1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Looking for some references.....

Discussion in 'Painting Techniques' started by lock-n-load, Dec 29, 2008.

1. lock-n-load Active Member

United-States
    Hello all. I am currently working on two 120mm resin figures and need some assistance with the uniform/colors/references. The figures are:
    - Jeff Shiu's Fallschirmjager w/Sten MK.II-Ardennes 1944
    - Maurice Corry German MG-42 gunner, standing w/the weapon slung over his shoulder.
    Neither kit came with any color reference photos or painting guides or even a photo of a finished figure. Before I start I would like a better idea what is the correct uniforms for these figures. If anyone out there on the Planet can offer any assistance, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks, and happy holidays to all!
    Cheers!
    Mike
  2. IIICorps Active Member

United-States
  3. lock-n-load Active Member

United-States
    very helpful, thank you!
  4. dinovision79 Active Member

Hi Mike,

the Jeff Shiu figure is currently on my workbench too, such a great sculpt! The jumpsmock can be grey or splinter pattern (classic and marsh), grey pants, the helmet usually dark blue (almost black), brown gloves, do a google search on the items, you'll find a plenty of references! Also, try it here on pF, there are a good couple of nice figures which can help you! Note, that if you plan to do it as the original photo, you'll need camo mesh on the helmet.
    If you mean the Maurice Corry HJ MG gunner in the one piece combination, it should be Italian Camo (from 1944, typical for HJ in Normandy), again, try the internet for references. Note, that the front pocket on the left thigh is positioned way too high (and is actually optional, it doesn't have to be there). If you want to depict an earlier scene than '44, the original, earlier combi in plane tree/blurred edge/oak patterns (plenty of pics on the net) were issued to panzer and armoured vechicles crews, possibily used by panzergrenadiers as well, the latter two could be your option.

Hope this helps, look forward to see the painted versions!
    Denes
  5. lock-n-load Active Member

United-States
    Denes:
    Thanks for the update. I have both figures in primer, and want to try to "get it right". Thanks for the input. Working from black and white photos can be dificult, and the Axis figures are not my usual choice. Both figures are excellent sculpts, and I will post some pix when I make more progress. Thanks again for your input.
    Cheers!
    Mike
  6. dinovision79 Active Member

No problem Mike! I enjoy camo uniforms too much :) Let me know if you need any photos.

Denes
  7. lock-n-load Active Member

United-States
    Hello again, Denes:
    Do you happen to have a color reference or photo of the '44 one-piece coveralls in the correct camo pattern? As it happens, because I am not really sure what I am looking for when I do a Google Image search for this item. I see so many different variations I actually end up more confused. Can you offer any further advice or assistance? Thanks again. Mike
  8. dinovision79 Active Member

Hi Mike,

will check it after work, hold on! :)

Denes
  9. Kirky New Member

United-Kingdom
    Jeff shui

Hi Mike / all

Mike good luck with your figures - can you tell me were to get Jeff shui figures from as i really like both the Fallschrimjager and the ss Kharkov machine gunner - thanks guys and good luck with your figs, mike - am about to start S&t products luftwaffe feild div figure which is a similair pattern to the jumpsmock

Best RGDS from UK

kIRKY
  10. dinovision79 Active Member

11. lock-n-load Active Member

United-States
    Hello Kirky,
    I am ex-82nd Airborne (Air Defense Artillery here!). I saw your other post that you are an ex-para, too!!!
    Denes gave you the right advice.....Jeff's website direct or like I did...e-Bay.
    Cheers!
    Mike
    Denes;
    Thanks, this is a huge help.
    I love this website/forum!!!
  12. Kirky New Member

United-Kingdom
    Thanks Gents

Dear Mike and Denes,

Thanks for the link to Jeff shui, Mike, i was a 105mm Light gunner, initially a gun bunny , moving on to FOO asst, did time as airborne and air assualt,

Those were the days !!

All the best

Kirky :)
  13. Kirky New Member

United-Kingdom
    Any chance of sharing Denes Ref material please

Hey mike/ Denes , could i be slightly presumptious and ask you to forward the ref material via PM to me as well to help with future projects and the S&T LFD figure? - Just had a look at Jeffs site - fantastic figures, Going to have to get The SS Kharkov MG gunner, Denes your paint job on this fig has inspired me !

Thanks Gents

Kirky:)