1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Lord Henry Paget

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by bistray, Jun 20, 2014.

1. bistray Well-Known Member

England
    Hi all, i have recently started this commision piece, its the MMM lord Uxbridge, or Henry Paget, for those of you that dont know him, and im sure its not many, he was the one that got his leg blown off at Waterloo as he was sat on his horse next to Wellington, apparently whats left of his leg is displayed in a museum at Waterloo :( . This figure has 2 legs so its obviously before Waterloo.
    So i got me crayons out and started with the face after it had been primed. For the face im using Life Colour flesh set, ahich consists of 6 different shades. i normally make up 12 colours with a couple of tints with red in.
    So this is where i am at the mo after a couple of runs at it

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

The eyes were a complete pain to paint as they are set quite deep, thanks Carl, and i think ill just thin the eyebrows a bit, other then that a joy. still a few bits to go over and sort but its on the way. all comments welcome especially about the uniform as there is a lot of conflicting info on the web
  2. Nap Moderator

England
    Nice flesh tones ..looking forward to seeing more on this

Thanks for sharing

Nap
    bistray likes this.
  3. clrsgt A Fixture

United-States
    Well done face painting. Makes the figure look entirely different than the b/w photos. Will be following your progress.
    bistray likes this.
  4. Grod A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Looks good Paul. What colour do you use for the 5 o clock shadow - when I try to do it it turns out looking green!
    Gordon
    bistray likes this.
  5. bistray Well-Known Member

England
    Thanks for looking in guys

Gordon for the 5 o clock shadow just add a very small bit of blue to the base skin tone
  6. Grod A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Thanks mate I will give it a whirl.
    bistray likes this.
  7. Jeff T A Fixture

Australia
    Very nice work on the face Paul!

Excellent tones and blending.

Cheer's,
    Jeff.
    bistray likes this.
  8. Gra30 PlanetFigure Supporter

Nice work and very nice painting, I am pretty sure anyone who appreciates Napoleonic history will know who Henry Paget was.
    I think there will be a surge of napoleonic figures over the next 12 months and this is a great piece, your painting of this is one of the best I have seen.
    I have followed your sculpting but prefer your brush skills, very nice tones and blending and think your forte

Best wishes and very nice, looking forward to more of your paints
    Gra
    bistray likes this.
  9. NickM Well-Known Member

Australia
    I've seen this figure before and been tempted to buy it myself, even though Napoleonics aren't my usual thing - it's a very striking figure, and I like the pose.

Your skin tones are looking top notch so far, nice job. Looking forward to seeing more and how you tackle that rich uniform.
  10. swralph A Fixture

Very nice flesh tones
    bistray likes this.
  11. Tonton Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Paget.jpg Paul, I really admire what you’ve done so far but, if the following portrait is anything to go by, Lord Paget’s colouring was quite delicate and perhaps not quite as rugged as you’ve portrayed. His eyebrows are certainly quite thick, inboard – toward the bridge of the nose – but not as thick as sculpted and I think you’re right to thin them out. His hair seems to have been a light brown, thinning considerably, with auburn tints to the facial hair, so the five o’clock shadow might not be very prominent.

I know I may be too pedantic and hope that these comments haven’t thrown a spanner in the works for you. Having seen other examples of your work, I know the result will be superb, whatever I say!

Jeff
  12. bistray Well-Known Member

England
    Many thanks for all the great comments guys, all appreciated,
    Gra cheers bud, i do enjoy the sculpting, although i havnt been sculpting for as long as i have been painting, loads to learn on that but you know what they sy, practice, practice, practice

Jeff, there are several pics of Uxbridge done by different artists, the one good thing about a painting over a photo is the artist has his discretion, whereas a photo pictures it just how it is, i have no doubt that this is a good likeness but some have him with dark brown hair others it looks almost black. I dont think that i am good enough to get this to look just like him, the nose on the figure is different from this picture and he has a slightly longer face, but at the end of the day its a portrayal.
    Thanks for looking in
    Wings5797 likes this.
  13. bistray Well-Known Member

England
    Thinkind ahead a bit of help with the uniform would be good, Jacket Blue with gold lacing, pellisse Blue also gold lacing, trousers were they dark grey or blue, on pictures ive seen his trousers appeared to be grey, red and gold waist sash ??????
  14. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Paul I thinking you are doing a great job in the painting. When the sculpt came out I noted to myself that the nose was off.....Paget had a bit of a Wellingtonian beak. But the uniform is so superbly done that it's a great sculpture anyway. I think you are right to paint him up per your own style and be happy with the results you are getting.

Colin
    Wings5797 and bistray like this.
  15. kilsh Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Paul

Really enjoyed doing the bust so looking forward to how the full figure develops for you!

Cheers

Neil
    bistray likes this.
  16. bistray Well-Known Member

England
    Cheers Colin and Neil (y)

Bit more done today, painted the busby, black base coat and then highlighted with burnt umber with top most highlights of burnt umber with a bit of white. ive also painted the collar and started the NMM on the edging, bit more to do on that. Ive also adjusted the face a bit and made the eyebrows not so in yer face and added a few more bits of shading and highighting

[IMG]
    [IMG]

[IMG]

I have assumed that the cravat would be white but i could be wrong, thanks for looking in
  17. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Great step forward with this great painting.

Marc
    bistray likes this.
  18. Gra30 PlanetFigure Supporter

I am exactly the same mate.
    I am no sculptor but it pays :)

I certainly resoect your brush skills and are very very good.
    Best wishes mate
    Gra, keep posting :)
    bistray likes this.
  19. bistray Well-Known Member

England
    Many thanks Marc :)

Gra the same to you mate (y)

moving on i base coated the jacket and started the shading on the sleeves and the gold embroidery work

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Does anyone know the colour of the busby, i have done it black but i have seen pictures where it is brown ??????????
    more to follow thanks for looking in
    Mike Stevens, NickM and Stephan like this.
  20. Captain Lol A Fixture

Belgium
    Great paint on face (y)
    bistray likes this.