! Unfortunately I'm still too much of a novice painter to take up this kind of a challenge, but I imagine you'll get several entries and be "spoiled for choice" as my Brit friends used to say.

All the best,
    Dan
    ;)
  5. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Well Darla,

I make my excuses. As i say it before i am painting just almost 1 year. There are several painters here on the planet who can bring just the good off you figure's.
    I am so sorry that i take a hard comment on the paintjob. But as i say before, a great painting for introducing a figure is the half off the selling figure.
    So if you don't mind, and if you send overseas i take the challenge.
    I hope that some off the masters do, then you have a great boxart that (i believe in) sells more than the boxart for now.
    Please take my excuses to the painter.
    For the sculpting i cannot speak, therefore i have to go on the words off Guy. He is an experienced man.

Greetings from Holland.

Marc
  6. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    I got an email from The Lost Battalion and Darla stated that 2 people have entered the "Challenge" that she and her husband gave to all planet figure members.

This is a great opportunity for any member who would like to see their work used as "Box Art" by a major miniature company. There is still plenty of time to take the Challenge and show us what you can do.
  7. Pete_H New Member

When's the deadline for submitting pictures? Time alone can affect the work's outcome and December 31 is right around "the workbench's corner." So what gives?
  8. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    As Darla stated in her original post above.

A month to paint a bust of this size and take a picture for some would be enough time. For others it would not.
  9. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Peeetey!

Duuuude, a month is like enough time to paint atleast 5 of these busts! If you would only get your butt over to the light side maybe we could acctually see you finishing something! :lol: