1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Looking for workshop recommendations from those in the know...

Discussion in 'Figure Shows, Workshops and Events' started by gerryj199, Oct 21, 2019.

1. gerryj199 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Hi,
    At the beginning of October I finally retired from the 9 to 5 and I plan to spend lots of my time with my modeling. I've been watching lots of instructional videos to help me improve, but I thought that it might be fun to finally attend some of the shows in North America (and maybe even Europe) and hopefully attend some workshops with great artists and modelers.

Apart from this forum, can anyone recommend any websites where I might find out about upcoming Master workshops in the US and Canada?

Also, does the MFCA show include any workshops? Their website doesn't seem to mention any.

About 10 years ago I attended one with Julio Cabos and really enjoyed it. But I'd love to get the opportunity to get instruction from painters like Kirill Kanaev, Diego Ruina, Sergey Popovichenko, Marc Masclans and others.

I will try to attend the World Expo in Holland next year but that will depend on a number of factors.

Appreciate any suggestions.
    Best wishes
    Gerry
    theBaron likes this.
  2. theBaron A Fixture

United-States
    Hi, Gerry!

Regarding the MFCA show, we do have workshops, but a slate may not be put together till after the new year, in the months leading up to the show. So, yes, we have nothing yet on the website, nor in the Facebook group (another place to check). Last year, we had informal demos, held in the promenade area of the hotel. We had a workbench set up, and different established artists sat in and demonstrated their techniques. I remember best that Marion Ball spent time painting and talking with people. In 2018, we had some more formal seminars, held in one of the smaller suites upstairs. I think Stephen Mallia held one of those seminars.

This year, we're talking about expanding the area to include space where club members and patrons can sit and work on things, as an informal exhibition for the public. We do this at our monthly meetings on the first Friday of every month, and at events held in cooperation with AAA Hobbies just across the river, in Magnolia, NJ.

Prost!
    Brad
  3. gerryj199 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Thanks Brad.

I've reserved a hotel room for the show and hope to be there!!
    Gerry
    theBaron likes this.
  4. theBaron A Fixture

United-States
    I look forward to meeting you in person, Gerry. I'll be at the admissions table, or running around with the dealers. I also tend bar with Hershbell at the hospitality suite, so we're bound to see each other at some point.

Prost!
    Brad
  5. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    Gerry,
    Scale 75 USA hold several workshops in Southlake Tx throughout the year. Including Julio Cabos and others. You can find details from their website and ask to be put on the classes email list.
    Cheers
    John
  6. gerryj199 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States

Thank you John.
    I'll check that out.
    Best regards
    Gerry